05-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Free Member

I'm still in the "hardware-gathering" stage of a project to archive the contents of a few S-VHS and a number of VHS -- both home-recorded and pre-recorded -- videotapes onto my computer (at first, anyway) ... Most of the home-recorded tapes were recorded on my "classic" JVC HR-S7000U, and they'll be archived onto the 2-TB RAID 0 array of a PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Core i7-865, 8 GB of memory) ... At some point in the project, I imagine they'll also be burned to DVD's ...

After reading the advice of this forum for a couple of days, I went ahead and ordered a new-in-the-box ATI TV Wonder 600 USB device yesterday ... Having decided that the only other hardware that I (am likely to) need is (1) a high-end JVC S-VHS VCR, and (2) a good full-frame TBC box, I ask:

Is there a better source for the AVT-8710? Is the current B&H crop bad?

I've been Googling/searching eBay for the 7600/7800/9600/9800/V10 JVC models, and I'm perplexed by the eBay prices ... Here's what I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-SR-V10U-S-VH...item19c541b0a7
$50 for a V10 ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-SR-V10U-Supe...item2eb52041f2
$75 for a V10 ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-Super-VHS-S-...item3f09c3daba
$61 (currently) for a 7800 ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-Super-VHS-ET...item45fa6d2725
$140 for a 7800 sounds more like it, without the manual or remote ...

Not only have I never used eBay before, I've never even bought "used" (i.e., "caveat emptor") equipment before -- only "refurbished" once or twice, with some kind of warranty, from well-known/respected chains ... So I just don't know what to make of these prices -- I'd love to get a great bargain, buuuuuuuuuuuut ...

Should I get the 7800 for $140, or one of the others, or just wait a bit?

And also, how does my "hardware plan" for tape archival sound in general?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkt View Post
This is the same seller I bought my SR-V10U from for the same price. It works flawlessly and the outside is like-new. He also packaged the item well and was quick with shipping. I'm not sure why they are so cheap. I do know he had a huge lot of them, so maybe he was just trying to offload?

Remember that not everyone recognizes that there are videophiles out there willing to pay top $$$ for these rare units, so they are sometimes posted at low prices. Some sellers also don't know the true value of what they have ( thats how I got a steal on my BVP-4 procAmp). Just make sure the seller has a good reputation and return policy. I usually ask for more pictures if there aren't enough posted already.
The following users thank Tuco for this useful post: newkt (05-14-2011)
05-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Free Member

Thanks, Tuco!

Well, I reckon that's good enough for me ... At that price, I'm in!

Kevin
05-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkt View Post
Is there a better source for the AVT-8710? Is the current B&H crop bad?
I don't think it has been officially confirmed that all of B&H's current batch of AVT-8710s are bad. I think right now its hit or miss. Take a look at this thread. Mine was bad and I returned it. Instead I picked up a CTB-100, which is basically an AVT-8710 with a different color shell. I bought mine off eBay from this seller and it works fine - Just don't pay attention to the misleading and incorrect product description when it comes to "image enhancement". Those photos are fake. I received my CTB-100 within a few days of purchasing it and everything was well packed. Or you can try B&H. If you get a bad apple their return process is painless. But you will definitely want/most likely need a TBC for what you are doing.
05-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Just finished testing my new CTB-100. It exhibits the same problem. I think I will hold out for a new TBC-1000 until the issue is resolved.
Quote:
Thanks for the insight, LS!

There must be something I/we are missing. This is my first experience using a TBC so perhaps I am expecting it to do more than it is supposed to. Kind of how people think the new weight loss pill is the magic bullet of obesity.

Both my AVT-8710 and the CTB-100 freak out on the JVC blue screen. But I don't get that same effect when playing a video. I can live with a messed up JVC OSD ( I don't really sit around and cap myself flipping around the jvc settings ).

However, I noticed that I get a lot of vertical "jumping" on several of my tapes, even an SP dub of the 1960's Batman animated series. Because I dubbed it in SP, I expect more from it (Not saying I should, but I have SP is Flawless Disease). Granted, it is worse without the TBC than with it, but I would expect it to not jump vertically at all with a TBC ( correct me if I am wrong ). I have even tried using it in conjunction with the built-in "TBC" on the JVC SR-V10U. That just makes it worse, but it is mostly solid colors and the DNR looks excellent so I am obsessed about making it work. The error I get is something similiar to what you would see if you got the field order wrong and tried to watch it on an interlaced TV. I'll see if I can take some screen caps, but the desktop is out of commision until my new MB arrives. Some parts of the video get jerky and "stuttery", for lack of a better term. If you've ever made an SVCD back in the day and got the field order wrong, then you know what I'm talking about.

I'm thinking of holding on to the CTB-100 because the AVT has already gone back and I think I may be expecting a magic bullet here when it really isn't. I've only got two VCRs to test with, so so I'm starting to think that just because it doesn't work in one prosumer JVC ( SR-V10U in my case ) doesn't mean another high-end JVC (or the recommended Mitsubishi model on this site) won't do better.

Maybe instead of dropping $500 on a brand new TBC-1000, I should use those resources to purchase another high-end VCR?

If I decide to keep this TBC for now ( have 12 days to decide ) then maybe I can ship it to someone on this site to test, who has a more extensive line of hardware and experience than myself and can confirm if its the TBC or "magic bullet" syndrome.

I'll keep the thread updated as I test more sources.
Quote:
I don't think it has been officially confirmed that all of B&H's current batch of AVT-8710s are bad. I think right now its hit or miss. Take a look at this thread. Mine was bad and I returned it. Instead I picked up a CTB-100, which is basically an AVT-8710 with a different color shell. I bought mine off eBay from this seller and it works fine - Just don't pay attention to the misleading and incorrect product description when it comes to "image enhancement". Those photos are fake. I received my CTB-100 within a few days of purchasing it and everything was well packed. Or you can try B&H. If you get a bad apple their return process is painless. But you will definitely want/most likely need a TBC for what you are doing.
Thanks again, Tuco!

So you're saying that your current setup with the SR-V10U and CTB-1000 --
purchased from those two eBay links -- works well for you? If so, I'll buy
them both from those links, because so far I'm seeing in the forum here
a string of (at least) 4 very recent AVT-8710's from B&H that are bad --
1 for you, and 3 in a row (!) for "newby" ...

And thanks for the heads-up about "image enhancement" fake photos ...

Kevin
05-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Free Member

Well, I don't solely use the SR-V10U. I have about 6 different VCR's because some play nice with the SR-V10U and some don't. For example I recently purchased a Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U that performs better than my SR-V10U on certain tapes. I think you might find yourself buying different VCR's down the road to adapt to different tapes, but you are off to a good start. My SR-V10U is my primary capture VCR along with the Mistsubishi and some 6-head Toshiba W-7 series for tough EP mode tapes. I've also got a few older consumer-grade VCRs for those odd tapes that throw off the more expensive VCR's ( for some unknown reason ).

But in short, yeah I can vouch for my good experience with both of those sellers, but I can't guarantee as I have only dealt with each of them once.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the SR-V10U and the CTB-100 for starters. Just don't get discouraged if one tape plays perfect and another one has issues; that's not uncommon, which is why most people here own multiple VCRs.

NOTE: The remote control that comes with the SR-V10U in that auction is a JVC Multi Brand Remote ( LP20303-018 ) and not the original ( I don't believe ), but all the important functions work fine.

Sorry, this is the best picture of the remote I could find at the moment ( don't have my camera here ) :
LP20303-018.jpg

Good luck!

05-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Free Member

Thanks once again, Tuco!

Since you've had a good experience with those two eBay sources,
I guess I'll try my luck as well!

Kevin
05-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Thanks for the linkage. I just bought another SR-V10U for that $50 price.
Still one unit left, as of half an hour ago.

Quote:
The remote control that comes with the SR-V10U in that auction is a JVC Multi Brand Remote ( LP20303-018 ) and not the original ( I don't believe ), but all the important functions work fine
No, those black remotes are the original ones. Only the 9600+ series machines have the tan-colored remotes, which include the jog wheel. The "multi-brand" black remotes came stock with all JVC S-VHS VCRs, outside the 9000s, since at least the x600 generation (3600-7600), and the SR-V10/101 lineage.

PAL S-VHS VCRs had smaller gray remotes, like mini versions of the black ones.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
05-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
My SR-V10U is my primary capture VCR
Same here. I had been using a 9800 and AG-1980, but both need work done. The SR-V10 had been my backup, should the 9800 ever falter.

Thanks for unusually cheap eBay auctions in recent weeks, I bought several more SR-V10 units for under $75 shipped each, as extra backups. Fair market value of those VCRs is usually $150-250 each! Not sure what caused the crazy low pricing, but worked for me! Glad to hear several of you were able to get in on that, too.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Thanks for the linkage. I just bought another SR-V10U for that $50 price.
Still one unit left, as of half an hour ago.
Well, it's an hour later, and no units left now ... That was quick!

I was thinking of snapping up a second one,
but now I'm just glad I was able to get one!

Kevin
05-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
No, those black remotes are the original ones. Only the 9600+ series machines have the tan-colored remotes, which include the jog wheel. The "multi-brand" black remotes came stock with all JVC S-VHS VCRs, outside the 9000s, since at least the x600 generation (3600-7600), and the SR-V10/101 lineage.

PAL S-VHS VCRs had smaller gray remotes, like mini versions of the black ones.
Thanks for the correction KP!

P.S. I was thinking of grabbing another for backup as well just in case it keels over one day. Maybe he has more and will post them again. Let's just hope he doesn't realize the value and jack up the price.
05-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Thanks for the correction KP!

P.S. I was thinking of grabbing another for backup as well just in case it keels over one day. Maybe he has more and will post them again. Let's just hope he doesn't realize the value and jack up the price.
Yeah, it sounded like he had a bunch of them used by a professional
recording outfit ... If they surface again at anywhere near that price,
I'll get another one!

Kevin