Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-15-2024, 12:55 PM
Free Member

I calibrated my monitor today and to me it looks too warm now. The whites don't look right and everything just looks a little too warm. The whites ion the Dfaq website look off to me now. My monitor gets 98% of sRGB, 73% of NTSC, 77% of Adobe, and 79% of P3. My monitor is a Dell P2715Q. https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/a01d746

Attached Images
File Type: jpg calibrated girl.jpg (49.1 KB, 7 downloads)
File Type: jpg uncalibrated girl.jpg (49.7 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg calibrated colors.jpg (49.4 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: jpg uncalibrated colors.jpg (48.4 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: jpg digitalfaq website.jpg (159.5 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: jpg calibrated church.jpg (48.5 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: jpg uncalibrated church.jpg (48.0 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: jpg calibrated backyard.jpg (55.4 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg uncalibrated backyard.jpg (60.2 KB, 2 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-15-2024, 12:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
For video use, right?

After Spyder, tweak with Avia video.

Spyder by itself tends to be more photography based, not so much video. But Spyder gets you away from craptastic monitor defaults, which can be difficult just to adjust using eyes alone with Avia.

If you do both photo and video, you'll need to save profiles for easy swapping. My LG have this feature, since 2005. And the ViewSonic does/did as well.

Dell monitor temps tend to skew, but I forget if warmer or cooler. Between that, and price, I have long avoided Dell monitors for myself. I do maintain Dell IPS laptops for video capturing, and have built some capture systems for others. For those, I did manage to calibrate decent, but not as perfect as my LG desktops. The laptops tend to skew really cool, default is extremely blue. It's actually difficult to warm up, without distorting red, so you spend a lot of time tweaking green.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-16-2024, 03:44 PM
Free Member

I’ve seen the display you use. The screens really wide and it’s HD instead of 4k. It seems like it’s a lot more suited for this but I think mine is alright.

I’m seeing that a lot of people who have never had there screens calibrated think that the colors are warm once they get them calibrated because a lot of monitors run cool. It looks warmer with a white point ok 6500k. The videos I’ve seen say that’s a common thing to at first. The videos I’ve seen on the spyder X pros say that most everyone thinks that at first.

I expected the screen calibration to be more of a settle difference.

The calibrated pictures look a lot better to me on my tablet.

I well take your advice.
03-22-2024, 12:06 PM
Free Member

I talked to Datacolor and they had me send them my OS information and all of my hardware information then they told me my settings were off and also that the pro doesn't have a profile for video but the ones after it do.

They gave me instructions to recalibrate it and I think it looks really good now but I will take your advice and tweak it a little.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg datacolor customer support.jpg (107.9 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: jpg Datacolor help 1.jpg (51.3 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg Datacolor help 2.jpg (54.7 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg new cal 1.jpg (55.5 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg new uncal 1.jpg (49.2 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg new uncal 3.jpg (58.8 KB, 0 downloads)
File Type: jpg new cal 3.jpg (58.5 KB, 0 downloads)
File Type: jpg new cal 4.jpg (51.7 KB, 1 downloads)
File Type: jpg new uncal 4.jpg (51.5 KB, 1 downloads)

Tags
screen calibration, spyder x pro