Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-03-2023, 10:51 AM
Free Member

I'm trying to digitize a VHS using a VCR with S-Video output with a Pinnacle 710 S-Video to USB box.

Great picture but no sound on OBS (Windows 10).

I know VirtualDub is recommended, but it lacks certain adjustments that I can make on OBS.

Is there any way to capture the audio through OBS? (I'm using the Crossbar Thing and drivers posted on this forum)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carmen Sandiego.jpg (49.6 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg Pinnacle.jpg (108.2 KB, 12 downloads)

Last edited by shinichi999; 08-03-2023 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Adding images
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-03-2023, 01:33 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
How is the sound in VirtualDub?

What are the adjustments? Perhaps you can do those, but just unaware.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-03-2023, 01:51 PM
Free Member

In VirtualDub the sound is perfect, but the program freezes a lot, and I can't set a HD resolution (I know the native resolution is smaller but I need the captured video in 1440x1080 for editing purposes).

Plus, the video is interlaced.

If I could fix those things in VirtualDub or just get audio in OBS, then I'd be perfect!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Interlaced.jpg (52.6 KB, 7 downloads)
08-03-2023, 01:57 PM
Site Staff | Video

Capture native, scale later.

Scale during capture is pretty crappy looking, as it forces deinterlaces using inferior methods. Are you deinterlacing, then reinterlacing?

Use QTMC via Avisynth via Hybrid to keep it simple.

09-07-2023, 02:21 PM
Free Member

Nope, I'm not deinterlacing and then reinterlacing (the imaged I posted is the final result).

Can you please develop on the methods you suggest me? I don't mind getting the original resolution as long as I can fix the interlaced video.

-- merged --

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Capture native, scale later.

Scale during capture is pretty crappy looking, as it forces deinterlaces using inferior methods. Are you deinterlacing, then reinterlacing?

Use QTMC via Avisynth via Hybrid to keep it simple.
Dude, can you please explain me the process or lead me to a guide?
09-07-2023, 03:44 PM
Free Member

He did, first stop using OBS and use vdub or AmarecTV, Second capture native resolution and de-interlace, upscale and encode later. There are tons of applications that can do that depends on your expertise, from script type such as QTGMC and AVIsynth to GUI like Handbrake. and lastly calling someone a dude is not going to help you much.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
09-07-2023, 04:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
He did, first stop using OBS and use vdub or AmarecTV, Second capture native resolution and de-interlace, upscale and encode later. There are tons of applications that can do that depends on your expertise, from script type such as QTGMC and AVIsynth to GUI like Handbrake. and lastly calling someone a dude is not going to help you much.
Pfff the way you say the things doesn't help much, "dude", I asked about everything politely.

I read all the guides I could find here, installed VirtualDub, installed the filters, tried to capture following the instructions, and no, the software is very buggy and it stucks, and I'm not getting the results I expect... I can't even open the file (error related to the format HYMT).

Plus, English is not my first language and this is not my cup of tea, so I'm really trying my best to understand everything to recover lost media in the best way, but nothing... I'll just give up, "dude"!
09-07-2023, 04:38 PM
Free Member

HYMT is the multithreaded version of HuffYUV. Try the regular one, it may work better.
The following users thank hofmand for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-07-2023)
09-07-2023, 04:52 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofmand View Post
HYMT is the multithreaded version of HuffYUV. Try the regular one, it may work better.
Thanks a lot, dude!
09-07-2023, 04:56 PM
Free Member

No problem! Also, here is the Virtualdub Settings Guide to help you get a good capture.
The following users thank hofmand for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-07-2023)
09-07-2023, 05:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinichi999 View Post
Nope, I'm not deinterlacing and then reinterlacing (the imaged I posted is the final result).
It's being deinterlaced somewhere. Probably OBS.

Quote:
Can you please develop on the methods you suggest me?
Let's start slow. Lots of aspects here. Which one do you want to start with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
and lastly calling someone a dude is not going to help you much.
We called each other "dude" when I was young. Not an insult back then. Is it now? (The one that pisses me off is "bro" or "bra". We're not related, and the other is jug holder.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinichi999 View Post
I read all the guides I could find here, installed VirtualDub, installed the filters, tried to capture following the instructions, and no, the software is very buggy and it stucks, and I'm not getting the results I expect... I can't even open the file (error related to the format HYMT).
Huffyuv-MT is not suggested. That may be the main issue. Fully uninstall it, then install the official version.

Quote:
Plus, English is not my first language and this is not my cup of tea, so I'm really trying my best to understand everything to recover lost media in the best way
You're fine, you're trying, we'll help. I'm not always available to answer all posts, but I do try to help as much as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofmand View Post
Can you redo the package, or add another, to use the official Huffyuv, and not the CCE patch edition? Then your installer is perfect.

09-08-2023, 07:53 AM
Free Member

As noted above, capture native format in lossless codec, that way you get what there is on the tape without introducing upscaling artifacts, etc. beyond what the A/D converter in your capture device introduces.

The meaning of DUDE depends on your age. For old folks (say over 70 or so) a dude was a big city person who went to a resort ranch in the USA west (e.g., Montana, Wyoming, etc, - a "dude ranch"), dressed up like a cowboy wannabe, and developed saddle sores trying to learn to ride a horse and so on. Generally a person considered to be naive and foolish, and often physically unfit.

Duded-up meant all dressed is some sort of finery, possibly formal attire and possibly overdressed for the occasion.

In the 1800s it was a well dressed foppish man. Over time the word has morphed to a variety meanings in street talk, some good and some not so good. It can may depend in the context you are in. Bottom line is it is slang and probably best to avoid using it unless you know the people with whom you are using it and how they will take it.

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/history-of-dude

[Think Jeff Bridges in "The Big Lebowski" for a period piece interpretation of "DUDE."]
09-08-2023, 04:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Can you redo the package, or add another, to use the official Huffyuv, and not the CCE patch edition?
Ok, done. I redid the package.
09-08-2023, 11:36 PM
Free Member

Good job, Hofmand, thanks. A further suggestion: I think the instructions for finding and running cmd.exe
should be expanded to make it a bit clearer:

Quote:
Press the Windows key;
In the Search box type cmd;
On the "cmd.exe" item, right-click and choose "Run as administrator"

then continue on as per current instructions.

Attached Images
File Type: png CMD Prompt.png (18.1 KB, 1 downloads)

Last edited by Hushpower; 09-08-2023 at 11:59 PM.
09-19-2023, 03:40 PM
Free Member

Quote:
It's being deinterlaced somewhere. Probably OBS.

Let's start slow. Lots of aspects here. Which one do you want to start with?

We called each other "dude" when I was young. Not an insult back then. Is it now? (The one that pisses me off is "bro" or "bra". We're not related, and the other is jug holder.)

Huffyuv-MT is not suggested. That may be the main issue. Fully uninstall it, then install the official version.

You're fine, you're trying, we'll help. I'm not always available to answer all posts, but I do try to help as much as I can.

Can you redo the package, or add another, to use the official Huffyuv, and not the CCE patch edition? Then your installer is perfect.

Thanks a lot! Ok so in summary: this is just to get a "Raw" capture (before working on the video), right?

So I got my capture in .avi without compression and without cropping.

Now how should I work on this video? I think I need to apply a deinterlacing filter and make a propper cropping. What's the best method for that?

As always, thanks in advance!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture.jpg (55.7 KB, 5 downloads)

Tags
pinnacle 710-usb