Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-08-2023, 05:38 PM
Free Member

I’m capturing in windows 10 and I am wondering what speakers I should get for my computer. I think that’s the last thing I need to buy before I start capturing. I got the UPS Lordsmurf recommended recently.

-- merged --

I realize that I might have to get an older xp system depending on how my windows 10 setup goes but it’s not like I have speakers and am asking for recommendation for new speakers. I have no computer speakers currently and I’m asking for recommendations and I was thinking some speakers might be better for this task.

-- merged --

I think I am going to get a pair of Mackie 5 speakers for my computer. I have a Dell P2715Q monitor because when I bought the computer I told them I wanted it for editing so they recommended me that monitor. With monitors they tell you this is best for gaming and this is best for editing but I don’t think that’s the case with speakers.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Best for gaming is never best for video. Gaming stuff augments colors to "pop" and focuses on response times. For audio, to "pull out" bass.

For speakers, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better response curve than the Monsoon MH-500/501 that came out 20 years ago, about $100 used on eBay. The only way to exceed those is to use actual reference grade monitors (not "speakers" but monitors).

Pay attention to review specifics, especially on the lower-end pro audio gear like Mackie. I see some noise warnings.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-15-2023, 02:09 PM
Free Member

I use to have a Yamaha studio monitors but switched 2 years ago to Sony Pro full ear cover headphones, Not only it isolates noise from surrounding environment, it enables me to find issues in audio especially linear audio, I got them from nearby Guitar Center store, so tested them before buying them, Were $90 on sale.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
10-15-2023, 03:24 PM
Free Member

The monsoons are cheaper than the mackies and they are more of what I and everyone doing restoration is looking for. I called Dell because they were helpful with the monitor by suggesting a good psi monitor but with speakers they just said well gaming speakers are the same as editing speakers. They usually wanna sell the newest thing anyways which is understandable. Anyways these look good. I appreciate the help.

-- merged --

Okay I’ve read more about this now https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...ubstitute.html and I think I am going to get a pair of Sennheiser hd 600 headphones. I can get them locally and I don’t want to gamble on eBay if I don’t have to. Thanks for the information. You guys are way more helpful than Dell
10-15-2023, 10:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Note that Monsoon speakers were strangely more available in 2022 into 2023, and less damaged, than in years past. But never get a set without a working puck (volume controller wire). At this exact moment, all I see on eBay are scraps, either just the planars (missing subwoofer), or with-sub but missing the puck. If you look at the sold listing, you'll see some nice sets that sold, and even pucks. I'd have bought that $20 puck, had I seen it.

Be careful with Sennheiser. The build quality now is very cheap. We got screwed with some cheap Sennheiser headphones, multiple models, and will no longer buy anything from that brand. Sennheiser as a company is now gone, and Sonova now owns the brand name. Prior to the acquisition, Sennheiser was rebadging and licensing out the brand name. We bought 3 headphones during the pandemic (expensive, mid-grade, "cheap"), and all have since broken. All crap, not anything at all like Sennheiser of past decades. Audio quality was noticeably inferior to prior models.

You'll find a lot of posts like this now:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/..._and_it_shows/

All the audiophile forums went bonkers over it in recent years. Some deserved, some conspiracy lunacy (aka typical audiophile drivel).

And again, you miss the acoustics when using headphones. So be aware of that.

If latrache34 likes the Sony, I'd investigate those first. But model # needed. I'd buy new headphones local or Amazon only.

FYI, Sennheiser camera mics are overrated crap. Rode is better, Deity is far better. And yet, Sennheiser is still touted as best, riding coattails of a now-defunct reputation. I tend to wonder if anybody writing those reviews has actually used any of them, because head-to-head reviews are never favorable.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-16-2023, 03:17 AM
Free Member

I have the Sony MDR-7506, One advice is to never buy one with a coiled cord, It's heavy as hell, puts extra weight on the head and they get caught on pretty much anything, But I think they make them with coiled or straight cords. I go back on time I would buy the straight cord, It's a nice concept that the cord doesn't drag on the floor but it is not practical. One more advise that if you are living in a warm climate avoid faux leather ear cushions, Try to get fabric ones or buy after market add-ons, They will sweat your ears.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos