12-26-2023, 06:04 PM
Free Member

Hello. I am beginning my video convert journey to get all the families home videos converted, but when I view my first file outputted by VituralDub, the quality is less than steallr

I followed Sanlyn's guide for setting up VituralDub and no issues with that as far as I can tell.

The video seems to be pixelated or blurry when there is motion. When viewed on ATI MMC, the video is clear and no issue.

It almost looks as the resolution is incorrect but I am not sure what I am doing wrong. The video seems like it has horizontal lines running though the motion areas if that makes sense. I am capturing at 720x480. I apologize if I am not using the correct terminology.

This happens in the live preview and also the converted file.

Rig
Dell Dimension 8300
Windows XP 32bit
2GB Memory
ATI AIW 9000
SB Live

Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U

Any help would be greatly apricated!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sample 1.jpg (50.7 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg Vitural Dub.jpg (32.6 KB, 11 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: avi Video Convert Sample.avi (68.70 MB, 10 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-26-2023, 08:53 PM
Free Member

Your capture is interlaced still, so when looking at it in most programs it'll look a bit off. If you are trying to preserve the highest quality - you'd hold onto that raw capture just in case there becomes a future way of better deinterlacing or conversion. But for actual playback and distribution, Usually the workflow would be to capture as you have done and then run through something like the Hybrid App which can to QTGMC deinterlacing. You'll probably want to do that part on a modern Windows PC. Hybrid for Mac seems to have the QTGMC part broken unfortunately. I'll see if I can pop onto my Windows PC here in a minute and post what your same clip looks like deinterlaceds that way and repost.
The following users thank aramkolt for this useful post: camry_dude (12-26-2023)
12-26-2023, 10:54 PM
Free Member

Interestingly, that wouldn't run through Hybrid since the vertical resolution is 477 and the colorspace requires an even number of pixels. Cropping it by 1 pixel or adding pixels also causes the conversion to crash. So something is up with that capture for sure. Maybe you have something cropped in settings? You should be capturing at either 704x480 or 720x480.
The following users thank aramkolt for this useful post: camry_dude (12-26-2023)
12-26-2023, 11:06 PM
Free Member

Try this file, I reset the cropping in VituralDub, even though it was showing 0 for all the axis. Hopefully that helps

Attached Files
File Type: avi Tape_1.avi (95.19 MB, 6 downloads)
12-27-2023, 11:42 PM
Free Member

Here's what I came up with for hybrid with 59.94fps

Cropped 8 pixels from each side (yes, that techincally will mess up the aspect ratio a bit, MP3 Audio, 5000kbps, with QTGMC/bob deinterlacing, 640x480 resize for 4:3 aspect ratio. Technically the top and bottom should be "padded" with 8 pixels of black bar each, but for some reason, hybrid seems to want to add the black bars/padding AFTER it has been rescaled rather than before which defeats the purpose. Someone probably knows how to have it put the black bars in without messing up the 4:3 Aspect ratio, but it isn't clear to me at this point yet. I believe there's probably a better way to do it with pixel aspect ratio, would be curious to hear how others do theirs.

For myself, I haven't really gotten to the post-capturing stage, so definitely not an expert with all of those settings.

Check the attached sample for what I was able to do with your clip and let me know if that is on par with the quality you were expecting.

Does seem like the clip itself has whites that are too bright at least and were probably clipped during capture. You could probably turn down the proc amp settings in your capture card so that they aren't blown out, or it's possible its encoded on the tape that way too.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 test5.mp4 (4.77 MB, 14 downloads)
The following users thank aramkolt for this useful post: camry_dude (12-28-2023)
12-28-2023, 03:21 PM
Free Member

That looks a lot better, thank you! I didn't want to start capturing lots of video and have to redo the capture portion. Knowing these are all home videos, quality will always be a bit suspect but my main goal is to save them from further deterioration.

I will try playing with the whites in the capture process and see if I can continue to finetune the results

Next step is to figure out all of the post processing techniques.

Thanks again!