Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-15-2023, 10:13 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
SDI = serial digital interface. That process really mushes together analog and digital comms, sometimes to it's own detriment. It's not a better method, just a method. And in the content of consumer analog sources (ie, VHS, Hi8, Video8, Betamax, etc), it's not ideal. SDI devices are essentially all created for pro quality sources (mostly just BetacamSP), not a ratty old VHS tape. Sometimes that methods works, sometimes not at all.

FYI, most professional gear is also made as cheaply as possible. That is especially true in video. That includese both truly professional, and "professional" (market to professionals, but not really pro gear).

You're too blinded by costs, and seeking the cheapest option is folly. Everything has costs, either money or sanity (frustration, irritation). You will pay either way. Worse yet, many pay twice, aka the old saying "buy cheap, buy twice". You buy the crap/inferior/wrong on the 1st go, and then give in to buy the better/less-hassle gear on the 2nd. Reember, I've been at this for over 30 years now, I've seen this play out countless time.

That Atomos Ninja V is excellent, I have one for my mirrorless, but it's not at all cheap. It's not just the unit, but the SSDs needed. Noting that that item is entirely worthless in the context of analog video capture.

I do think you're mixing up lots of concepts and terms here, and it'll just confuse/mislead others. Lost in translation plays a role as well.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-15-2023, 03:19 PM
Free Member

You say SSD's are expensive ? name other storage media, that is as cost effective per GigaByte and also has the same speed (or more).. there's no competion… Moore's law is also valid for SSD's and again yes, comms ! the SATA interface on the Ninja V is a bottle neck, SSD's can be much faster than that, but is not needed, even for 4K.
I'm not blinded by costs, most people who just start with "it" are… but that's no surprise i guess. People need the correct information, for what lies with in their budget, and know what the limitations are, with that budget.
10-15-2023, 09:58 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
You say SSD's are expensive ? name other storage media, that is as cost effective per GigaByte and also has the same speed (or more)..
That's honestly a stupid thing to write. Why? Because SSD is the only comparison to itself for speed. So when you compare costs to itself, surprise! (not), costs are "just as cheap" (aka, still expensive).

Quote:
the Ninja V
This conversation has become entirely unrelated to the initial topic now.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Closed Thread