Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Free Member

What about hdmi capturing ? With an ok PciE card (no usb crap please) like i do and in the meantime stick to Win7 or win10 for that matter.
Add in the mix a good ol' dvd recorder with hdmi out (panasonic/sony) whatever float your boat and you'll get a rather nice digitizing recipe (with it's own shortcomings but less troublesome overall imo)

ATI600 is Xp era so XP
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-12-2024, 09:25 AM
Free Member

My experience with 2000-era capture devices, Windows XP is the only OS I've been able to capture on with a minimal amount (low single digits) of inserts. You may still want to use the Sync Audio setting in VD.
01-12-2024, 10:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp90000 View Post
Putting aside the debate about the advantages of Virtualdub vs. Amarec, I am looking to further troubleshoot why I am getting frame drops and inserts in both programs now that I have ruled out the on-board USB ports as causing the problem by installing a dedicated USB 2.0 card.
Here's something most people do not realize: USB routes through CPU. It's not like SATA, which has dedicated motherboard resources. So if anything is deficient, or wrong/bad, with the CPU, this it will not sustain. USB as a connection is not sustained, but I refer to "minimum sustained" (dips), and CPU can cause too much dipping.

So, in this exact case, I think CPU is bad. But because it's a Dell motherboard, I have a feeling the whole board is bad. Not the model necessarily (but maybe), just this specific board (maybe).

Quote:
I am not committed to using this particular PC if another system would perform better.
Just move on, you've wasted enough time here.

Quote:
I would just need to know what system is known to play well with the ATI 600. I just want to begin capturing and will buy the system I need. What specific system is working well for others with this capture card? Suggestions welcome on the following:
- Specific operating system (XP, 7) (SP1, SP2, etc.)
SP doesn't really matter, aside from XP non-SP or XP SP3/crapified -- which is why XP Essential is best (unofficial community version, updated and backported, and decrapified). That said, Win7 works fine with ATI 600 USB, and Win7 is my choice for this card exactly 50% of the time.

Quote:
- Processor
This is actually the wrong question. CPU does not matter. (Well, don't those low-power CPUs, as used in cheap mini PC, sub-i3 stuff.)

Same for RAM, 2gb+ fine.

What matters far more is:
- motherboard
- motherboard chipsets (SATA, USB, etc)
- # of SATA
- CPU cooler and PSU options

Quote:
- Using a pre-built system that's working for you? Please share the specific model and what changes you have made. Below I received advice about problems with Dell's on-board USB ports. Wish I had known that before outfitting a Dell.
Well, Dell in itself is not bad, but rather certain Dell/OS/chipset/driver combos.

Quote:
It seems less likely that the Hi8 camcorder I am using for playback is causing dropped frames or sync issues. But again, if that is possible, I will get another one to rule it out.
Eh ... possible. Not likely, just possible.

Quote:
That leaves only the capture card and TBC, for which I paid handsomely and am told are fine.
- Capture card is fine.
- The TBC is budget, between TBC(ish) and best suggested TBCs. As such, it can/will balk at times, be a PITA at times, but not constant. So it should be eliminated here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
ati, dropped frames, sync, timing