Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-04-2021, 03:59 AM
Free Member

Hi all,

Setup:
JVC HRS8600 pal with build in TBC
Pinnacle PCTV analog usb pro usb2
HP Elitebook 8840P with win10 64bit

Source: S-VHS Tape from professional weddingshoot company

AmaRect TV
Codec: Lagorith Lossless
Audio: Not compressed
Quality: Good (in my eyes)

Virtualdub2
Same code, same audio
Quality: Better (less noise)
Audio: out of sync after an hour

Samples added after soms light editing in virtualdub

Questions:
Why is amarecTV lower quality when using same codec?
Why does Virtualdub get out of sync how to fix?
(i've tried the timing settings in virtualdub many times but gets keeping out of sync, Amarec has no problem)
Can changing the standard harddisk to a ssd solve this? (faster write speed?

Thanks and greetings from The Netherlands!

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 AmarecTV-2.mp4 (6.24 MB, 15 downloads)
File Type: mp4 Virtualdub2-2.mp4 (3.33 MB, 14 downloads)
File Type: mp4 AmarecTV.mp4 (4.80 MB, 4 downloads)
File Type: mp4 VirtualDub2.mp4 (3.30 MB, 5 downloads)

Last edited by Snder1384; 01-04-2021 at 04:13 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-04-2021, 10:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Pinnacle PCTV is a problem card when not used in XP.

What are the exact VirtualDub timing settings being attempted?

AmarecTV is a barebones capture software that is very hit-or-miss (mostly miss). It's apparently the flavor of the moment, somebody semi-clueless on Youtube or Reddit may be suggesting it, hence the sudden surge of requests about the outdated software.

Current VirtualDub2 is not the same as VirtualDub, in terms of capture. It's very different. Have you used VirtualDub 1.9.x yet? That is the most stable version. Then 1.10.x/FM/early-2, still not current-2.

The AmarecTV recording does seem to be noiser ... then again, it may be our imagination here. You need to create one of the Avisynth split-screen sample clips. MP4 is also hiding some of the noise/detail in encodes, so that could be a factor here, in terms of what I see (not the lossless you see).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-04-2021, 12:01 PM
Free Member

Hi LordSmurf, thanks for the response, I became an instant premiummember because this forum is full of knowlegde and it's the least I can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Pinnacle PCTV is a problem card when not used in XP.
Fortunatly, somehow on my install of 10 it works flawlessly, however i tried replacing my hdd with an 1tb ssd and a new win10 install and couldn't get the Pinnacle to work correct, it kept jittering making any recording useless. So i installed my old hdd back and praised that it worked again.
Maybe Pinnacle PCTV isn't the best, but its the only one I got for now.

Quote:
What are the exact VirtualDub timing settings being attempted?
The one I found here on this forum for usb capturecards. Nothing is checked, only 'do not resync between audio and video streams.' and 'Audio Latency determination on automatic, 30 blocks'.

I've tried different settings: sync video by adjusting video timing, sync audio and video by resampeling, Switching general settings of and on, Fixed audio detection latency but it doesn't matter it keeps getting out of sync by a half a second or a second at one hour in.

Arcsoft Showbiz: No audio problem (but crap image so I dumped that piece of garbage
AmarecTV: No audio problem
Virtualdub2: Audioproblem
Virtualdub 1.9 LordSmurf Edition (downloaded from here): Audio problem.

Quote:
AmarecTV is a barebones capture software that is very hit-or-miss (mostly miss). It's apparently the flavor of the moment, somebody semi-clueless on Youtube or Reddit may be suggesting it, hence the sudden surge of requests about the outdated software.
I've actually found it here in the numerous of Virtualdub audiosync topic as an alternative to Virtualdub. No reddit or Youtube post.

Quote:
The AmarecTV recording does seem to be noiser
It is, I will capture a sequence in AmarecTV and in Virtualdub 1.9 and splitscreen them.
The noise is noticable when there are low-light conditions so I'll capture a scene of that.
Now I use Awesome Video Player to align 2 clips and play them to see the difference

Thanks again for this awesome forum and all the information it offers. Its real fun reading up and learning so much about video recording and restoring!