Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-14-2018, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum.
I have many VHS and VHS-C tapes of family souvenir recorded with videocamera. I want to make digital copy before tapes are no longer usable.
When i capture with Virtualdub, video looks ok, no dropped frames, but the audio start recording 70 to 150 frames after the video is started. As far as i know, the audio associated with frames is not present and when audio is visible ( on graph) it seems to be in sync with video.
Any clue to solve this issue?

My setup:
JVC-s3500U=> Pana ES15 => Diamond VC500 => Athlon3500 windows 7.

I Have a I7 6700K windows 10 and i had problems installing VC500 drivers. When capturing with virtualdub, i had frames which seemed to be 2 superposed frames ( not interlace problem) and audio sync. The audio was stretched or compressed to fit the video!
So with these problems i turned to use my old computer.
Any suggestion to solve the missing audio is welcome.
Regards
Jacques
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
This is common among capture setups. Start recording several seconds before playing the tape. 150 frames is just 5 seconds, and while longer than most (2-3 seconds), it's not unreasonable. I'd only complain if it went out 10 seconds.

This is similar to the analog days, where you were supposed to start recording tape (lead-in) before you wanted to start recording.

I have a system that gives quick audio "pop" when the capture starts, but you never hear it on my captures because that was discarded before the final file (scrubbed, proofed) was created. Captures are rough, and should always be scrubbed/proofed, then re-output as Direct Stream Copy (assuming AVI using VirtualDub). Anything bad before/after, even during, is simply cut and discarded, leaving you with the good capture file for archive/processing.

You Win10 could be many things, and is likely multiple issues at once. Unlikely it's a single problem. For starters, you can't capture on a system running anti-virus/malware, internet notifications, and other digital "noise" to distract the system from the complex task of capturing. And if Win10 is good at anything, it's noise.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the answer. It makes sense.
As you stated, when windows write a bunch of data on the hard disk, i see the line on the timing graph that deviate from a straight line. Wich i associate to "digital noise".
I will try to build a Capture PC based on windows XP and a ATI aiw AGP card.
I know i have to find a better VCR and probably a TBC wich are becoming rare these days.
Thanks a lot for your valuable informations.
Jacques