Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Free Member

I have a long standing issue. Over the years I have taken analog hi-8 movies. They look great on my 9" analog tv. The details are clear, and you can read all the street signs. If I input them via rca to my video card, the results are terrible. Soft, rubbery images, everything is blurred out. Yes, tv screen verses computer screen. The resolution is just not compatible. I researched analog to digital convertor boxes. Amazon reviews were very high for the Canopus advc110. I guess, at 200 bucks. The people claimed the quality on their computer was the same as on their tv's. Baloney. I purchased this box and it did not do anything. The firewire output was the same as the input, and looked as terrible as always. I want to transfer the hi-8 tapes to dvd, or at least to a bunch of cd's. So, that anyone looking on their computer screen would see a fabulous, clear image, like on my analog tv.
There must be a solution to all this. My Sony analog camcorder still works great. I have many vhs tape transfers, too. Everyone claims the issue is resolution. Even local stores are able to transfer analog to digital format, but the results are still terrible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks David
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Free Member

my 8mm tapes look great on my PC. what model are you using for a playback cam? it really needs to be one on the better Sony Hi8's with TBC/DNR. i tried using a Minolta Hi8 cam first and it looked like total sh-t. i now use a Sony CCD-TRV101. you also need an real external TBC like an AVT-8710 or a TBC-1000. the advc110 is not a replacement for a proper TBC. and you should be using S-video cables not rca composites.

what capture/video card where you using?

be very leary of local places offering this service. lately every moron that buys a VHS/DVD recorder combo unit at Wal-mart thinks they are an expert. i see them advertising on Craigslist sometimes. i emailed one for the hell of it and he didnt even know what a TBC was.

Last edited by volksjager; 04-25-2012 at 09:37 PM.
04-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Free Member

thanks for responding. Ok, I am using a Sony TRV-716 analog hi-8 camcorder. It is about 12 years old. My video card is a Pinnacle( I hate them) AV/DV card. It has firewire input and composite and rca input(video), and rca video out. My vhs player is a Toshiba model. Not all of my hi-8's have been transferred to vhs. Right now, I need to use the hi-8, if possible as the input source. It only has rca outputs.
The camcorder still works fine, and has many more features than most units today. Like, everything is adjustable. As I mentioned, the computer image is rubbery, and shows constant internal instability. I just want to see what I do on the crt television, which is what I saw, in real time. I was also not aware of the tbc/dnr issue. I noticed a reference on this website, and am learning. Any suggestions are always welcome. Thanks
04-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Free Member

i think you mean a TR716. i dont think there is a TRV716.
if so i wouldn't use that camera. and definitely dont transfer HI-8 to VHS. Hi-8 is a much better source that VHS

you need some better equipment:
get a Sony Hi-8 with TBC/DNR and a S-video out.
for VHS get a JVC Super-VHS VCR with TBC.
a AVT-8710 or TBC-1000 is highly recommended.
ditch the pinnacle and go with an ATI capture card. if your using XP get a AIW , if 7 a USB600/650
04-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Free Member

Gosh, I hope I haven't gotten in too deep. Since the tbc/dnr is not done in real time, (from what I am told). can't I just use my existing Tr-716 as the player, into a separate device. like the AVT 8710, that you mentioned, and into a better video card? Why do I need another recorder? Also, I'd love to send you a sample of what I am seeing on my computer screen. Is there a way to do that?
Also, I tried another sony camcorder, that used a memory card, and the results were almost as bad. Any ideas?
05-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
It's easy to get in too deep, when it comes to video. Companies selling cheap/crappy hardware make it look easy so that unsuspecting customers will pay top dollar ($100+) for garbage software and doodads at the local big-box electronics or office supply store. At most, you'll get crummy quality, if it works at all.

Quality takes a bigger investment of time (and knowledge accrued in that time), as well as $500+ (easy) in hardware. For an ideal setup, it can run thousands of dollars. That's why it's often cheaper and better to just send your tapes into a quality professional service. For example, here.

VHS is a soft, rubbery image in general, compared against other images viewed on a pixel-perfect modern LCD computer monitor or HDTV. So be sure your expectations are not unrealistic. But also don't undercut expectations too uch, and just accept any ol' garbage that may be barfed out by low-end hardware.

Assuming your in USA/Canada, the Canopus ADVC-110 uses DV25 at 4:1:1, which causes blurry of video. The color signal is 2x blurrier than it should be, when used to convert video. It's an overpriced paperweight. The people who like it and leave good reviews for it online just don't know any better. They're fine with blurry videos, apparently. The Canopus boxes further tend to cook the quality of colors and contrast, making the video look even worse. It's easy to make a "digtal looking" (overcompressed) video from VHS, S-VHS, Video8 or Hi8 tapes, using the DV boxes.

The advice from volksjager is good.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Free Member

if i where you i would sell off the sub-par stuff you have and start over.

these are known good Sony Hi-8 cams with TBC:
CCD-TRV62
CCD-TRV65
CCD-TRV66
CCD-TRV70
CCD-TRV72
CCD-TRV82
CCD-TRV85
CCD-TRV87
CCD-TRV99
CCD-TRV101
CCD-TRV615

if you are good on ebay you can score them cheap - i got my CCD-TRV101 for $53 shipped

the avt-8710 is just over $200 new from B&H Photo
(do NOT buy an 8710 on ebay)

for VHS you can get a good JVC Super-VHS with TBC for $100-$300

the ATI capture cards are very cheap - i think mine was $30

a couple good S-video cables would be a good idea too.

Tags
analog to digital, resolution, tv verses computer