04-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Premium Member

I'm posting this to the New Question forum because, although the ATI Wonder is an ATI card and should probably be asked about in the Capturing (ATI cards only) forum, it is an older card using a BT8x8 chip. I dug this old card out of a box in my basement and installed it using the installation method from ATI's website for the TV Wonder PCI (DAO, divers, MMC 9.06). After successfully installing this card, I launched the TV application, but there was no option for recording. So, I uninstalled MMC 9.06, and installed MMC 9.03. Now, when I launch the TV application, I have an option for recording. However, when I edit the presets, I only get options for a maximum vertical resolution of 240 and the de-interlacing option is grayed out and showing Progressive. Based on your quidance, I would like to capture at 352x480, interlaced, but it seems that I don't have that option. Any suggestions?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-12-2005, 01:58 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

The BT8x8 chips are a very old design, only suitable for AVI capturing. MPEG capturing is pretty much out of the question, at least in higher quality.

The modern ATI MMC was designed and made for THEATRE class chips, and require an overlay preview function not available in a BT chip. These chips cannot both display AND record hi-res video at the same time.

In order to use an x480 interlaced resolution with a BT8x8 chipset, you must use VIRTUALDUB, with the VFW-WDM wrapper (which is built in Windows XP). VirtualDub will then allow you to capture any number of AVI-codec formats, such as the highly regarded HuffYUV, MJPEG or uncompressed AVI.

You will then need to encode the AVI to MPEG format in any MPEG encoder of your choosing, such as Tsumani MPEG Encoder (TMPGENC), Procoder, Mainconcept, CinemaCraft (CCE), etc.

You can get VirtualDub here: http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!