05-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Free Member

I have a correctly installed Blackmagic Intensity Pro with component cables going in from my Xbox 360 and out to a monitor. When I set the Xbox setting to 720p and the Intensity settings to 720p I can see the image clearly and correctly on my monitor but in the Media Express software used to record from the Intensity to my computer the image is constantly flickering even when not recording, I have tried various settings and different recording software but no matter what it flickers. The only way I can get it to not flicker is to set it to 480p NTSC, this is not ideal since I would like to record in 720p or 1080i. Since the image on my Xbox monitor is fine that leads me to believe that all the hardware is functioning properly, I have all the drivers fully updated. I have one HDMI cable and have replaced both the input and output with that but that doesn't fix anything. I am going to try and get my hands on a second HDMI cable and see if having both the input and output as a HDMI cable fixes it but I suspect not. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get the image to not flicker on 720p pr 1080i?

Here are my some specs just in case you need them:
ASRock M3A UCC - AMD 480X CrossFire
AMD Phenom II X2 555
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Does the flicker only happen on the preview, or does it also exist in the recording?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Does the flicker only happen on the preview, or does it also exist in the recording?
It also exists during the recording.
05-09-2012, 03:42 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Have you tried to record anything else, aside from the XBOX, at HD resolutions?
The goal is to eliminate as many variables as possible. Here we'd decide if the XBOX is at fault, or the Blackmagic card.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
05-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Have you tried to record anything else, aside from the XBOX, at HD resolutions?
The goal is to eliminate as many variables as possible. Here we'd decide if the XBOX is at fault, or the Blackmagic card.
I tried recording the Xbox at 480p and that worked.
05-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Free Member

On the same note, I just purchased the Blackmagic Intensity Extreme. I want to capture from my VHS tapes/VCR to my mac system. I am connecting the composite cables to their breakout cable. There is a flicker/dropped signal within seconds of another. After contacting Blackmagic (several times) today - they have told me I need a timebase corrector but could offer no advise as to which will work. I am breaking my budget already on the BM product I was told (by them) would work for me, no problem...(also I purchased Final Cut Pro X for $300 for the editing...I guess I should have waited on that as I can't seem to get anything to work.
a) What TBC will work with Blackmagic Intensity Extreme and my VCR (one white, one yellow output)??
b) Will this solve my problem of Flickers/dropped signal?
c) Where is the least expensive place I can buy one / does anyone have a used working one they want to get rid of?

I am very new to Mac systems and I am at a complete loss. Any help is appreciated.
05-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Which TBC? Look at the DataVideo TBC-100, TBC-1000 or AVT-8710.
Read this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

Based on your other thread, you're using a low-end consumer VCR. A better VCR would help, as would the TBC. (Do both, not just one.)

B&H for about $225 on the AVT-8710.

There's really nothing special about the Mac. It's just more limited on hardware and software, when it comes to video. It has very narrow options, mostly confined to HDV and DV workflows, using ProRes422 or Avid DNxHD as editing intermediaries. You can run that same workflow on Windows, excluding the ProRes (use Huffyuv). And then there's several other workflow options in Windows, too! (VirtualDub or WinDV, for example.) Though with a Blackmagic card, you'll want to use the suggested workflow (Premiere?)

Video is a bottomless pit for expenses. You can spend $5,000 and still not have everything you need.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs