Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-27-2018, 11:29 PM
Free Member

This only happens near the middle of the tape. The tape is 5.5 hours long. So far I have tried my JVC Hr-S7900U with a Panasonic ES10 and a AVT 8710 feeding into a Matrox Mx02. Nothing fixes this for me even the Panasonic AG1980 does not help but seems to make it worse(the lines moves across the whole tape instead of just at the top). This only happens on a few tapes.

I am contemplating just cropping the top in Premiere Pro and maybe zooming in...

Thank you for your help.

Attached Files
File Type: mpg What is going on.mpg (18.27 MB, 26 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
It's too bad you're limited to Premiere Pro when trying to work with restoration and repair. Zooming (i.e., resizing or upscaling) with PP is rather mediocre, and playback of slow-speed tapes with the JVC is pretty soft to begin with (the AG-1980 plays slow tape with much sharper images than the JVC). BTW the noise at the top isn't horizontal "jitter". The noise and distortion at the top is called "dropout". The video does have a lot of vertical frame hopping and some field displacement as well, due to the tracking problem with damaged tape.

At any rate, if you view your sample video one frame at a time you would find that the damage affects the entire frame in one way or another. It's not limited to horizontal dropout. The attached mp4 has 48 pixels cropped off across the top and is encoded at 10 frames per second so that you can see what's happening in other parts of the frame.

If you are capturing directly to mpg please note that mpeg is a lossy final delivery format and is not designed for edits or modification without serious damage. If you plan to do any restoration, repair, or color correction you should not be capturing to lossy codecs. The re-encoded results will look worse than the original input. The reason I didn't attempt any further repair work or "zooming" with your sample is that it has already lost data through lossy encoding.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 MpgSample_10fps.mp4 (13.55 MB, 11 downloads)
11-28-2018, 12:09 PM
Free Member

Thank you for your response. Would I be better off swapping shells? Here is a sample recorded from my Panasonic AG5710>Es10>AVT 8710 was recorded uncompressed.

Attached Files
File Type: mpg was uncomprerssed.mpg (7.57 MB, 7 downloads)
11-28-2018, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

That video dropout across the middle can't be repaired. There is no intermittent or otherwise "clean" data that can be used to interpolate new data for new frames.

Don't capture analog VHS as uncompressed. It eats up too much CPU. it's more efficient to capture as YUY2 with lossless huffyuv compression than to capture as uncompressed. Also, why are you upscaling SD source to HD? It identitfies the video as having been made by a newcomer who doesn't understand how artificial it looks to upscale SD source to HD frame sizes. High definition is based on high source resolution, not on big frame sizes. Your sample is blurred with indistinct detail because of the poor upscaling. Your TV or media player can do a much cleaner job of it. The deinterlace interpolations look very soft, and by discarding frames you threw away 50% of your original temporal resolution. You should also be aware that 1920x1080 at 29.97fps progressive cannot be used for BluRay.

But they're your videos, do what you want.
11-28-2018, 02:01 PM
Free Member

I never upscale to HD. Must have been a setting error.
11-28-2018, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

That was some error! Capture from standard def tape would normally be 720x480 in YUY2 color with PCM audio. What you posted was a high definition 1920x1080 .ts program stream with embedded black-pillars, encoded in YV12 color with a 16:9 DAR and an h.264 encoder, and obsolete mp2 audio. That's encoding designed for HD BluRay (but Mp2 audio and 25p at 1920x1080 isn't valid for Bluray, not in Europe and not in any other country).

[EDIT] That looks like tape recorded with bad alignment in the original recorder, then further damaged by being played or stored in abusive conditions. It's not something that can be fixed.

Last edited by sanlyn; 11-28-2018 at 04:50 PM.