02-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Free Member

Hi,

It's been 11 years since I purchased a new computer desktop. And the old one is failing on me. The reason I kept fixing it was the excellent quality video capture with the LifeView FlyVideo 3000 PCI card from S-Video sources (NTSC, and SECAM). However, the computer is just falling apart and it is time to bury it. Yet, I'd like to bring some hardware components to the new computer. So I'd like to get the new one possibly custom build. I would like to bring the PCI capture card LifeView FlyVideo 3000 and install it on the new computer. Also I will be using both ATI USB 650 that I just bought and maybe ADVC-300 for quick captures. I know that if I would like to be doing analog video capture, I want 32 bit Windows XP. Not a problem. However, I wanted to ask which motherboards I should go for and which motherboards I should avoid. The mother board requirements are at least 2 classic PCI slots and bunch of PCI express or whatever, USB 3.0 but compatible with USB 2.0 (for my ATI USB), firewire 6 pin and preferrably high quality onboard sound chip. Also no more ATA. I'd like to get SATA hard drives and burners. I have heard that VIA chipset based motherboards have high quality onbard chipset Envy24T. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

--Leonid

Last edited by metaleonid; 02-06-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Free Member

do you prefer Intel or AMD?
what kind of budget?

i have used Gigbyte, MSI, Asus, Asrock and Foxconn and found them all to be acceptable
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: metaleonid (02-06-2012)
02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
do you prefer Intel or AMD?
what kind of budget?

i have used Gigbyte, MSI, Asus, Asrock and Foxconn and found them all to be acceptable
Which one is more optimal for multimedia playback and video capture Intel or AMD? If it is indifferent, then I'd prefer VIA motherboard (which only works with AMD if I remember correctly) with high quality onboard soundcard.

Budget - $1000/$2000?
02-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Free Member

with that much of a budget you can build a kick-ass PC
i like AMDs - you get more for you money - Intels are overpriced IMO
browse on Newegg
i'd go with a 6 or 8 core AMD with a MSI or Gigabyte motherboard with 2 PCI-express slots that supports crossfire
also look for a board that has SATA III and the onboard sound you want
4 DDR3 RAM slots is a must too
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: metaleonid (02-06-2012)
02-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
with that much of a budget you can build a kick-ass PC
LOL

Quote:
i'd go with a 6 or 8 core AMD with a MSI or Gigabyte motherboard with
The question is - will I be able to install 32 bit Windows XP? I can additionally install other OS like Linux and 64 bit Windows XP, but I know that simple TV Tuner might not work on anything other than 32 bit Windows XP. Another thing even if I install 32 bit XP, can there potentially be any driver incompatibility?

Quote:
2 PCI-express slots that supports crossfire
also look for a board that has SATA III and the onboard sound you want
4 DDR3 RAM slots is a must too
What about classic PCI slots? I definitely want to use my old TV Tuner capture card LifeView. There's no PCI express version of it and it was discontinued. I have heard that there are PCI expansion though.
02-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Free Member

just about all ATX boards still have 1 or 2 regular PCI slots
im sure you can run 32-bit XP - but it will be holding the system back

you might be better off getting an old used PC and set it aside just for capturing.
you dont need a whiz-bang PC for that.
that way your new super fast PC can run a better OS like 64 bit 7 Ultimate
02-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Free Member

Quote:
you might be better off getting an old used PC and set it aside just for capturing.
you dont need a whiz-bang PC for that.
That's true too. But I will still need the motherboard with at least 2 PCI slots and preferrably SATA. ATA is too slow.

--Leonid
02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
It's not an all-or-nothing scenario to have SATA and PCI.

My main ATI capturing system is based on an older AMD Athlon single-core, and the motherboard has SATA-I and multiple PCI slots. There were SATA-II single core motherboards, SATA-II with dual core CPU, etc. I've often found Geeks.com to be useful for older hardware. While I do shop at Fry's or Microcenter, as well as Amazon.com and Newegg.com, most of my boards come from Geeks.com, as I rarely build a new whizbang computer. My "new" computers are almost always of previous generations, because the hardware and software in use is not compatible with the latest hardware or OS.

New 6/8-core AMD systems may not have Windows XP drivers -- especially for the new motherboards. I'd avoid that.

Get a capture system based on modest specs. Leave the high-end latest/greatest for an encoding or editing computer (non-capturing).

For example: Right now, Geeks.com has a "Dell OptiPlex GX620 Pentium D 945 3.4GHz 2GB 160GB DVD±RW XP Professional Mini-Tower" for $191 shipped. It has anything you'd need for a non-AGP capture computer, aside from the capture card. Or, as an alternative, search for "AGP" and it'll bring up a list of boards. Find a board you like, then search for the CPU and RAM. You can build a capture-only box for under $200.

In fact, next month, we'll be selling some "capture kits" on this site. Computer motherboard/CPU/RAM + capture card + optional TBC. You'll have to only supply your own computer case ($25-50, whatever you want to spend) and copy of Windows XP. These were working systems pulled for various non-technical reasons. I expect they'll be gone within a week of being posted.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: metaleonid (02-06-2012)

Tags
new desktop