Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Free Member

First I want to say thanks to all the wonderful posts and comments that I have been reading here during my quest to transfer VHS tapes to digital.

What I have come up with so far:

JVC HR-S9900U
AVT-8710

Now I am looking for a capture card. I know a lot of people love the AIW cards but I would really rather use my Hackintosh for this project. So I am looking at the BlackMagic Intensity Pro. However I want the best capture within means that I an get. So with that I have two questions.

1. Is there a notable difference between this and an AIW card?

2. The breakout cable for this card only has component video for input (though it advertises S-Video support), would using a S-Video to YPbPr degrade any noticeable quality?

I am looking at this cable: http://www.amazon.com/7-Pin-S-Video-...7938264&sr=8-1

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-14-2014, 04:45 AM
Free Member

At least with my Intensity Pro you can use an S-VIDEO-to-2-RCA splitter cable to connect to the component inputs. Y(Yellow) to green and C (white) to Blue and then set the capture driver to s-video.input.

I've not had to use it for s-video capture date so I have no quality comparison to alternative means with the same program material. It captures component HD nicely.
08-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
you can use an S-VIDEO-to-2-RCA splitter cable to connect to the component inputs.
Oh, That is how that works. They didn't make it very clear on the site. So will I take a quality hit by using the Intensity Pro with an adaptor. Would an AIW card give me a better capture?
08-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Free Member

yes an AIW will be better
Macs are not good for video capture
Windows XPsp2 with and AGP AIW will give you the best results
08-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
I'm with volksjager on this one, and will add that I've never seen an experienced videographer recommend Black Magic for VHS work. Most would recommend against it.

And, yeah, working video on a Mac nowadays is living the hard way. True, some pro shops use Mac machines for video processing, but they don't work with the same formats, they don't use the same Mac you and I know, and they use software and ancillary hardware that no one except people on corporate budgets can afford -- and even at that, formats for Mac machines have many limitations and exclusions.
08-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
I'm with volksjager on this one, and will add that I've never seen an experienced videographer recommend Black Magic for VHS work. Most would recommend against it.

And, yeah, working video on a Mac nowadays is living the hard way. True, some pro shops use Mac machines for video processing, but they don't work with the same formats, they don't use the same Mac you and I know, and they use software and ancillary hardware that no one except people on corporate budgets can afford -- and even at that, formats for Mac machines have many limitations and exclusions.
I've gone through three, I could never recommend them. They mess with the luma improperly, and thats if they work in the first place.

They did several studies on the most stable pc/laptop hardware for Windows, and Mac came out on top each time. The only issue is support for legacy hardware with the Mac hardware, but I have had good experiences capturing in Windows with a Mac over bootcamp and parallels.
08-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

With the trouble of going through hoops to run Avisynth and VirtualDub. If you want to make repairs or restoration, the best you can do is FCP. But most people don't do any of that anyway. They get a $50 NLE and proceed as usual. But if you love Mac and can't work with a right-click mouse, stay with it.

I don't know what "stable" means. Why would anyone want to do extensive video work with a laptop anyway? But I understand: if that's all you have, so be it. I just couldn't work with a Mac or a laptop, either one. Far too many limitations, and at higher prices.

But, hey, everyone uses what they like. Makes the world go 'round.
08-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Free Member

Forgive me for speaking MacSpeak. I use a combination of dual-boot and virtual machines to run Windows. I don't support MacOS for doing this type of work, but I was just saying the Mac hardware has been reviewed several times and found to be the most stable for running Windows.
08-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

No problem, premiumcapture, not fussing at anyone. I've used a Mac myself.
08-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
Mac hardware has been reviewed several times and found to be the most stable for running Windows.
they must be comparing a mac against some POS wal-mart or dell box...

never had stability problems with any pc ive ever built
the best computers are built - not bought
08-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
they must be comparing a mac against some POS wal-mart or dell box...

never had stability problems with any pc ive ever built
the best computers are built - not bought
Not necessarily, although one could argue that 90% of most computers sold in store are PesOS (plural?). Think about it: many of these computers are churned out in factories like FoxConn, often with generic insides and slapped together to form a computer from parts from the lowest bidder. Mac's limited options for hardware give Apple more space to focus on driver quality.

This link gives more info on the company's thought process, which I think made it into their Windows driver development.
http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/wa...son_steve_jobs

I am not going to start a 'which is better' discussion regarding OSs, because frankly at the moment I prefer Windows 8.1, which is my 2nd boot to OS X. I just brought up the point regarding the Mac hardware.

Certainly if you are building and know the best parts to buy, you will have a much better machine than the generic store bought computer. My current situation calls for 99% laptop and 1% desktop, so I actually just gave away my current gaming PC to a family member. Interestingly enough, I can still play the newer Call of Duty's with the onboard graphics on the MBP.

As far as laptops, I went through an HP and Lenovo laptop before I settled on the MBP. I think the industry is changing and has started to make better hardware, but I won't switch until Mac screws something up.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/20361...ys-soluto.html
08-16-2014, 12:00 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

We like Macs, and use them -- just not for capturing video. It's simply the wrong tool.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Free Member

Thanks guys, I will build a windows box and go that route. Now I just wish I hadn't given away all my old hardware. I never thought at the time that I would need it again.

Tags
capture card, capture vhs, s-video, ypbpr