Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Free Member

Hello Lordsmurf,

I've been reading allot of your post and they are very informative, thanks for that. I currently purchased a AG-1980, For A FA-800 and a Canopus DVRex-M1 system. I may have my work cut out for me getting the Canopus to work with Windows 7. I don't have all the pieces yet but I may need to build and XP virtual machine in order to get the Canopus drivers to work. There are a few other tricks I can use to make legacy software run on Windows 7 but that will be the last resort. I know it will probably be easier to go with a ADVC-110 and call it a day and forget about the DVRex-M1 but I think the DVRex-M1 is the way to go.

If I cannot get the DVRex-M1 to work on Windows 7 (legacy drivers, etc.), would you recommend I build an older machine, throw on XP and use that instead or should I buy a ADVC-110? Is there a different capture card/box I should look at instead? Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
For many, many capture cards, Windows XP is simply required. Microsoft changed to much of the audio/video subsystem in Vista and 7 (and now 8). Honestly, for a pure work tool that's not used for the internet (i.e., no virus/malware threats), XP is easier to use, and it can be faster on older systems.

Now, as far as Canopus DV hardware is concerned, it's really old. The ADVC line is from the Pentium III generation, and it shows. You get MUCH better quality by using lossless (i.e., Huffyuv, Lagarith) or uncompressed video. For this reason, I suggest instead the ~2002-2006 ATI All In Wonder cards (ATI AIW), or even the ~2009 ATI 600 USB cards. To me, the Canopus DV boxes are at least a 5th choice, behind other (better) cards. It's just DV compression, which isn't great for VHS. DV is great for shooting, but fairly lousy for transferring VHS videos.

I guess it depends on your precise workflow needs. That was never mentioned.

If you have more questions, ask here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs