Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-24-2023, 10:51 PM
Free Member

Hello all,

Gotta say, the initial driver setup for the AIW cards is pretty frustrating as others have noted.

I eventually got to the point where it would let me run the TV Initialization wizard and I thought I might be home free!

Alas, I get to the "audio input" part of the sound initialization wizard and no matter what audio input I select, it immediately crashes the wizard the moment I release the mouse from which audio source to use.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

My setup is an Asrock 4coredual-VSTA with AIW 9000 Pro AGP card running XP 32 bit. It happens to have onboard Realtek HD audio which is what I plugged the blue line cable into.

The audio-out cable I have is actually from a newer PCIe 2006 AIW card which uses the same 10 pin plug and I'd be pretty surprised if the pinouts were different - Basically it looks the same but also has another full "domino" connector with outputs that looks the same as input one, just with the extra line out and speaker out tacked on.

I don't really think it's the cable because it also crashes if I leave the cable completely unplugged during this step. I suppose it could be the case that it sends an audio test out to the sound card and if it doesn't detect it, then it crashes anyway. Seems odd that they'd use the same connector and change the pinout, but I suppose that wouldn't be the strangest thing that ATI did.

If someone has the pinouts of the cable that this is supposed to use, I can verify that this has the same pinouts or would be grateful for any other suggestions.

My suspicions is that it doesn't like something about the onboard Realtek HD audio, but I'm guessing a lot of people would have experienced that if this is the case.

I heard a separate Turtle Beach PCI sound card is the way to go in terms of quality, but hadn't heard of integrated sound cards crashing anything.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Also of note - Nothing else is connected to the card in terms of a video/audio source during the wizard.

Only other odd thing I see is that it lists driver as "ATI Rage Theater Video Capture (Unsupported)" under the "TV tab" of configuration - is that "Unsupported" anything to be worried about?

-- merged --

After a lot of messing around with different drivers and other versions of MMC, I was somehow able to get past it. Since I tried so many install configurations, it is hard to say exactly what worked, but I believe these were the files used for the 9000 Pro:

Install order for Radeon 9000 Pro

DirectX 9.0c
DAOMDAC - not sure if this was installed here or later and may have still been on the PC from a prior install attempt as the "Remove ATI Software" app I don't believe removes that.

1st TV Capture
ati_6-5_xp-2k_dd_32464
9-14mmcDAOMDAC - may have also installed here
MMC9-14MMC_ENU
Encoder Package 6-6

Maybe this will help someone else that comes across the audio input crash issue in the future.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-30-2023, 03:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,478 Times in 2,107 Posts
Do not use onboard audio, many issues. You're only seeing initial issues here, refusing to install.

There's a reason we suggest only using the TBSC audio card.

Audio is too easily tinny, and many add delays (especially onboard). Neither work for capture scenarios. This use of an audio card isn't for listening to MP3, watching Youtube, or playing games. It has higher needs. And no, age does not matter, the best audio cards for this task are not new.

(But also note, there were versions of TBSC, so some are fine, some have weird errors. Which is why I now keep a stash for folks wanting to build AIW system, not something I put in the marketplace, just PM me to buy.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs