Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-09-2023, 05:34 PM
Free Member

Hi, I already posted this question in a thread about installing the 510 USB, but I haven't found the answer yet: https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post90503

I'll quote the post here to keep everything in one place. Some of this refers to steps described in the install thread:
Quote:
Setting up my USB-510 for the first time with a Windows 7 desktop capturing with Virtualdub2.

I searched around on here and I think I followed all the steps the right way - Driver installed, rebooted, crossbar thing, open virtualdub, preview mode.

Signal is definitely passing through s-video, but the capture preview only displays the first unmoving frame of video with super choppy audio. I tried refreshing the signal by switching some settings and then switching them back, but it refreshes with a different single video frame. I set up a capture avi file just to see what would happen -- the resulting audio is fine, no longer choppy, but the video only captures the same single frame.
I tried removing the x64 driver and installing the x86 driver, both linked in the thread above, figuring maybe the x64 was causing the problem. As of now, the x86 version won't complete its installation on my comp so I have no way to check if this is the issue.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-09-2023, 08:39 PM
Free Member

Try VDub 1.9.11; according to LS it is more stable for captures:

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...lters-pre.html

If no go and no further suggestions, try AmarecTV:

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post86872

My 710-USB works sometimes on Win 10. I've never really got on top of the issues with it and it is now consigned to the bottom drawer. The drivers I use are from Pinnacle (which I think are the same as the Digital FAQ ones, but haven't checked recently):

http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...0f005a0a1c0e10
05-10-2023, 12:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,481 Times in 2,110 Posts
VirtualDub 1.9.x, with proper settings, is the first attempt, always.
When fail, ask for help with settings.

VirtualDub2 is the fallback. Again, proper settings, ask for help as needed.

AmaRecTV gets oversuggested. There is something going on there that requires further inspection.
AmaRecTV is when nothing else works. That said, it works with few cards, mostly Hauppauge and ATI. It almost never works with Pinnacle cards. It's just buggy software, and was never well vetted by the video capture community. It's as old as VirtualDub, and was originally released in non-English (Japanese) as an analog version of OBS for webcam and video games. Webcam/game has different needs and allowances for duping/adding/dropping frames.

There are actually other programs I'd suggest after VirtualDub, before AmaRecTV, but it just never gets there, VirtualDub almost always eventually works fine with settings tweaked. Those were better vetted in their day.

Regarding exact issue here...

Have you tried Preview vs Overlay mode?
In Preview Acceleration, see how the different modes respond.

The issue is likely the graphics card. What is in the system?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-11-2023, 06:20 AM
Free Member

Hi there. I had a 710 USB since 2009, and I remember having the exact same problem with a Win7 laptop, forcing me to buy a different device. With my current PC it doesn't have the same problem.

Sounds like some sort of incompatibility with some USB controller.