01-09-2023, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Please hear me out before you tell me I am doing it all wrong. I am willing to learn and grow in my skillset and hardware investments. Recently I made a big investment in a VCR and now I need to learn a new and additional method of capturing VHS and Beta tapes to digital. I just picked up a JVC VHS deck from LordSmurf. I am happy with this deck.
Occasionally I run into a problem with the audio falling out of sync with the video ever so slightly over the length of the mp4 i have copied. Drives me nut.
My set up is as follows.
JVC VHS HR-DVS3U
Elgato Video capture cable and software. I have been told that this is not the best method of capture but it has served its purpose for me for quite some time but now I know that i need to learn VirtualDub.
I have selected the following settings in the Preferences of the Elgato Video Capture software.
High Resolution is checked and Preserve Source Format is checked.
I have a new Windows 10 PC that has an i7 8700T cpu @ 2.4ghz with 32g ram.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
Typically I run the mp4 that i created through Adobe Premiere Pro for editing.

I am open to any and all advice on how to solve this AV sync problem and steps i can take to improve my process and final product.
Thank you for your time.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-12-2023, 08:50 PM
Free Member

The syncing issue could be due to the need to convert the video on the fly to MP4.

Try capturing in lossless format (HUFFYUV or Lagarith) then bring that file into Premiere. That will also result in a better quality file than MP4 for further editing.

In my experience, AmarecTV is better than VDub for maintaining audio sync over longer captures. Any sync errors I get are linear and only a couple of frames (~100ms) out and are easily adjusted.

AmarecTV guide by Lollo here:

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post84654

More AmarecTV info here:
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post86872

If you want to try VDub, use version "1.9.11+Filters" from here:
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...lters-pre.html

There used to be a guide by member Sanlyn for capturing with VDub but I can't find it.
01-13-2023, 07:12 AM
Free Member

Is it a uniform sync loss that increases evenly over time, or is it occasional jumps with uniform periods between jumps?

Are you using VBR or CBR in the MP4s?
01-14-2023, 08:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylars83 View Post
Elgato Video capture cable and software.
This is the problem.

Quote:
the mp4 that i created t
This is the problem.

Quote:
I am open to any and all advice on how to solve this AV sync problem and steps i can take to improve my process and final product.
- better capture card
- never capture to compressed lossy distribution formats ("MP4", surely heavily compressed H.264 knoinw this hardware and software)

Easy fix.
Better gear, better software, proper settings, and done.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-08-2023, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

OK LS what is your recommendation for better gear to use with the JVC vcr i got from you?
04-08-2023, 01:28 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylars83 View Post
OK LS what is your recommendation for better gear to use with the JVC vcr i got from you?
Recommended TBC and capture card, to add to the recommended VCR.

Check your PMs in a bit, I recently acquired something that you should want.

Trying to dabble with non-recommended items, budget items, always ends in grief. Even with lower degrees of "success" (debatable), at best some version of excuses for low quality (to self, to others, or both). Assuming anything works at all. Frustration, loss of sanity. There's always a cost with video, trading dollars for misery is too common.

These are just tools for the task of video conversion. No different from lawn mowers, vacuum cleaners, washing machines, etc. Using the wrong gear for video is not too different from trying to cut the grass with scissors, using a broom on carpet, or washing everything by hand. It'll never be a good thorough job, and obnoxious to perform the task.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-09-2023, 01:26 PM
Free Member

Don't use Elgato Video Capture, is one of the worst capture cards out there, I would use an ATI 600 USB, ATI 600 USB Clone or a Pinnacle.
04-10-2023, 08:17 AM
Free Member

A simple fix might be stretching/shrinking the audio to match the video. Worked for me in the past.
Saves the headache of re-capturing over and over again!
04-10-2023, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Some of the files are dramatically out of sync and some are barely perceptible. I have many steps in my process i need to examine more closely. It appears that processing through Premiere Pro creates come sync issues as well but some of the out of sync issues also occur in the original captures.
I have quite a bit of trial and error to conduct.

I copied one of my vhs tapes using the elgato and virtualdub but it was over 130 GIG!!! I know its a lossless copy but that is almost un manageable to process when my goal is a 4 to 5 gig final file size.
I know that i have a lot to learn but we are all at different stages in out learning.

Thanks for all your replies.
04-10-2023, 09:10 AM
Free Member

You originally said "Occasionally I run into a problem with the audio falling out of sync with the video ever so slightly over the length of the mp4 i have copied."

Now you say, "Some of the files are dramatically out of sync and some are barely perceptible."

You could try capturing smaller scenes and editing together.
04-10-2023, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

Yes i did say that before but upon further research I am finding more that vary widely.
Thanks