Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Free Member

I had all of our 8 mm films converted to VHS a few years back. I then purchased A Sony DVD Rewriteable VRD-VC10 device. I used that to convert, using an HP DVD+R, one of the VHS tapes to DVD. I used a Phillips Player/VCR DVP3345V to do the transfer through the VRD. It worked very well. I can play the DVDs either on my computer or on the Philips DVD side with no issue. I also have a Panasonic DVD/VIDEO CD/CD player DVD-RV30 and I get the message that "this type of disc cannot be played etc." These are inkjet printable discs

I just pulled another disc that I did on Verbatim light scribe DVD-R using the same equipment and it plays on either of my DVD players!!!! And the computer. It looks good.

Have I answered my own question? Is it the disc? I played the inkjet disc above on the computer and quality is nothing like the Verbatim. Verbatim is excellent and plays on both players plus the computer. The inkjets play on one DVD player and the computer, but not on the Panasonic player.

I brought the dual player upstairs and hooked it to the computer through an HDAV Grabber instead of my Sony Rewritable. I wanted to see it record on the computer as it transferred. It looks like I need to do a Verbatim with the HDAV Grabber and see if it plays on the Panasonic DVD player as well--or not.

Anything I am missing here? Would you say it is my discs at this point?

Thanks,

CarolJoy
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Free Member

Could be a few things at play here, but most likely poor quality media.

That particular model of standalone DVD recorder seems to have some reliability issues -- just searching online, I've found quite a few complaints about it. It sounds like a bit of a flaky device, although I'd venture that 85%+ of the problems with discs in most cases are due to using bad media rather than the device itself. I know the Lightscribe disc was Verbatim, but what is the brand of the inkjet printable discs you used? Just as a note, Taiyo Yuden makes some very nice inkjet printable discs that are very reliable.

If the discs end up being the culprit, you can always rip all of the DVDs that don't play well on your player to the computer and re-burn them using better discs with imgBurn.

Also, what did you mean by "quality is nothing like the Verbatim". Were you referring to the durability of the ink jet printable disc, or the actual video an audio quality of the content on the disc? If it was the latter, what issues did you observe? (e.g. image freezing or breaking up, audio problems, etc)
09-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolJoy View Post
I just pulled another disc that I did on Verbatim light scribe DVD-R using the same equipment and it plays on either of my DVD players!!!! And the computer. It looks good.
Some players will only accept +R or - R, some neither. Having said that videohelps list suggests it's compatible with +R. The easiest thing to do here is just don't buy +R if you have no issues with the -R's.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?...y=Name&hits=50

Quote:
Were you referring to the durability of the ink jet printable disc, or the actual video an audio quality of the content on the disc?
That was in reference to the disc itself, discs are just like any other product. A Yugo and Ferarri are both cars but hardly comparable.

Assuming you have used the same video and audio settings like bitrates the quality of the audio and video during playback will be exactly the same no matter what the quality of the disc is. It's bunch of ones and zeroes on the disc and they don't change unless of course they become corrupted by a bad disc in which case playback will fail.

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-30-2012 at 08:30 AM.
09-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Free Member

use only Mitsubishi Verbatim or JVC Taiyo Yuden blank discs - all others are crapola

also you are leaving a ton of quality on the table using that Phillips combo deck a a VHS player
get a good JVC Super-VHS deck

im not sure about that Sony dvd recorder either
i highly doubt it is as good as an LSI equipped JVC
09-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
Also, what did you mean by "quality is nothing like the Verbatim". Were you referring to the durability of the ink jet printable disc, or the actual video an audio quality of the content on the disc? If it was the latter, what issues did you observe? (e.g. image freezing or breaking up, audio problems, etc)
I'd like to know the answer to this one, too. Same question from me.

However, I will say this: HP DVD+R is almost assuredly a low-grade CMC DVD blank. Problems are expected.
Those were very cheap discs, often found at the Dollar Store and Big Lots. Yep -- that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
im not sure about that Sony dvd recorder either
I know quite a bit about that unit -- and it's really quite terrible. Quality is very grainy and blocky.
It was bad on an SDTV, and almost intolerable on modern HDTV sets that show all the noise.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

ooops, I was replying to wrong poster thinking it was OP that asked that question. Blame the ad.
The following users thank thecoalman for this useful post: admin (10-10-2012)
10-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
ooops, I was replying to wrong poster thinking it was OP that asked that question. Blame the ad.
The information wasn't bad/wrong, so you're excused.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!