Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-14-2015, 09:05 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I am trying to capture Mini DV footage from my Sony PD-150 using a pinnacle studio moviebox.

It converts DV signal to USB Through a normal Firewire 4pin cable input to moviebox then a usb output to my laptop.

But every time I try and capture (used Premiere Pro, Pinnacle software & another windows DV capture software) it doesn't work!!!

For some reason it just cannot be recognised, even though the Moviebox is listed in 'devices & printers'

What am I doing wrong here? Is it windows 8? I've tried updating drivers (?) and hasn't helped so far...
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Mini-Dv is copied 1:1 to a computer via Firewire, not captured and re-encoded with capturing software. Other members familiar with Windows 8 might be able to offer some details on how to "capture" DV with software using that OS. If your laptop doesn't have Firewire, you're stuck with "capturing", but there will be a quality loss by using that method even uif could do it.

The article from the UK in this link might offer some help: http://www.dvmp.co.uk/dv-capture-over-usb.htm
06-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Free Member

The page linked by Sanlyn says that your device won't work on Windows 8; an update at the very bottom says that they got it to work on Windows 8.1 but only with "Version 14".
06-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
@msgohan, thankx for the new info. I didn't scroll down far enough to see that info.

I hate Windows 8. I upgraded my wife's Win8 PC to Windows 7.
06-15-2015, 03:34 AM
Remembered

Hello
Works only on Win 7 with Pinnacle USB Box 510
Pinnacle Studio 15 HD

Sorry, can not speak English

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DV-per-USB2-to-PC.jpg (58.8 KB, 28 downloads)
06-20-2015, 08:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
"It said to install Windows 8 or better. So I installed Linux." (I never tire of that old joke!)

Nice sample Goldwingfahrer.
Sometimes speaking English isn't that important when you can show screenshots.

I hate the term "capture", when usede for DV. It's not actually captured. It's transferred.
See also: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/capture-dv.htm

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Nice sample Goldwingfahrer.
Sometimes speaking English isn't that important when you can show screenshots.
Yes, as I see it
for Avisynth, Canopus Procoder and hybrid reaches my english, I'm already an old man.
1958 there were only French and Latin.

Hybrid =
Hybrid is a multi platform (Linux/Mac OS X/Windows) Qt based frontend for a bunch of other tools which can convert nearly every input to x264/x265/Xvid/VP9/... + ac3/ogg/mp3/aac/flac inside an mp4/m2ts/mkv/webm/mov/avi container, a Blu-ray or an AVCHD structure.

http://www.selur.de/

Quote:
I hate the term "capture", when usede for DV. It's not actually captured. It's transferred.
See also: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/capture-dv.htm
Read or transferred...is it correct

Win 8 I did not, but win 10 for testing.

DV [mini-DV or big bands] transfer works via DV-in at the Canopus NX Card [PCI or PCI-E] + Frontbay with Sony DSR 11 [Pal + NTSC]

The Panasonic AG-DV2700e [Pal SP + LP] goes only with an additional OHCI card with TI chipset, currently as free slot only PCI.
Have already tested the silver hair.

Tags
capture, driver, help with video, mini dv, pinnacle