Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-29-2023, 11:25 PM
Free Member

I've recently started getting into VHS digitizing, but I've noticed some issues and would like to ask for advice/information, even after reading a lot of forum threads.v

For my workflow, I have a consumer grade Philips VCR going into a Panasonic ES15 then going into an Avermedia CE310B card in my PC (can't afford a TBC, sorry lordsmurf). To capture I'm using VirtualDub as I've seen prescribed by many users. I don't require the highest quality or perfect capture, however I do want something decent, and what's really frustrating me is audio sync issues. It seems I can set VirtualDub to either sync the audio by resampling the audio and have everyone sound like chipmunks, or I can set it to not resync, and then the audio is off. I've tried changing the audio length but it never seems right, even when I've changing the lengths to match. The frustrating thing is I don't have nearly the sync issues when I tested using Avermedia Capture Studio, but I would rather use something that produces better visual results.

Is there a better way? Or at least, do you have some other recommended steps. Alternatively, is this the best I can expect?

Another thing I've noticed is choppy captured video. It feels like every second or 2 of my capture there's this slight jump. I've noticed quite a few dropped frames so I'm assuming it's mostly due to that, however VirtualDub also detects my VCR's output framerate to be ~31FPS, is it possible my VCR's speed is just fucked up? However, again, I don't notice that in the test videos I did in the Avermedia software. Otherwise I'm happy with the video quality I've received visually, especially after playing around with the included filters in lordsmurf's VirtualDub download.

Any advice would be appreciate, and thanks for reading.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-30-2023, 12:46 AM
Free Member

Try AmarecTV for capture (use the 3.1 version):

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post86872

You can then bring the captured file into VDub for editing/processing.
01-30-2023, 01:38 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post

Thanks, I appreciate the recommendation. I'll definitely give that a shot.

Still open for any and all input anyone else has as well.
02-01-2023, 01:56 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post

This was the solution. When I tried to capture with VirtualDub, I had just under 9000 dropped frames in my approx 1 hour video. Using the exact same equipment AmaRecTV reported zero. Which also seems weird considering it's a 2nd gen home video recording from the 90s, but the video is clearly smoother and the audio syncs. I still really like using VirtualDub's filter processing however.
02-01-2023, 02:35 AM
Free Member

Good stuff, @seeyanexttuesday. Thanks for the feedback.