Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-21-2023, 12:37 AM
Free Member

I thought I had a really nice capture from VHS using ATI600 and VDub and it looks good. However, now I see the audio is 500ms behind the video. I'm playing it in Smplayer and when I audio, audio delay and put in -500 msec it is pretty much in sync. I have already planned to take the large avi file and reduce it. I have another post on this. Now I wonder if I can adjust the audio as I do this and would appreciate suggestions on the best way to go about it. Below are the specs of the captured video. Thanks.

Code:
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile : OpenDML
File size : 64.6 GiB
Duration : 1 h 56 min
Overall bit rate : 79.6 Mb/s

Video
ID : 0
Format : HuffYUV
Format version : Version 2
Codec ID : HFYU
Bit rate : 78.0 Mb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 3:2
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 7.533
Stream size : 63.3 GiB (98%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings : Little / Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 1.25 GiB (2%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 32 ms (0.95 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 222 ms
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-21-2023, 12:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
What is the hardware workflow?
TBCs properly being used?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-21-2023, 12:55 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
What is the hardware workflow?
TBCs properly being used?
I am going from a Sony VHS player to ATI600 to a Dell Laptop running XP. The laptop is pretty much just used for the occasional capture. I try to keep it's internal hard drive with plenty of space. I haven't used it much since the last time I tried capturing from a camcorder. At that time I defragged it. I don't know what you mean by TBC's. I have to have a look as to what that is. There didn't seem to be any error as I was capturing that I noticed. Thanks.
ps now I looked it up and see Time Based Correction. I'm using a Sony SLV-D300P to play the VHS tape. I just borrowed this deck and in terms of how the video looks I'm satisfied. I did 3 long tapes. So the question I have is should I try to recapture the tapes or adjust the captures I have. If so the best way to proceed? Thanks.

Last edited by Ohank; 01-21-2023 at 01:40 AM.
01-21-2023, 03:10 AM
Free Member

Definitely no need to re-capture. In VDub, just apply the audio offset (Audio>Interleaving>Audio Skew Correction) and then Save As your file.

I find AmarecTV is better at maintaining audio sync, but as long as the out-of-sync is linear, ie not increasing or variable, it's easy to correct if you like using VDub to capture.

AmarecTV guide here:
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post86872
01-21-2023, 12:19 PM
Free Member

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. I'm going to be studying those options. Do you think an old RCA cable could cause an audio lag? I just grabbed one that seemed OK but must be pretty old. I have a post earlier where I asked advice to get the big Avi file down in size. Would it better to adjust the sync first and then do this or might I be able to do both at the same time? Cheers

-- merged --

By the way, this may have opened up a whole can of worms. I thought I'd successfully captured a bunch of old Hi8 or 8mm camcorder music concert tapes last year. The 1st two files I pulled up the audio was slightly off. One the audio was going too fast like making people have slightly higher voices than normal. Oh my!

-- merged --

I downloaded AMV4 and Amarectv and installed as far as I could go. When I press record button I get the error:"ICCompressGetFormat". I've been using my old DellE1705 laptop because it has XP to work with Vdub and the ATI600. Could I run Amarectv on my win10 laptop? I guess the ATI600 wouldn't work right there? Anyway, if I understand the errors right it seems my older laptop doesn't have the right cpu for Amarectv? https://postimg.cc/gallery/fbg0NLM

-- merged --

Why can't I take the ATI600 and stick it in my Win10 laptop (with a much better processor) and capture to mkv format? I just tried it. Certainly no audio lag. I'm not sure I can see much of a difference in video. Thanks for any advice.
01-21-2023, 08:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Lack of TBC almost always causes audio issue with capture. Frames drop, audio doesn't.

Microsoft screwed something up in a Win10 update a few years ago, and multiple capture cards no longer work, including all ATI 600 USB and clones. Many cards based on many chips now have issues. It's not the card's fault, it's Microsoft. AmaRecTV won't help, nor will anything else. It's an OS-level issue. Do not use Win19 for this card, or most cards. Win10 itself is lousy for capturing, with few exceptions.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Ohank (01-22-2023)
01-21-2023, 10:46 PM
Free Member

Since your card obviously "works" with Win 10, I'd give capturing with VDub or AmarecTV a shot so that you end up with a lossless file to improve, as opposed to an MKV, which will probably be in a lossy codec. Bear in mind my earlier comment re VDub; it does give me sync issues at times.
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: Ohank (01-22-2023)
01-22-2023, 03:49 PM
Free Member

I'll check them out. Thanks