Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-22-2024, 04:57 PM
Free Member

Hi everyone,

I know my topic sound like a joke but it's not And I know the result will be crap and it's not a big deal.
Anyway, for a film project, I've been asked by a client if it was possible to transfer some clips from a timeline to VHS.

I did some tests with the gear I have (Mac/PC, Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle & Ultrastudio 3D, JVC HR-S7500 & 9911U / Sony SLV-N750, Premiere, BM Media Express...) and it's all working ok. But as I'm getting into this, I'm wondering if there was somehow a way to get the "best" of the "worst" scenario for that. Is there any VCR to avoid for this kind of job? Settings within the VCR to enable/disable, Tape brands to avoid (Fuji maybe?), is this better to downscale before or in this situation I can just let the capture card do the job (I would think downscale before...), things like that. What's your experience with this, I'm curious to see if other people here already tried that. I'm not expecting miracles, don't worry!

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-22-2024, 05:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekinox View Post
I know my topic sound like a joke but it's not
Not at all. Just uncommon now.

Quote:
And I know the result will be crap
Not at all. VHS looks way better than most people realize. Bad VHS is user error, garbage equipment, bad VCRs, bad tapes. Not VHS itself..

Quote:
I did some tests with the gear I have (Mac/PC, Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle & Ultrastudio 3D, JVC HR-S7500 & 9911U / Sony SLV-N750, Premiere, BM Media Express...) and it's all working ok. But as I'm getting into this, I'm wondering if there was somehow a way to get the "best" of the "worst" scenario for that.
Source matters. Without knowing more, no advice, no idea if you're doing good or bad here.

Quote:
Is there any VCR to avoid for this kind of job?
No, just use one of those JVCs. I used 3800s for recording in the late 90s, when I often digitally restored video back to VHS tapes. Back before DVD was an option, and VCD sucked.

Quote:
Settings within the VCR to enable/disable,
On the JVC, disable calibration for sure. Actually, just disable everything, for recording.

Quote:
Tape brands to avoid (Fuji maybe?),
Fuji is awful.
Best = TDK, JVC.

Quote:
is this better to downscale before
Before ... but you also need to properly interlace the content. But again, source matters.

Quote:
What's your experience with this, I'm curious to see if other people here already tried that.
Yep, but 25+ years ago. Not just "tried", but did.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-23-2024, 02:43 AM
Free Member

Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle known to have issues with analog video tape sources.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-23-2024)

Tags
digital, transfer, vhs