Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-11-2023, 04:45 AM
Free Member

Hi everyone!

my current setup in digitizing vhs tapes is:
Highend VCR + TBC (S-video) -> AJA V2Digital converter -> Blackmagic Video Assist (recording to Prores). So no computer is involved.

Do you think better picture quality can be achieved if I do the capture via a PC?

I am therefore researching what the best quality USB capture device is. Because I work with a laptop, a PCI card is not an option for me, so I'm looking for the best USB device for capturing with VirtualDub and Huffyuv. I have read many topics and it turned out that the ATI 600 USB delivers the best quality. However, it can no longer be found on both Amazon and eBay. What do you think is the 'second best'? Devices I come across on this forum are the:
- ATI 650USB
- Diamond Multimedia VC500
- Hauppauge USB Live2
- Dazzle DVC100
- IO Data GV-USB2
- Canopus ADVC-50/55/100/110 (+ Firewire to USB converter)

What's your advice? Price is irrelevant.

P.S. Also Matrox MXO2 Minis and LEs are for sale on eBay. Is it true that these are not an option for me, because I use a macbook pro or a windows laptop?

Thank you very much!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-12-2023, 12:57 AM
Free Member

If you're interested in a Tevion ATI 600 USB clone card, lordsmurf might still have one available here (as of December):
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mar...ati-600-a.html
The following users thank oreo137 for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-12-2023)
01-12-2023, 02:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVR View Post
Hi everyone!
my current setup in digitizing vhs tapes is:
Highend VCR + TBC (S-video) ->
What is this "high end" VCR with TBC? Brand, model?

Quote:
AJA V2Digital converter -> Blackmagic Video Assist (recording to Prores). So no computer is involved.
Terrible gear for converting SD consumer analog formats, like VHS. Ugly quality output, issues.

Quote:
Do you think better picture quality can be achieved if I do the capture via a PC?
Yes.

Quote:
I am therefore researching what the best quality USB capture device is. Because I work with a laptop, a PCI card is not an option for me, so I'm looking for the best USB device for capturing with VirtualDub and Huffyuv.
USB is fine (even with a desktop), wise choice to upgrade.

Quote:
I have read many topics and it turned out that the ATI 600 USB delivers the best quality. However, it can no longer be found on both Amazon and eBay. What do you think is the 'second best'? Devices I come across on this forum are the:
Remember to check the marketplace!

Quote:
- ATI 650USB
- Diamond Multimedia VC500
- Dazzle DVC100
No, never, problems.

Quote:
- Canopus ADVC-50/55/100/110 (+ Firewire to USB converter)
Lousy option, very lossy.

Quote:
- Hauppauge USB Live2
- IO Data GV-USB2
Some PAL users here like these, but these are not card I suggested.

Quote:
What's your advice? Price is irrelevant.
P.S. Also Matrox MXO2 Minis and LEs are for sale on eBay. Is it true that these are not an option for me, because I use a macbook pro or a windows laptop?
This is a somewhat messy situation, and non-standard (ie, VirtualDub, Huffyuv, etc). For casual users, this isn't something I'd suggest, and it's not even something I have time to mess with right now. Just stop, back away slowly from the Matrox.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-12-2023, 12:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
What is this "high end" VCR with TBC? Brand, model?
Sorry for not being specific. It's the Sony SVO-5800P. Earlier I owned the JVC HR-S7600U, Panasonic NV-FS200 and Panasonic NV-HS 1000. But the Sony gives me the best picture quality by far.

Quote:
Terrible gear for converting SD consumer analog formats, like VHS. Ugly quality output, issues.

I am really interested in why this workflow is so terrible. Because of the analog-digital converter of AJA? Does that make it compressed or something?

Quote:
USB is fine (even with a desktop), wise choice to upgrade.
Thanks, I would love to improve/upgrade the process.

Quote:
Remember to check the marketplace!
Yes I have sent you a pm!

Quote:
Just stop, back away slowly from the Matrox.
Haha okay, I will forget Matrox immediately.