Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Unconfirmed User

I'm a bit confused by how the bypass switch functions. Pressing it quickly seems to have no effect that I can see, while holding it in a few seconds seems to work. However, pressing it again either quickly or holding it in again a few seconds seems to not return the unit to its previous configuration if any of the color/contrast/bright/tint settings were changed. So is the bypass switch really more of a reset switch? If it isn't, is there a way to reset all the settings back to neutral?

Thanks,
Erich
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-13-2018, 02:35 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Bypass doesn't bypass anything that I've ever noticed.

"Bypass" is actually a reset. Hold it for about 3 seconds to reset the current proc amp settings, then tap it several more times to reset each of the other proc amp settings. On the 4000, you manually change channels and repeat this.

The VP301 boards inside the TBC-3000/4000 were always fidgety, and it doesn't help that DataVideo gives zero documentation. As I understood it, from past conversations with DataVideo, the gear came with hands-on instructions when deployed in a facility. That's why DataVideo docs are pathetic pamphlets, and about as useful as used toilet paper. Nothing about it is actually documented, especially the internal switches. I had to learn what everything did by trial, and hoping not to break anything in the process.

I learned long ago to use it
- as a TBC-1000, in/out per channel
- proc amp if needed
- reset proc amp when done, using above method

If you don't screw around with it beyond that, it'll be the more stable TBC that I've ever used.

Though it still eats PSUs like candy. All DataVideo do. This time of year is the worst, something about the cold coils in the AC adapter just cannot cope. It's why I have backups on hand, just in case.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-13-2018, 03:20 PM
Unconfirmed User

Yes, the manual is just about useless, that's why I started trying things. The lights are pretty much useless too since it takes multiple button presses between lights, so you have to count forward and backward between them and remember what you did when next adjusting them. I was considering using something like Scopebox to see what's actually going to the capture device and what the settings are actually doing.

Erich