09-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Free Member

Hello,

My very first post. I will be restoring and outputting vhs and svhs to DVD.

My video restoration chain will be:

JVC HRS9911
Data video tbc1000
Sign video proc amp
Sign video detailer
capturing to an ATI all in wonder x800xt.

Is the following way, the correct hook up for viewing the video on a calibrated video monitor as I am capturing it? I will be capturing using the HUFFyuv codec via the all in wonder X800XT.

METHOD:
Take the S-video out cable from the Signvideo detailer (last componet in analog chain) and plug into the S-video input of my calibrated video monitor, and then run another S-video cable from the output of my monitor directly to my S-video input of my "All in Wonder" capture card.

The only other way I could think of would be to use some sort of Y splitter after the detailer intead of going thru my monitor as a pass thru.

What is the professional way?

__________________________________________________ _____

Speaking of the order of things. In my sign video manual it suggest that the proc amp be the first thing right after the VCR in the analog chain. Do you think they are over seeing the fact that one might be using the TBC1000? Would'nt you suggest the TBC1000 be the first componet after the VCR, and then the proc amp.?

__________________________________________________ ______

Also, you mentioned in other post about other capture cards i.e matrox R2500 that are more expensive than ATI all in wonder cards. As we all know using a lossless codec like HUFFYuv is only as good as the digital source it is given.

In your opinion do the high end matrox capture cards have better analog to digital conversion specs. i.e higher bit depth, higher sampling rate and better color sampling such as 4:2:2 or even 4:4:4?

Are these matrox cards strictly only capture devices, and not also video cards?

If so, would it not be logical to assume that these matorx cards are doing a better quality job of converting analog to digital than my ATI all in wonder x800xt?

If the above is true I would think when using HUFFyuv that you would have much more of the original video signal converted to digital using the matrox card, which would then allow for better encodes down the line. Am I on the right track with this thinking?

Are the matrox cards and their software able to work with third party codecs like HUFFyuv?

Thanks,

P.S. I hope I signed up for the correct level of support for these questions. If not, let me know.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

JVC HRS9911 > Data video tbc1000 > Sign video proc amp > Sign video detailer > Capture device

This is what I do. You clean your signal before you attempt to alter it's color and sharpness settings. I think that works quite well.

So your chain is fine.

As far as introducing a calibrated monitor, I would not split anything or add additional devices between the detailer and capture card. Just use the s-video for the capture card and the composite for the monitor. It's just an external monitor, and the signal should be clean enough by that time that you won't have any quality issues using just a composite wire.

As far as SignVideo, ignore them. I find most programmers and hardware designers have a very skewed and unrealistic understanding of video. If you add a proc amp before the TBC, you are filtering a dirty signal, and that is certainly not optimal. I think their manual probably thinks VCR+PROCAMP+CAPTURE are the only 3 devices at play, which is pretty narrow-minded on their part. I'm not even remotely surprised by what is printed there. I tend to throw my manuals in a closet unless I need them to set a clock or something. Manuals like that are why sites like this even exist.

Matrox is just a really good card with a lot of features. It may be a somewhat cleaner capture than an ATI card is, but the reason to get that card is not really capture. It's an NLE card, meant for realtime video processing of effects and integration with Adobe Premiere. But it's a nice capture card. If you're not planning to do a ton of advanced editing, and you're not rolling in cash (hobbyist, not a business), it's probably unnecessary.

Matrox cards are strictly for video, no graphics. You'd still have to get a graphics card for the computer, and beyond that, one that is cooperative with the Matrox. Usually a short list of Matrox, nVidia or ATI Radeon cards.

The Matrox cards I believe only process video in a few formats, including DV25 and MPEG-2. Although it may very well be possible to do software capture (which is all AVI capturing is, really). Your MJPEG, HuffYUV, uncompressed, etc. You'd have to ask Matrox.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!