10-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Free Member

Wanted to get people's opinion of recording/viewing preferences. I just recently built a new PVR to dedicate to my DirecTV HD receiver (H10). It won't be recording in HD format, because I'm using the S-Video connection and it downshifts the resolution, but the signal is crisp and clear.

My question is: Should I record most things in the Widescreen format (16:9), or is standard preferred (4:3)? I did a couple of sample recordings, including "Two and a half Men" and I was suprised how many little odds and ends I saw in widescreen that I didn't see in standard. But since most people have standard screen TVs, they would get the black areas at the top and bottom.

Thoughts? I was thinking for shows like Alias, and other action series, do in widescreen. But comedy/drama, do in standard?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Well, if you record as proper 16:9, then a DVD player will play it back with wide bars on tv. Personally, I like to see all the picture, and if that means I have to have black bars on the top and bottom to do so, then so be it.

If people don't like it, they can use the ZOOM function of the DVD player to make it fullscreen. Assuming they have a good players, as I know some of the crap cheapies don't have very good zoom functions. My Toshiba works well, I usually zoom in halfway on a lot of movies on my bedroom tv, cutting of some of the sides, but still partially widescreen.

So, basically, if you want it widescreen, go for it.

This is one of those instances where you need to remember you do the hobby for yourself, so whatever makes you happy. Pick what you like better.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs