Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-24-2017, 03:31 AM
Free Member

Hello,
At first I must tell that I have posted this same plea in the Videohelp forum. I know there are a lot of helpful guys, but noone responded... So now I just did copy and paste from the same thread.

I need your help because I have not moved much forward with evaluating the playback qualities of my Blaupunkt RTW-950 (clone of Panasonic FS200). Recently I made a thorough test with recording a few quality test tables directly from my PC by Firewire to Sony miniDV camera's analog out (S-Video) to Blaupunkt and my new LG LV880 HiFi using brand new BASF S-VHS cassettes. Afterwards I made captures from all 4 my VCRs using these test cassettes. Sadly, as always, Blaupunkt appeared to be the worst. It had more noise, darker picture, more droputs...
But that is not all. I did a recording with Blaupunkt in S-VHS mode with the same new S-VHS cassette. The passthrough signal was excelent, but the playback failed completely. It is simply not watchable.
As I have already told in my previous threads the Blaupunkt was bought faulty but in mint condition and repaired by a highly skilled master who was a constructor of VCRs in the 70-ies. I consulted with him about these test results. He told me that he had repaired and measured all the necessary chains, signals, levels, tensions, everything. And everything confirms to standards. He thinks that the VCR performs at its capabilities and that it simply can't compete with much more recent VCRs. When asked why does it fail to record in S-VHS he thinks that the only possibility is a faulty processor. The heads are fine because he measured the head output levels too.
So at present I have no more clue. So I kindly ask everyone who has had more than one Panasonic- FS200, HS 100, HS 950, HS 960 and so has had the ability to compare the picture quality of more than one high-end S-VHS Panasonic of the 90-ies:
Can it be the simple truth that a new generation VHS VCR is simply better than the old high-end S-VHS? In order to let you compare the PQ of my Blaupunkt with yours I uploaded my short capture test files (5 sec. mp4). The capture was done through Sony TRV33 miniDV to WinDV. I don't want to discuss the need for external TBC and capturing to lossless avi.
Your help would be priceless to me because otherwise my Blaupunkt will stay redundant.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 Blaup RTV-950_Sony TRV33_Colors_TBC Off.mp4 (2.61 MB, 23 downloads)
File Type: mp4 LG LV880_Sony TRV33_Colors.mp4 (2.74 MB, 15 downloads)
File Type: mp4 Blaup RTV-950_Sony TRV33_Table 1_TBC On.mp4 (2.61 MB, 13 downloads)
File Type: mp4 LG LV880_Sony TRV33_Table 1.mp4 (2.63 MB, 9 downloads)
File Type: mp4 Blaupunkt_S-VHS_S-Video Input.mp4 (2.16 MB, 13 downloads)

Blaupunkt RTV-950, LG LV-880 HiFi, Sony miniDV ..., Canopus ADVC 55, WinDV,
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-24-2017, 10:03 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Do you have any plans for capturing material that isn't test patterns?

The Blaupunkt has problems and equires major servicing. I think that should be obvious. The other test captures are soft, smeared and bluirry, which should also be obvious, as well as their illegal video levels.

Is lossy h264 your capture choice, or is the lossy encoding strictly for demo purposes here?

Last edited by sanlyn; 03-24-2017 at 10:14 PM.
03-25-2017, 04:57 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Do you have any plans for capturing material that isn't test patterns?

The Blaupunkt has problems and equires major servicing. I think that should be obvious. The other test captures are soft, smeared and bluirry, which should also be obvious, as well as their illegal video levels.

Is lossy h264 your capture choice, or is the lossy encoding strictly for demo purposes here?
I do a comparison not only with test patterns, but with every cassette I have for capture. And I always prefer either LG LV880 or Sony SE-630. You are right about the PQ of my other machines, but they are all more or less equal. I know it's my taste but I like the soft and rich in colours picture more than detailed, noisy, distorted lines and a bit pale picture of Blaupunkt.
And yes, h264 is only for demo purpose. I capture to SD .avi 720x576 25fps (miniDV output).
I am in doubt that I can find any more highly qualified technicians here in Riga...
I will upload the same test captures from my other VHS VCRs.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 Sony SE-630_Sony TRV33_Colours.mp4 (2.68 MB, 4 downloads)
File Type: mp4 Sony SE-630_Sony TRV33_Table 1.mp4 (2.67 MB, 2 downloads)
File Type: mp4 LG BL162W_Sony TRV33_Colours.mp4 (2.66 MB, 8 downloads)
03-25-2017, 08:14 PM
Free Member

Hello
A lot going on in your test. correct me if wrong. SVHS test tape made of color bars and crosshatch using DV camera SVID output into LG SVHS vcr. That tape is played in 4 SVHS vcrs and captured as DV using same camera then converted to Mp4 and compared.

The Blaupunkt is the worst of the 4 vcrs when compared.

Then a similar test tape made this time using the Blaupunkt. That tape is captured by the same method as before giving an even worse result.

It appears poor performance on the Blaupunkt, compounded when recorded on the Blaupunkt and played back on the Blaupunkt.

I would have evaluated the Blaupunktit differently but its 6 of one half a dozen of another. Yes at least for recording appears not good (why would you be recording) can it be used as a playback vcr as is not sure.
03-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Free Member

OK, sometimes one can make simple things complicated- it's me. Will try to explain my test procedure.
1. I made test patterns myself on my PC using Printscreen snapshots from a Monitortester programm. I opened these jpgs in Sony Vegas to output on External Monitor by 1394 to Sony TRV33 miniDV Digital IN as PAL 720x576 25fps. I recorded from S-Video out to Blaupunkt as VHS on a new S-VHS tape. Recorded from AV Composite Out to LG LV880 on another S-VHS tape. Now I had what I think 2 reliable VHS test tapes- one made on Blaupunkt and the other on LG. The passthrough PQ from both VCRs during recording was excelent. I will upload the jpgs.
2. Then I did the Playback capture test playing the tapes on the same VCR as recorded and vice versa for double check. There was not much difference in recording quality. As I told I made the capture tests from my all 4 VCRs.
The signal path was: Blaupunkt > S-Video Out >Sony TRV33 Passthrough> 1394 >WinDV SD .avi
Other VCRs > Composite Out > Sony TRV33 Passthrough >WindDV SD .avi
3. I rendered my all avi captures in Sony Vegas to short mp4 files 720x5726 4MBs 25 fps

What puzzles me about these test captures is that some people tell me that I would not expect an old generation S-VHS to be better than a new generation VHS. But that is the opposite I have read in so many forums. Most of the Panasonic FS200 owners are delighted about the PQ. And even more about the NF filter and TBC capabilities. In my case they did not help so much, only slightly. I am not going to use my VCRs for recording, only for captures. The recording was done only for making the test tapes.
That's it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monitester-1_PSE_4_3.jpg (70.1 KB, 7 downloads)
File Type: jpg Tabula- Kraasu kolonnas_4_3.jpg (18.8 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: jpg Tabula- TV_2.jpg (66.4 KB, 6 downloads)

Blaupunkt RTV-950, LG LV-880 HiFi, Sony miniDV ..., Canopus ADVC 55, WinDV,
03-26-2017, 10:08 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris 55 View Post

What puzzles me about these test captures is that some people tell me that I would not expect an old generation S-VHS to be better than a new generation VHS. But that is the opposite I have read in so many forums. Most of the Panasonic FS200 owners are delighted about the PQ.
Thats what I thought. Then I got a JVC HR-S2901U SVHS (circa 2003 I think) and it does produce a better capture. Albeit it does not have internal TBC. I also am doing recap for a Panasonic AG-1980 which looks a lot like your Blaupunkt. It was built aroung 2000. Mine has the classic dark picture and messed up color of these older Panasonic machines. I will try to do a quick capture of the symptoms before it goes under the knife.

The LG LV880 is new? As far as I know they dont sell new vcr around where I live. It is possible the Blaupunkt RTW-950 is the better machine and needs repair still.

What about just playing the tapes on various vcr(s), capturing the material you intend to digitize and see which one gives you the best result.

If the Blaupunkt RTW-950 doesnt work for you and you cant get it fixed it may still have value in the market.
03-27-2017, 12:58 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bever View Post
The LG LV880 is new? As far as I know they dont sell new vcr around where I live. It is possible the Blaupunkt RTW-950 is the better machine and needs repair still.

What about just playing the tapes on various vcr(s), capturing the material you intend to digitize and see which one gives you the best result.

If the Blaupunkt RTW-950 doesnt work for you and you cant get it fixed it may still have value in the market.
The LG LV880 is like new. I bought it some 6 years ago and it was imported from UK. Blaupunkt definetely is one of the best machines around but I need to find a very skilled video engineer to repair it. It would be very expensive to send it abroad for repairs. Similar VCR in a very good condition sells for about € 300 in Ebay.de
I do a test capture on all machines to pick the best one for particular tape.

Thanks!