Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-25-2017, 07:04 AM
Free Member

Hi!

So my plan is to capture PAL VHS via Virtualdub in lossless AVI, to then be filtered through AVISynth etc. I already got some great advice on upgrading my hardware here:

Hardware setup question

Now I've gotten my hands on the Diamond VC500 USB device and spent a few hours trying to get it to work on my Windows 7 computer.

So far I've just tested it with my N64 console with Composite, will test my SVHS player with S-video later, once I've received my eBay order of an ES15 dvd player as a TBC pass-through.

What works:

* Windows recognizes the device and managed to install the latest drivers from the Diamond website
* EZ Grabber is installed
* I get a video and audio signal from the device
* I can capture a lossless Lagarith AVI file via AMCap (or EZ Grabber)
* Virtualdub can select the device and I can adjust all applicable settings

What doesn't work:

* THE PREVIEW IN VIRTUALDUB IS BLACK AND IT WILL NOT CAPTURE ANY VIDEO. It just says "Unable to start video capture". It makes no difference if I change the PAL standards.
* Also, there seem to be problems with the audio/video sync in the files I captured with AMCap. Hopefully, this could be prevented in Virtualdub, if I can get that to work.

I followed this guide for Capturing with Virtualdub and used the settings there, but it won't work.

Have I missed something, when it comes to syncing up Virtualdub and the VC500? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bobban; 03-25-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-25-2017, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobban View Post
* Windows recognizes the device and managed to install the latest drivers from the Diamond website
Did you allow the windows hardware wizard to search the internet and proceed with the install? The installation guide for this product explicitly states that the Wizard should not be used. See page 4 of he attached pdf product guide.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Final VC500CXT_Manual 11 20 13-1.pdf (953.7 KB, 33 downloads)
03-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Did you allow the windows hardware wizard to search the internet and proceed with the install? The installation guide for this product explicitly states that the Wizard should not be used. See page 4 of he attached pdf product guide.
I read that and tried to stop WIndows as it automatically started to install drivers. I then manually installed the drivers from Diamond. I attached an image of what the computer says about the VC500 now (sorry, it's in Swedish).

Should I try to uninstall everything and reinstall the drivers?

The weird thing is that it works in EZ Grabber and AMCap, but just not in Virtualdub...

-- merged --

Update: I found another thread where someone solved it by installing old drivers from 2015. I tried it and it worked!

New question though: The audio levels of the clip are way too loud, causing some clipping in the sound. I can't seem to find where to lower the levels, have looked around in Virtualdub and EZ Grabber to no avail...

Changing the levels through Windows Mixer in Virtualdub does nothing. In fact, the levels of the chosen audio device do not move at all and there's no difference, even if I lower them to 0. I am required to use "0 Capture device" as the audio source, otherwise nothing works.

Attached Images
File Type: png Info.png (38.9 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: png Audio.png (60.8 KB, 10 downloads)
03-25-2017, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

GHood work solving the driver issue. I used drivers that came with my VC500 CD. I don't know the version but the CD is dated 2011.

That's an unusual problem with audio. There is an "Audio input" and an "audio source" dialog, both of which have to be correctly set for the Windows mixer to work. The actual source is the VC500, but the mixer might want to see something else. The mixer source varies with sound cards. With my VC500 plugged in, the Audio source in the Audio menu is Conexant Polaris Audio capture. "Audio input' is grayed out and "Audio source" is "audio line". The mixer has a "line volume" adjustment but frankly I've never used it with the VC500 and it isn't even turned on anyway. The only active volume adjustment I see is the Windows speaker volume icon in the taskbar. My sound card on both VC500 machines is a Sound Blaster Audigy. I've never had to adjust capture volume in 14 years of capturing except to have speaker volume set to about 75%. So I have to scratch my head over that one. I looked for a VC500 registry entry that might have some effect, but couldn't find one. You can try setting the "Audio" top menu to "0 capture device" to see if anything changes.

Last edited by sanlyn; 03-25-2017 at 02:49 PM.
03-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Free Member

Quote:
GHood work solving the driver issue. I used drivers that came with my VC500 CD. I don't know the version.

That's an unusual problem with audio. There is an "Audio input" and an "audio source" dialog, both of which have to be correctly set for the Windows mixer to work. The actual source is the VC500, but the mixer might want to see something else. The mixer source list varies with sound cards.
Thanks!

I know, it's weird... Like I said I have to choose the "0" source as per the guide that you wrote (which is awesome, by the way), otherwise the capture won't work at all. But it doesn't seem to link to any of the devices in the mixer list... With my old Pinnacle device there was an audio level control along with the other options (i.e. saturation, brightness...) that could be controlled via AMCap and Studio. But nothing here?
03-25-2017, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

This is the first time I've ever seen the issue posted, anywhere. EZgrabber itself has no volume control. Perhaps the speaker volume icon in the lower corner might have an effect (I don't see why, though).

It's possible that the captured audio can be calmed later in VirtualDub. It's also possible that the VC500, which does its own audio processing, has a volume limiter of some type built-in. Of all the devices I've ever used, whether audio or video, I've encountered some loud home-made tapes but none that had output so high that it clipped during capture. That recorded video would have to be unusually loud to do so and, I suspect, would be clipped on VHS during recording anyway.

There are many VC500 users who pass thru this forum. Likely, someone has a better answer.
03-25-2017, 09:11 PM
Free Member

The AC97VolumeLN registry trick may work with this device to lower the audio volume. Not able to play around with it at the moment, myself. You should make a backup of the registry entry for your device before messing with it.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post29512
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...=1#post2435063
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: sanlyn (03-25-2017)
03-26-2017, 09:05 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
The AC97VolumeLN registry trick may work with this device to lower the audio volume. Not able to play around with it at the moment, myself. You should make a backup of the registry entry for your device before messing with it.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post29512
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...=1#post2435063
Thanks for the reply! I found the .inf file of the VC500 USB device and also the script line that seems to control audio. From what I understand, I need to change a value to decrease gain and that value needs to be written in 2's complement.

From what I can see the default line says 0x17 (when converted back from 2's compliment) and then 0x1 followed by multiple 0x00. But which one is to be changed, and into what? And how could the decrease differ from 9 to F? I'm confused...

Code:
;Gain has 7 levels in volume up and down directions. each level gives 6db gain or attenuation
;for attenuation we need to use 2's complement values. 
;for Gain we use levels 1-7, for attenuation we use levels 0x9(-7) - 0xF (-1)
HKR,"DriverData","FMAudioGain",0x00010001, 0x1, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
03-26-2017, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

I find that FMAudioGain value slot in these two keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0019\DriverData
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0019\DriverData

Found by running regedit and searching for the key "FMAudioGain". The first search finds the first key entry, and clicking F3 ("find again") finds the second entry. After finding that in regedit, right-click on "FMAudioGain" for a popup menu, and choose "Modify". You will see that the current value is "1" and the value scale is hexadecimal.

For attenuation the source code stated to use 0x9(-7) to 0xF(-1). Now, that's a pip because the ATI600 attenuation numbers were similar backwards (higher values for more attenuation, meaning less volume) and the scale for lowering the volume seems to be in minus decibels. If you leave the value scale at "Hexadecimal" you must enter a hex number, if decimal you must enter a negative decimal number for attenuation.

Now I'm sitting here without the VC500 loaded, no VCR set up and no tape to load anyway for a couple of days, as all of that gear is in storage.

msgohan and others are pretty handy with registry stuff, so hopefully they can offer a little guidance....
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: Bobban (03-29-2017)
03-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Free Member

[EDIT: sanlyn replied while I was typing.]

Changing the line directly in that driver file would require editing the INF and reinstalling while allowing unsigned drivers (because you've now modified the driver file).

That FMAudioGain value is present in the registry after installing the driver. Just find the relevant key for your VC500 under the weird GUID string using the step-by-step instructions I posted a little further down in that VH thread. Then go to the DriverData subkey and play with the FMAudioGain value. Its default value is 0x1. Keep it in hexadecimal mode and ignore the fact that it's hinting you the positive decimals instead of the negative decimals noted below.

Quote:
From what I can see the default line says 0x17 (when converted back from 2's compliment) and then 0x1 followed by multiple 0x00. But which one is to be changed, and into what?

Code:
;Gain has 7 levels in volume up and down directions. each level gives 6db gain or attenuation
;for attenuation we need to use 2's complement values. 
;for Gain we use levels 1-7, for attenuation we use levels 0x9(-7) - 0xF (-1)
HKR,"DriverData","FMAudioGain",0x00010001, 0x1, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
MSDN article on the structure of AddReg in INF files. It's not worth reading though. The 0x00010001 number that you assumed to be the value is actually just the instruction that tells it to use a DWORD rather than a different value type.

Quote:
And how could the decrease differ from 9 to F? I'm confused...
Not sure I understand this question. It's saying that:
Code:
0x9 = -7
0xA = -6
0xB = -5
0xC = -4
0xD = -3
0xE = -2
0xF = -1
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: Bobban (03-29-2017)
03-26-2017, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

The problem I was having is that if you use the registry edit's Modify menu, you can input ipositive values only, no negative numbers. So my assumption is that the entry can't be edited by just dialing to it and clicking "modify." The entry needs an additional "value" key. But what would be the name of that value key? Default? Value? You need a place to put the value number, whether it's hex or decimal. For negatives, you need a signed number string with a '1' in the most significant bit, if I recall. So how would that fit in the "Modify" menu for that FMAudioGain entry?

Last edited by sanlyn; 03-26-2017 at 05:48 PM.
03-26-2017, 07:28 PM
Free Member

^ Re-read.

Quote:
go to the DriverData subkey and play with the FMAudioGain value. Its default value is 0x1. Keep it in hexadecimal mode and ignore the fact that it's hinting you the positive decimals instead of the negative decimals noted below.
For negative numbers you just have to use one of the 7 hex numbers that the INF indicates that it treats as negative, and ignore how Regedit itself interprets the hex.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: sanlyn (03-26-2017)
03-26-2017, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

but the strings "0x9" thru "0x1" can't be entered. The hexadecimal values A thru F can be entered, however. But I don't see how that translates to a scale of minus 7 to minus 1 (hex A thru F can have only 6 values).

I know that's rather basic, but I haven't had a computer processing course since 1978. I don't think anybody's heard of PL/1.
03-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the clarification, guys! I'll try to see if I have them in the same place as you, Sanlyn. Then I'll try your trick, msgohan!

Last edited by Bobban; 03-27-2017 at 02:39 PM.
03-27-2017, 03:31 PM
Free Member

Quote:
but the strings "0x9" thru "0x1" can't be entered.
You mean that literal text, including the 0x? 0x is merely notation used to signify that the number given is hexadecimal. It should be omitted. And whether you type the digits 1 through 9 with the "decimal" radio box ticked or the "hexadecimal" one, the result is the same, since 0-9 are the same in base 10 and base 16.

Quote:
The hexadecimal values A thru F can be entered, however. But I don't see how that translates to a scale of minus 7 to minus 1 (hex A thru F can have only 6 values).
It's a scale of -6 to -1. Adding 0x9 gets you -7, per the little table I typed up.

Quote:
I'll try to see if I have them in the same place as you, Sanlyn.
The GUID (ugly number in squigly brackets) will be the same, but the exact device # will differ with each person's OS install. It just increments as you install each "sound/video/game" device on your system.

And I like to alter CurrentControlSet rather than interacting with ControlSet001 or 002 directly.
03-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

OK, it's a little more clear. But there isn't a "hexadecimal" tick box. There's "decimal" and "binary", with binary accepting only strings of digits 0 and 1. So in the decimal input panel one could enter "9" thru "F". I'd enter "D" for a starter (-6).

Since there is no entry in CurrentControlSet I'd be averse to going there and entering new keys. If the "inf" file's data value is in ControlSet001, I'd enter the value there. I always thought that if you entered something in ControlSet001 it was echoed in ControlSet002, but I haven't fooled around with the registry in a looooooong time.
03-27-2017, 04:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
But there isn't a "hexadecimal" tick box. There's "decimal" and "binary", with binary accepting only strings of digits 0 and 1.
Well that's weird. Win7 vs XP?

VC500 FMAudioGain regedit Win7 x64.PNG

Quote:
So in the decimal input panel one could enter "9" thru "F". I'd enter "D" for a starter (-6).
D would be -3, by inference from the INF. A should be -6.

Quote:
Since there is no entry in CurrentControlSet I'd be averse to going there and entering new keys.
Refer to screenshot. I didn't think it was possible for the value to be present in 001 & 002 without being present in Current.

Quote:
I always thought that if you entered something in ControlSet001 it was echoed in ControlSet002, but I haven't fooled around with the registry in a looooooong time.
Yeah, I don't recall how that works.

03-27-2017, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn
But there isn't a "hexadecimal" tick box. There's "decimal" and "binary", with binary accepting only strings of digits 0 and 1.
Well that's weird. Win7 vs XP?Well that's weird. Win7 vs XP?
It's XP, but you're right. The right-click menu for editing the value has the "binary" choice. The resiulting "value" window that you show has hex and decimal. Glad you prompted me on that.
03-28-2017, 10:14 AM
Free Member

Well, I'm pretty sure I was able to find them. In Current Control Set there are two subkeys that shows my current driver version (6.0.113.0), one for video capture (0031)...

...and one for audio capture (0032).

The FMAudioGain is only present in Video Capture though. Tried changing the values with all different variables, but to no effect... It accepts "D" for example, chaning the Data value to 13 as seen in the last screenshot. But the audio levels in Virtualdub are still through the roof. Restarted Virtualdub between each attempt. Do I have to restart the regeditor, the whole computer or "save" the new value in some other way I haven't?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reg.jpg (71.8 KB, 194 downloads)
File Type: jpg Reg2.jpg (65.1 KB, 192 downloads)
File Type: jpg Reg3.jpg (104.4 KB, 192 downloads)
03-28-2017, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

Does that audio problem occur only with one tape ?

Is CurrentControlSet the only area in which FMAudioGain appears? It's in ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 on my XP and Win7 PC's.

You could also try hex "A" (decimal 10) which is -6db down instead of -3db.

Last edited by sanlyn; 03-28-2017 at 11:10 AM.