08-13-2009, 02:06 AM
Free Member

Hi there,

I'm a newbie here. I came across these boards via google search.

I'm doing all of my research on converting VHS to DVD. You seem like the member with great experience with the process and systems.

I really want to get the best footage that I can possibly get out of the old tapes that I have. I'm not expecting much, being that some of the tapes are about 20yrs old.

So, there is a lot of talk about the JVC VCRs being highly recommended. I was directed to the HR-S9911U. Clearly, it's a hard system to find. In your opinion, is this really the best system to make the most out of VHS tapes? Or do you suggest a better model?

I greatly appreciate your recommendations. Thank you for any information, and your time. Joey

joeyanyc

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
JVC high-end S-VHS machines will usually play most tapes in excellent quality -- far surpassing what a plain consumer VHS VCR would do. However, as with anything else, these have quirks.

I would need to know more about the tapes.
  • Not just age, but
  • condition (stored indoors/closet/room, or in a basement/attic/garage?),
  • the recording mode (SP 2-hour, LP 4-hr, EP 6-hr, SLP 6-hr),
  • and the length of the recordings.
  • Were these made in VCRs or VHS home movie cameras?
There are potentially better (or rather just "different") units than the JVC 9911, in some circumstances. For the best "all around" machine, any of the high-end modern 7000/9000/SR machines works well. These are further discussed at: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...k-hardware.htm

But beyond that, the Panasonic AG-1970P or 1980P can sometimes yield better results on older SP/ELP mode recordings, especially from cameras.

What you need really just depends on what you have. I don't like to give generic advice. I want to give YOU advice that fits YOUR situation.

Join up for the forum, and reply back. After registering, consider becoming a Premium Member for the best one-on-one help.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs