Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Hi Lord Smurf
I just bought the JVC HR-S9600U off eBay ($225, rip off?) and was wondering if you had the time to recommend an external capture device for a Mac, preferably something iMovie would recognize. Does iMovie cut the mustard when it comes to digitalizing VHS footage or should I look elsewhere?
Thanks for your time
Good VCR, good price if it's in excellent condition. Not a rip off, nope. These machines often fetch more, especially if they're in new or like-new condition.

Get the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid for Mac, it's excellent. I've seen them in action multiple times, and I'm not disappointed. (And it's easy to be disappointed with capture cards, there's a lot of junk out there.) Best price (free shipping, no tax) is from Amazon.com (please use this link).

Use the EyeTV software that comes with it. After the files are saved, edit in whatever you want to use. iMovie will work, but something like Final Cut Express is better. (If you buy FCE, forget the overpriced Apple store, or the sometimes-cheaper MacMall -- forget them both --Amazon.com is often at least 25% cheaper on Mac hardware/software, lowest price of anywhere.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors