Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-25-2009, 03:39 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

One good resource for Hauppauge cards, at least in years past, was http://www.shspvr.com/smf -- the owner goes by the name "shspvr" in a number of video-related forums, such as VideoHelp.com.

I don't think the site is used much anymore, and there appear to be a lot of unanswered posts, but you may want to look in the 250/350 forum, page by page of thread titles, and see if anybody had an issue similar to yours, and if they got an answer.

I started to do that just now, saw nothing on the first 4 pages. It's 3:30 a.m. where I am now, well past bedtime, so I need to stop for the day.

I looked up the "no video" error on Google, using a number of advanced search techniques (boolean code, etc), but the only information I found online was people with similar problems -- and nobody ever gave them an answer (did not even try).

I don't know where you are, but one more option is to send the card here, with software, and I can test it, write some PVR250 guides, etc. You would probably be without a card for a number of weeks, but it's something to consider if you start to give up.

I had a lot of trouble with one of my computers all through 2006-2008. In November 2008, I yanked out the motherboard, a hard drive, and an ATA card, and trashed all of it. I bought a new hard drive, received a new motherboard, and started to use SATA/IDE adapters instead of ATA cards, and the system is perfect now. My point is that sometimes computers themselves can be full of problems. It's getting closer to identifying serious motherboard problems.

What sort of motherboard have you got? Can you see the brand/model/chipset information? Try to use the software CPU-Z and screen cap (or write out) the specs of your mainboard. If it's a cheap VIA board, there could be issues.

I still say to yank out the new soundcard, and see if the onboard (or old one) work by showing video or not.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Free Member

What kind of work do you do on capture cards, would you be able to fix it or something? I don't know if the card is the problem though because before I did the system recovery it was playing composite video
If I take out the new soundcard, would I still have sound? If not, what do I have to do to get it back?
Also, ever since I did all this yesterday, I've noticed that stuff I type in, like settings aren't being saved..when I shut off my computer and turn it back on everything seems to reset..like nothing that I put in is being remembered as it should be. How would I fix that?
If no errors are showing up, and I wiped my system clean what does that point to as possibly the main problem?
01-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Free Member

Here's the CPUZ stats..
I also notice that my computer is lagging a lot more then it did, and I havent even reinstalled my programs yet...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg spd.jpg (102.1 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: jpg memory.jpg (100.8 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg mainboard.jpg (109.8 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg cpu.jpg (108.3 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg cache.jpg (108.2 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg about.jpg (99.8 KB, 2 downloads)

Last edited by Superstar; 01-25-2009 at 12:56 PM.
01-26-2009, 03:29 AM

The computer should be fine. It's an AMD XP 1500+, 512MB DDR RAM, SiS chipset ECS motherboard. It's really no much different than one of my computers from a few years ago, before I upgraded it (now has XP 2700+ and 1.5GB RAM). It worked fine with an ATI AIW AGP card, and still does (newer version, now).

I could not fix a bad card, but I could test that it truly works. This is in the absence of you being able to test yourself on another computer.

The system should not run slower with a fresh XP install. I mean a truly fresh Windows XP install, not "recovery discs" from a manufacturer, or Vista, or some other restore or backup. That does not make sense to me, unless something on the computer is failing. Is the hardware okay? I mean, do the fans all spin fine in the case, and against the CPU? Is there any dust in the case, specifically, between the CPU fan and the CPU, inside the metal heatsink? If so, get some compressed air "duster" from the office store, and clean it out. Be careful to not spew liquid into the system, just the air.

If your computer has onboard sound, and you take out the soundcard, it should work. But onboard audio is often disabled in the BIOS, when a new card is added, so the BIOS setting would need to be turned back on. I don't

The ECS board you have is supposed to have onboard AC97 audio. See http://www.amdboard.com/ecsk7s5a.html
Did you disable that card in the BIOS, when you added the new card? Maybe that was part of your problem too, a major conflict of resources!

I don't know what you mean by settings not be saved. You'd have to elaborate.

This is definitely a computer problem, in my mind. I bet the Hauppauge card is fine, the VCR is already known to be fine -- your computer is simply not cooperating, and it's looking more and more to be hardware related. It could be a bad stick of RAM, an inferior AGP video card, or corrupt Windows drivers. We just now eliminated the drivers, I think (depends on how you installed Windows XP again).

RAM is less likely, so let's ignore that for now.

I'm starting to think it's an AGP video card problem. This board has no onboard video, so what card is inside? I refer not to the capture card, but the system graphics (also called "video"). nVidia, ATI, something else? Is it PCI or AGP? If PCI, then that may be the conflict with the Hauppauge card. You can learn what video card you have by looking at the hardware usually, or by looking in the DEVICE MANAGER (like we did yesterday) and seeing what is listed, both in brand and model. Maybe even for driver date.

01-26-2009, 03:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
This is starting to go outside the scope of what I usually help with, which is video-related topics. Figuring out computer errors looks to be in order before proceeding any more with help on capturing video.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Free Member

It's alright Smurf..hopefully I can get this taken care of.

All the hardware seems to be fine..So I hope that's not the problem. I guess I'll remove the sound card, how do I re-active the AC97 card in BIOS? Do you think it's a good chance that is what that error message came up?

By settings I mean like, preferences.for example in my messenger when I change settings to things I want it, it just resets after I turn my computer off. Or if I try to customize IE, like remove icons at the top, as soon I close the browser and re-open it they're back there...I dont know if thats a cache or cookies problem or what..it seems to not remember anything that I do, as it should.

The video card ia about 5 yrs old actually. I used to have an HP Media Center back in 03' and the computer I have now was custom built in 05' and he took the system graphics card from that one, and put it into this. I went to the device manager and the only thing I could find that might be it is Radeon 9200 then under that it says Radeon 9200 - Secondary

The computer is also lagging like crazy..and I haven't even downloaded all my video programs or anything. It seems to be running slower now then it did when I had everything on it before I did the recovery..The way he reformatted it was with the it looks pink to me Windows XP Home Edition CD..Also, I notice it sounds like something keeps loading..the noises lasts about a second but it comes up every minute at least. I know that's not a lot of info but that's really the best way I can describe it.

Last edited by Superstar; 01-26-2009 at 09:45 AM.
01-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Free Member

Do you think I should replace that Radeon card? It is like 5 years old...maybe there's a good chance that's the problem? What is a good one to get for what I'm going to be doing?
01-26-2009, 11:57 PM

Age would not be the reason -- dying hardware would be. The computer I'm typing on right now has an ATI All In Wonder 7200 AGP card in it, a card that was made and released in 2001. But my 7-year-old card is fine. A bit slow if I try certain demanding tasks (games, mostly), but otherwise fine for video and photo work. I have an ATI AIW 9200 AGP card in the AMD XP system, and it's fine too.

It's worth trying another piece of hardware, especially if you can borrow one, or buy and return (should it not be the problem). Anything I suggest that is not needed should surely go back to the store.

01-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Free Member

What kind or brand do you recommend that I buy? I've never had to buy one before so I don't know much about them.
Also you said dying hardware could be the problem..what else could be the dying hardware? Any other possibilies?

What do you think is causing these problems....

By settings I mean like, preferences.for example in my messenger when I change settings to things I want it, it just resets after I turn my computer off. Or if I try to customize IE, like remove icons at the top, as soon I close the browser and re-open it they're back there...I dont know if thats a cache or cookies problem or what..it seems to not remember anything that I do, as it should.

The computer is also lagging like crazy..and I haven't even downloaded all my video programs or anything. It seems to be running slower now then it did when I had everything on it before I did the recovery..The way he reformatted it was with the it looks pink to me Windows XP Home Edition CD..Also, I notice it sounds like something keeps loading..the noises lasts about a second but it comes up every minute at least. I know that's not a lot of info but that's really the best way I can describe it.

I just went and bought a Diamond Stealth ATI Radeon 9250 video card, and my monitor wouldn't work with it for some reason lol. This is getting very frustrating

Last edited by Superstar; 01-27-2009 at 04:01 PM.
01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Free Member

Before I even start my video projects I am going to buy a new computer and keep it offline. The one time I might put it online is to download a few programs that I know I need, if there is not a hardcopy version available. Just because I know something like this would happen if I use it for internet purposes as well. Sorry to hear all of this going on... hope you get it figured out.
01-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Free Member

Ya this isn't fun that's for sure lol. Thanks a lot for your well wishes, I appreciate it.
01-28-2009, 12:01 PM

There are really only two major brands of video/graphics card: ATI and nVidia. Either would work fine. Some other brands are "powered by" ATI or nVidia, you'll see that too. Cards can be found at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc.

You may need to be careful about DVI-I, DVI-D and VGA connections. Depends on your monitor, as to which is supported.

I have no answer for your preferences issue. Something is definitely wrong.

01-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Free Member

I just went and bought a Diamond Stealth ATI Radeon 9250 video card, and my monitor wouldn't work with it for some reason. I had it plugged into the right slot. Can you think of any other hardware or anything? Do you think upgrading the memory might help?
01-28-2009, 05:18 PM

There is a tiny chance that you have one or more bad sticks of RAM. Bad RAM can cause all sorts of goofy problems.

I don't feel comfortable saying "yes, buy new RAM" because that is one thing that is near-impossible to return to the store, if it's not needed. If you want to upgrade your RAM to make the system better, then sure, grab an all-new pair of 1GB sticks, give yourself 2GB total.

I'm at a total loss as to why your computer is acting so obnoxiously stubborn. I'm actually a bit sad for you, because this isn't what you wanted to be doing. I wish you were instead happily capturing video.

I'd almost have to be sitting in front of such a stubborn computer to diagnose it further. You might need to call in a friend or family member that has some decent computer knowledge, to assist you. Or take it to a computer shop, but I honestly cannot stand 99.9% of those places (the techs often don't know half as much as they think they do).

Your power supply could be going bad too. It's possible.

Overheating CPU is yet another possible option.

It's so hard to guess at this point, as it seems to be a systemic problem instead of one isolated to a certain piece of hardware or software.

01-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Free Member

I got it fixed! I noticed before that in WINTV32 there is an S-Video input so I switched it to that before and it didn't work, and yesterday after I did another system recovery (my 3rd since last saturday) I tried it again, and it worked, I was so happy. Today I upgraded my memory from 512 to 1 GB, unfortunately that's all that it holds, is there any other ways I can make the computer faster or anything? Thanks a lot for all of your help.
01-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Goods news on the WinTV software working again.

The 1GB of RAM is probably fine, that's a good amount. My main computer only has 1GB too, and it's perfectly fine for most work. It encodes a bit slower than my others, but that's mostly a CPU issue, not a RAM one.

Start capturing some video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PM
The audio looked a lil out of sync but if I remember that's no big deal because it'll be in sync on the burned DVD, right?
No, that should not happen. It should be in sync during capture, and after. But as long as the final video is in sync 100%, then that's all that matters I guess. You'll need to open it in Womble software (or VLC player) and see how it goes.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs