Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Free Member

Hello,

After reading the how to capture AVI with virtualdub and read that default settings are crappy. I have many questions.

I use HM-DM40000U to play the NTSC tape.

I have a external TBC for color correction and a beringer for audio correction.

In capture mode\video

I use Huffyuv codec with XP SP2 professional

In the preview pin and capture pin

I use YUY2 (instead of YUVY).

Compression Huffyuv\advanced

YUY2 (predict median (best)) as default
RGB (compression gradient (best)) as default

Custom video format

640x480 Data format YUY2 4:2:2 interleaved

I see I bunch of filters (noise; vertical; extend luma BP and WP)
that I didn't touch.

Also I didn't touch the capture filter\Amp proc video
and Levels applet.

Is my settings are ok and should I monitor some filter during my testing.

To be honest I was planning to use "neat video" noise reduction filter as plug in Premiere (as photographer I already have great result with Neat image in CS5) but
if you told me that virtualdub filters are stronger tools I will learn to work with them.

=============================

I use IPS viewsonic 2365WB calibrated with spyder.

After monitoring the color with my TBC (the original was greenish).
I did some testing capture.
Is it normal that when I play the test with window media player the video look completely different from a color and brigthness point of view? Still a codec issue?
Before doing some DVD burning test I would like to know if I should worry about this observation...

Thanks you in advance guys!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejnour View Post
=============================

I use IPS viewsonic 2365WB calibrated with spyder.

After monitoring the color with my TBC (the original was greenish).
I did some testing capture.
Is it normal that when I play the test with window media player the video look completely different from a color and brigthness point of view? Still a codec issue?
Before doing some DVD burning test I would like to know if I should worry about this observation...

Thanks you in advance guys!
I think I have noticed that huffyuv codec cannot be use by 2 programs at the same time, meaning that when I play the video with media player knowing that virtualdub is closed, I got the right color!

Knowing that I will do some post-processing on a i7 core 64 bits in premiere pro.

Does it mean that I have to install huffycodec 64 bits multi in order to work in premiere?

Do I will lose a lot of color correction when I will compress in a "lower codec" to burn DVD?

Photo world was easier vs video

Regards
05-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Free Member

Being asked to prepare some DVD for test and knowing that there is many way to get wrong during compression process. For example I saw that I can easyly loss chroma and luma if I don't have the right codec during edition. I would like to have your opinion.

I read a bit about huffYUV

Do I have just to follow the guide

Do I have to use Gspot software?

I have adobe premiere pro CS 5.5 (adobe media encoder), but I have no clue how it perform vs software ssuggestion guide?
Right now my purpose is to play this DVD via a retro-projector!
Much thanks for your opinion
05-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
AMV.org is nice, but be aware that there is some very bad information on their guides. Advice that would make videos look worse, not better.
So verify anything you read there.

I'll read this again tomorrow, and give a longer reply.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Time got away from me. If you still need help on this, let me know.

07-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Time got away from me. If you still need help on this, let me know.
Hello, yes I need help!

I mean I would like to have some guideslines or link to what to consider or be aware during the creation
of DVD. We want to do test DVD (using different filters adjusments) but I want to be sure that the creation processs don't introduce severe bia by itself.

Now I am able to capture lossless huffy that will to archives.

But if I want to create a DVD.

Do I have to simply open this lossless AVI in premiere pro 5 and compress it to fit it in DVD without any concern about change (example; color).

We bough the expensive spyder4elite kit to monitor color space during acquisition.

Does it my that if you want to play our compressed DVD on a TV or via a projector that have been calibrated with the same spyder4, the image should be representative of what I did during acquistion?

THanks
07-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Do I have to simply open this lossless AVI in premiere pro 5 and compress it to fit it in DVD without any concern about change (example; color).
More or less. Watch your specific compression settings, which includes not just bitrate, but quite a few other tweakable values in MainConcept (which is what Premiere Pro uses). That takes some research and reading, and your settings will vary based on the condition and content of the video itself. So there's no one-size-fits-all template.

Quote:
Does it my that if you want to play our compressed DVD on a TV or via a projector that have been calibrated with the same spyder4, the image should be representative of what I did during acquistion?
More or less, yes.

_____

Going back to earlier comments, AMV.org guides overcompress, overfilter, and use cheapy/freebie software. Anything made with those guides will turn out mediocre at best, worse than the source at worst. It's also very dated methodology. We need to redo out VirtualDub guides here -- a lot of guides, in fact, but thus far have just lacked time. It is forthcoming by end of year, however.