03-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
lordsmurf,

Sorry once again to be sending you a PM, but a real quick question (again maybe useful to new users such as myself too?):

If I use a program such as Pinnacle Studio 14 for editing, will I still need to convert a file burned onto a DVD from a DVD recorder to an MPEG (http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...d-recorder.htm) to be able to edit it in Pinnacle Studio 14 (cutting down a live sporting event from to 3 minutes, with possibly some screens showing stats added) and then reburn the highlights onto a DVD that can be viewed on a normal DVD player.

Cheers
What kind of editing are you doing?

Pinnacle Studio is geared at very amateur video work, and it is designed to do the capturing, editing and encoding all in one program. While this can work for some workflows, it's not going to work too well with your DVD recorder source videos. You'll likely lose quality, because I'm pretty sure it will insist on re-encoding your whole video. And to be honest, Pinnacle's MPEG encoding quality is pretty dismal.

A better choice would be Womble MPEG Video Wizard, although it does cost $99 (I wish they still had a $49 non-DVD version of MVW). If you're only making very basic cuts, no effects, the the $19 Womble MPEG-VCR works.

The Womble tools are MPEg editors -- they do not re-encode the video, only export the good parts. Only areas with added effects (fades, wipes, etc) get re-encoded.

You could probably get MPEG-VCR to work for you, if $100 is too much. otherwise, I'd go for MPEG Video Wizard. A free 15- or 30-day trial is available, so you can knock out a project or two, to see how you like it. The current Womble MVW also does authoring.

If you can spare another $50, consider the amazingly cheap offer currently going on for the professional Ulead DVDWS. More on that at: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...shop-2117.html

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions..

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors