04-22-2021, 09:17 AM
Free Member

I recently bought a Pinnacle 510 USB and need help setting it up on my Win 7 machine. It did NOT come with drivers. I suppose i have been spoiled with Win 10 just setting everything up without asking...so going back to Win 7 was a reminder of how things 'used to be'.

My Win 7 machine is NOT connected to the internet, fyi.

1. Can someone direct me to the drivers for the 510 USB? I tried looking on Pinnacles site with NO success. Can someone upload them here?

2. When i plugged the 510 into the Win7 machine i got a "USB Device Not Recognized" error (see attached image)

Also, once the USB 510 is installed, is it safe to assume VirtualDub will see it as a list of capture devices?

Thanks for any help!

Denicio

Attached Images
File Type: jpg USB510Error.jpg (49.3 KB, 8 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-22-2021, 09:28 AM
Free Member

Here are the drivers:
http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...readmeHW10.htm

The device not recognized error is potentially concerning. Maybe it's just a quirk of the Pinnacle 510 without drivers, but most often that error comes up when there is a hardware/wiring issue--so either the computer's USB port, the device's USB port or the cable connecting them.

I guess first step would be to install the drivers, reboot and then then connect the 510. If you still get the same error then try:

1. A different USB port on the computer (try them all because there are sometimes multiple USB controllers)
2. A different USB cable
3. Wiggle the plugs on both ends--if the device disconnects/reconnects that can indicate some weak/broken solder joints on the ports.
4. As a last resort, try a different PC. If the exact same issue happens there then it's likely the 510 is defective.
The following users thank bookemdano for this useful post: Denicio (04-22-2021)
04-22-2021, 09:32 AM
Free Member

MANY thanks for this informative reply!

-- merged --

The link to the Pinnacle drivers DID THE TRICK!

Thanks again!
04-23-2021, 06:20 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Win10 is no darling with drivers. It's equally terrible, maybe even more so. It connects online, and you're SOL if the device isn't in the database.

See this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Drivers here:
XP = http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...CLEUSB2x32.exe
Vista/7/8/10 x86 = http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...CLEUSB2x32.exe
Vista/7/8/10 x64 = http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...iver_64bit.exe
- Main driver page: http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...readmeHW10.htm

Then see this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post58837
Download Crossbar Thing from that thread.

Install drivers, reboot is required.
Start Crossbar Thing, set to s-video crossbar. Close.
Then open VirtualDub, capture mode.
Preview mode, not overlay.
Set to s-video if needed (if not already showing s-video), should look perfect.
Do not use a USB hub for capture, and sometimes that can include case ports. The best USB ports are always those directly on the motherboard. Case/hub are often why you get "not recognized" type USB errors.

- USB cable can be it, but not usually.
- If you have to wiggle, don't use the port/cable.

The exact unit here is not defective -- I tested it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Denicio (04-26-2021)
04-26-2021, 08:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Win10 is no darling with drivers. It's equally terrible, maybe even more so. It connects online, and you're SOL if the device isn't in the database.

See this post:

Do not use a USB hub for capture, and sometimes that can include case ports. The best USB ports are always those directly on the motherboard. Case/hub are often why you get "not recognized" type USB errors.

- USB cable can be it, but not usually.
- If you have to wiggle, don't use the port/cable.

The exact unit here is not defective -- I tested it.
LS,
Over the weekend i was able to give it more uninterrupted time.

The error i mentioned was in fact BECAUSE i plugged into the case port (not a hub). Having not read this post yet i threw caution to the wind and plugged it into the back...and was met with success. Device found, drivers installed and after a restart.....its working as it should.

So, as it stands now...i DO have a fully working Win 7 video Xfr rig and tonight i start Transferpalooza!

One tape per night till the job is done. I saw from other threads its wise to make sure the TBC1000 is unplugged and not left on AND the 510USB should be unplugged from USB bus power when not in use.

As it stands now...i have my Sony Hi8 going Svideo out into the TBC1000 which is going into the 510USB into the Win7 machine running 'crossbar thing' first to select SVideo into VDub for the capture.

Is there anything i am missing in my signal flow?

Denicio
04-26-2021, 09:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

A case port is a hub.

I don't unplug my 510, but I also don't leave that computer on when not capturing.

You don't have to unplug the TBC-1000 nightly, if it will be used nightly. It must be a UPS, or you could lose a $2k piece of hardware. Those don't have fuses.

Perhaps screencap all your VirtualDub settings here in a post, to verify it's all correct.

The capture mode timing matters most.
But sometime the DirectX settings can matter (OFF!) under the main non-capture preference settings.

04-26-2021, 09:34 AM
Free Member

Never really thought about the case USB being a hub but it makes sense that it is.

I will take screen grab of Vdub tonight and post in the morning.

Message received about putting the TBC on a UPS. I got a fancy one for my studio gear and there is room for more toys.....so thats an easy fix.
04-26-2021, 09:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

A big part of case quality is the USB hub. It's a motherboard-connected hub, but still a hub. It's just not a daisy-chained hub. A hub in a motherboard port is not any different from a case port.

I only use Antec and Cooler Master cases, for at least 6 years now.

04-26-2021, 09:47 AM
Free Member

My recording Studio has a cooler master case running Win10. Its a powerhouse of a machine and i spared no expense on that system.

This video rig is a recycled Dell machine from the office. So below average quality should be expected.

"I, Denicio, hereby swear to only use the Motherboard USB Ports on my Win 7 Xfr rig"
04-26-2021, 10:20 AM
Free Member

Quote:
A case port is a hub.

I don't unplug my 510, but I also don't leave that computer on when not capturing.

You don't have to unplug the TBC-1000 nightly, if it will be used nightly. It must be a UPS, or you could lose a $2k piece of hardware. Those don't have fuses.

Perhaps screencap all your VirtualDub settings here in a post, to verify it's all correct.

The capture mode timing matters most.
But sometime the DirectX settings can matter (OFF!) under the main non-capture preference settings.
Hey LS,

On the TBC-1000, i thought a read a post here (possibly by you) that mentioned something about how they are prone to get really hot and should not be left on over night.

Did i dream this?
04-26-2021, 10:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Unplugged nightly (because used daily), not necessary.

Turned off, DEFINITELY!

Yes, the chips get hot, and will overheat after 12 hours. The TBC will start to degrade in various ways, and never again be the same. Eventually, it just will no longer turn on. You'll have a $2K paperweight.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Denicio (04-26-2021)
04-26-2021, 10:25 AM
Free Member

LS,
Thanks!

So based on the fact it does get hot.....do you have a suggested window of time it should be left on during a transfer?

On weekends i could conceivably transfer 3-5 tapes per day but i dont want to run this thing too hot either. Just trying to be careful and take care good care of it.

What is the longest you would suggest keeping it on for?
04-26-2021, 05:56 PM
Free Member

I think among TBCs the AVT-8710 is the one that is prone to overheating and causing issues.

IMHO, you can keep the TBC-1000 powered for as long as you want to do actively use it (doing captures). When you're done capturing for the day, turn it off. Maybe lordsmurf or others will have different/better advice, but I've not read anything TBC-1000s having widespread overheating problems.
The following users thank bookemdano for this useful post: Denicio (04-27-2021)
04-27-2021, 08:32 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookemdano View Post
I think among TBCs the AVT-8710 is the one that is prone to overheating and causing issues.

IMHO, you can keep the TBC-1000 powered for as long as you want to do actively use it (doing captures). When you're done capturing for the day, turn it off. Maybe lordsmurf or others will have different/better advice, but I've not read anything TBC-1000s having widespread overheating problems.
Thanks for the info!
05-01-2023, 11:12 AM
Free Member

Setting up my USB-510 for the first time with a Windows 7 desktop capturing with Virtualdub2.

I searched around on here and I think I followed all the steps the right way - Driver installed, rebooted, crossbar thing, open virtualdub, preview mode.

Signal is definitely passing through s-video, but the capture preview only displays the first unmoving frame of video with super choppy audio. I tried refreshing the signal by switching some settings and then switching them back, but it refreshes with a different single video frame. I set up a capture avi file just to see what would happen -- the resulting audio is fine, no longer choppy, but the video only captures the same single frame.
05-13-2023, 06:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfc View Post
Setting up my USB-510 for the first time with a Windows 7 desktop capturing with Virtualdub2.

I searched around on here and I think I followed all the steps the right way - Driver installed, rebooted, crossbar thing, open virtualdub, preview mode.

Signal is definitely passing through s-video, but the capture preview only displays the first unmoving frame of video with super choppy audio. I tried refreshing the signal by switching some settings and then switching them back, but it refreshes with a different single video frame. I set up a capture avi file just to see what would happen -- the resulting audio is fine, no longer choppy, but the video only captures the same single frame.
2 has bugs.
Did you try 1.9.x yet?

05-15-2023, 11:19 PM
Free Member

I tried 1.9.x earlier tonight. It recognizes the Pinnacle card without having to use Crossbar Thing, but otherwise the results are the same frozen picture as on VirtualDub2.

Both 1.9 and 2 still work great with the Hauppauge card.