Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-23-2023, 07:12 AM
Free Member

Is it possible that the device above (with the software 'Magix Video easy 5 TerraTec Edition' - not full version) records audio also from the outside, through the microphone, even if audio input is not set to the microphone but to the VCR's audio output? Because I heard at the end of captures that the VCR, after reaching the end of the tape, starts to rewind. In the video file, it is audible only if I turn up the volume of the laptop to 100%, and even so, it is not loud. Or is it possible that while rewinding very fast, the VCR outputs the sound through its audio output (SCART)?

Details:

-VCR: Toshiba V221EG
-Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad L430
-Connections: A cable with a SCART (with the IN/OUT switch set to OUT) at one end (this goes to the VCR) and RCA connectors at the other end (these go to the Terratec Grabby). The USB capture device does not go directly to the laptop's blue USB port, but through an USB cable. (The device cannot be separated from its USB cable.)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-23-2023, 08:22 AM
Free Member

I would say not.

On the Recording Quality screen, In "Advanced", make sure your audio source is set to the Terratec, and not something like Stereo Mix.

I don't have that digitiser but do have VE 7 and there are a few audio options in the drop down menu. Try each of the Terratec options.

If no further help is forthcoming here, come over to the Magix Video Easy forum here:

https://www.magix.info/us/video-forum/video-easy/
04-23-2023, 08:48 AM
Free Member

"I would say not."

What do you mean by this? That it can record sounds, voices outside the VCR and the VHS tape, or that it cannot?

The audio is otherwise good, so it records both the video and the audio from the VHS, but the above question ("That it can record sounds, voices outside the VCR and the VHS tape") came to my mind. Audio source is not set to Stereo Mix (I don't even have this option), but to Terratec Grabby. Then, it records *only* the VHS's audio, and nothing through the microphone?
04-23-2023, 08:57 AM
Free Member

Quote:
What do you mean by this? That it can record sounds, voices outside the VCR and the VHS tape, or that it cannot?
You should not be getting microphone audio when recording using the Grabby. Try disabling your microphone in Windows. I'm not on Win 7 so can't help with disabling your Mic, but it should be somewhere in Audio (right-click the speaker in the system tray and look at the settings/options there).
04-23-2023, 09:11 AM
Free Member

I am on Win 10. I did not disable the microphone, but should I have done it? Does the software automatically turn it on? Do you mean that it records simultaneously from Terratec and from microphone? So is this why I have heard the VCR rewinding at the end of captures? When rewinding, it is not in Playback mode, but can it still output the sound it makes when it rewinds the tape?
04-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Free Member

Isn't the Microphone automatically disabled when I switch to Terratec Grabby in the Audio Source menu? I always switched to this, because otherwise no audio comes from the VHS tape. And when audio does come from the VHS, the microphone is no longer active?
04-23-2023, 09:37 AM
Free Member

I say again, you should not be getting mic audio when capturing using VideoEasy. If set up properly, VE will not record both the VHS audio coming from the the SCART and the laptop mic.

I suggested disabling the mic only for troubleshooting, because if you are getting mic audio on your VHS capture there is something seriously wrong, system-wise. In Win 10, right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray (by the clock) and click "open sound settings". Then click on "manage sound devices" and disable your mic. Then try a capture when you're rewinding. While you're at it, speak into your mic to confirm your are actually hearing mic noise.
05-01-2023, 09:12 AM
Free Member

Today I did two tests:

-With the same device and software as above, but the microphone turned off in Win 10's audio settings. Result: The VCR's rewinding was audible.

-I recorded the Toshiba's rewinding with another VCR, a Funai 31D-850. (On the Funai, I used the front RCA connectors as input. On the Toshiba, I used the same Scart output as what I use when capturing on the laptop.) Result: The rewinding was audible.

My conclusion is that the Toshiba outputs the sound of rewinding on its audio output. This is why even a VCR, which does not have a microphone, could record this sound.

Tags
audio, capture, usb