Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I'm re-reading the whole thread from the first post ... let's see...
... I never realized how hard it was to read green text on my laptop! Yikes! ...

You want to capture VHS in better quality, archival quality... ok.

You have a budget to stick to -- give those numbers, if you would.

The ATI All In Wonder card is a good card, but you've tried it under both Windows 7 and Windows XP, and you're having issues getting the OS to recognize everything, from graphics drivers to capture/video drivers to installing ATI MMC. I'll look and see what I may have, to upload for you. I have a DVD full of ISO images of ATI discs, downloaded drivers/MMC/etc from the past 7-8 years.

Just a plain consumer VHS VCR -- this may hinder the ability to get the best quality from your tapes. The VCR is almost more important than the capture cards or anything else.

What's your location? (Country is fine, don't really need more exact location.)

I would not suggest modern HD PVR cards, no. Many of the are limited in abilities. I'd also mentioned that AVermedia has never been a quality brand of video capturing products. Very often those are bottom-grade in quality.

While the ATI brand name may be a sour memory at the moment, I'm starting to think it's your exact card (maybe even that exact model) that's giving you grief.
  • There are some extra ATI AIW Radeon AGP cards here, $75 plus shipping, if interested. These are pulled working cards, complete with drivers/software, and purple break-out box. These were originally $300+ cards.
  • Or consider the ATI 600 USB card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00138EOH8 -- and while it might look like a coaxial-only TV tuner, it's a composite/s-video capture card, able to capture both MPEG-2 and AVI (uncompressed or lossless)
With budget + location, we may be able to help you find a better VCR.

If you do buy from Newegg, help us our by using our Newegg affiliate link: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3235990-10519369 -- prices are the same for you, but Newegg shares 1% of the sale with us. (No, not much at all, but every penny counts!)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors