01-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Free Member

Hello guys!

I don't have a VHS st: plugin but I can't find it because I don't know what it is. I'll link this to the picture you see what I mean. I already have all the other plugins. Could you give me a link to that plugin?

Thanks for your help!

Picture of plugin missing from me:

2019-01-27 14_24_48-plugin.jpg

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-27-2019, 01:33 PM
Free Member

Wow.. there are much better experts on VirtualDub here.. but I could suggest, try using the x32 bit version of VirtualDub.

I've seen a lot of people suggest going back to using the x32 version for capture because it has a larger number of available plugins and wider support for older formats than the x64 version.

The x64 version is the newest thing on the block, and they are trying to port over many of the popular plugins.. but simply because of the shear number of plugins and people who wrote them and can no longer be contacted, the task of converting them all over to x64 plugins will never be complete.

The x32 version of VirtualDub works on an x64 operating system, and the larger memory space that a native x64 application brings you is not really of any benefit to capture.. so you have nothing to loose by trying.
01-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Free Member

I have a 32 bit Windows xp where I am using. Capture videos and edit them, and fix them with a virtualisation in addition to hijacking. That's why I also need that plugin I haven't found yet. Of course, my virtualdub is also 32bit.
01-27-2019, 02:02 PM
Free Member

your right.

i forgot you were on XP and there are only 32 bit drivers available for the ATI USB 2.0N

that automatically limited you to a 32 bit workflow, all very good, it eliminated potential problems

.. I don't know plugins for VirtualDub well.. so I have no suggestions, someone else may be able to help
01-27-2019, 02:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Why are you trying to use that plugin?
What site is the screenshot from?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-27-2019, 02:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Why are you trying to use that plugin?
What site is the screenshot from?
That's why I need it. My friend found this good guide for me to get the perfect result from my videos! In i am order to do this editing and correction for my videos I need that plugin.

Here's a guide that also includes a screenshot: https://www.engon.de/audio/vhs4_en.h...kYrZxgrnaUNdKM
01-27-2019, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
How did you manage to try loading it if you don't know what it is and you can't find it?
That filter chain is on the verge of wrecking your video.

You want the FlaXen FxVHS plugin:

Attached Files
File Type: zip fxvhs.zip (25.8 KB, 52 downloads)
01-27-2019, 02:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

That's guide has some issues.

- Never deinterlace for no reason, and only QTGMC in Avisynth is quality.
- Several of the "after" clips added new issues with chroma, brightness, or over-saturation.
- MSU's stuff has never been that great, usually causes more problems than it fixes.

If you want serious restoration, start with Avisynth first in the software workflow. The guide is trying to do too much in VirtualDub, or even in a single pass.

Don't monkey-see/monkey-do a guide. All videos are different, all need thought for how to process. And that's what the forum is for. Read, attach samples to posts, ask questions, get advice.

01-27-2019, 02:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
How did you manage to try loading it if you don't know what it is and you can't find it?
That filter chain is on the verge of wrecking your video.

You want the FlaXen FxVHS plugin:
I haven't tried anything yet. Of course, plugins must be ready when something is done. Virtualdub is still a guest program for me. I'm not like capturing a single video.
01-27-2019, 02:51 PM
Free Member

Mazufa

I see where you got that screenshot from now, it came from the guide your referring too.

Listen to what Lordsmurf and Sanlyn advise, they have a lot of experience and are especially good at making suggestions to people new to processing videos. They do not try to overload you with information.

That guide overloads one with too much information at one time.

You need some experience before adding too much to the plugin chain. And that guide is rather too much too fast to learn from, its a specific work flow for that authors specific purpose. It probably will not process your video well.
01-27-2019, 02:58 PM
Free Member

I have a video from my home village in 1991. I would like to make the video as good as possible as easily as possible. Any means which succeed from me because I am a beginner in terms of VirtualDub. That village video is an important and also an important video and I want it to be of the highest quality. It would be great if there was someone plugin that would do the instant hijacking phase of the video of high quality.

Lordsmurf Did you mean avisynt?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXhL...=ThomasMessmer

This looks like a good editing I could do with this video, and maybe it may be enough.
01-27-2019, 03:54 PM
Free Member

Your best comments will come from capturing a short clip, ten seconds or so, and then attaching a link where other people can download and view it.

Then people may have specific constructive advice to make it better.
01-27-2019, 03:58 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
Your best comments will come from capturing a short clip, ten seconds or so, and then attaching a link where other people can download and view it.

Then people may have specific constructive advice to make it better.
What do you mean? I know a little bit of English. I try my best to talk to each other. Fortunately, I learned English.
01-27-2019, 04:29 PM
Free Member

capture a short clip of the video, upload that to google drive, share a link to it

people can download it

people can provide better advice
The following users thank jwillis84 for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-27-2019)
01-27-2019, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazufa View Post
I have a video from my home village in 1991. I would like to make the video as good as possible as easily as possible. Any means which succeed from me because I am a beginner in terms of VirtualDub. That village video is an important and also an important video and I want it to be of the highest quality. It would be great if there was someone plugin that would do the instant hijacking phase of the video of high quality.

Lordsmurf Did you mean avisynt?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXhL...=ThomasMessmer

This looks like a good editing I could do with this video, and maybe it may be enough.
That YouTube video is useful only in a very general way. Every video is different. While many problems are common to most home videos, every video also has differences and requires different filters and different processing.

Without a sample of the video you are working with, no one can advise you about what you should do. If you don't know how to make a short sample and post it to the forum, tell us some details about the video you're working with. What is its format? How was the video created? Someone would then be able to advise you in more detail. Meanwhile I must advise that the VirtualDub filter method shown in the image you posted earlier would not be a good idea for any video, especially if you are looking for "highest quality".
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-27-2019)
01-27-2019, 10:44 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazufa View Post
I know a little bit of English. I try my best to talk to each other.
You're doing just fine.

I muddle through foreign languages myself, though usually with heavy help from Google Translate for most of them. I know several in a basic way, though I forget more words/grammar/etc as I get older, lack of use.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Mazufa (01-27-2019)
01-28-2019, 07:12 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
You're doing just fine.

I muddle through foreign languages myself, though usually with heavy help from Google Translate for most of them. I know several in a basic way, though I forget more words/grammar/etc as I get older, lack of use.
You should start learning Finnish langiage Many say it's a difficult language to learn. I am Finnish, and it is my mother tongue which I speak every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
That YouTube video is useful only in a very general way. Every video is different. While many problems are common to most home videos, every video also has differences and requires different filters and different processing.

Without a sample of the video you are working with, no one can advise you about what you should do. If you don't know how to make a short sample and post it to the forum, tell us some details about the video you're working with. What is its format? How was the video created? Someone would then be able to advise you in more detail. Meanwhile I must advise that the VirtualDub filter method shown in the image you posted earlier would not be a good idea for any video, especially if you are looking for "highest quality".
I can make a short video clip of this video on a virtualdub so you can advise me better.
Is there any site that tells you about virtualdub filters what they are and what they can do with them? That's how I learn to know better about them.

-- merged --

Here is a video clip Haapajärvenkylä video I work with. The video has been captured with VirtualDub with ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0N capture device. Your computer has Windows XP Professional 32bit. This video is AVI format, and I have used as an encoder x264vfw. I want this video to be of the highest quality.

The same google drive folder also contains other image important information about the settings I used to hijack. The video is in PAL-B format and has a size of 720x576

This is my google drive link to a video: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...6f?usp=sharing
01-29-2019, 02:56 AM
Premium Member

We appreciate your effort of posting a 15-minute h.264 sample offline, but you cannot get highest quality by capturing to h.264. In fact, h.264 captures from analog tape are very poor quality, and your capture looks worse by using a low bitrate. Lossy codecs such as h.264 and MPEG are not designed for editing or repair. They are final delivery formats that can't be modified without creating serious damage, and each time they are changed or processed, the damage will get worse.

To capture old and damaged video tapes you will need an external frame-level tbc. Your video sample shows serious frame timing errors, mistracking distortion, false copy protection errors, and bad color problems. The frame timing problems can't be repaired after capture. Capture with VirtualDub to a 720x576 frame using YUY2 color and lossless compression such as huffYUV or Lagarith. Do not use compressors such as Magic, which is designed for digital and high definition sources and is very inefficient for VHS captures. In order to work with poor or damaged video you will need to learn to work with both VirtualDub and Avisynth. VirtualDub alone will not give you the quality you're looking for. Learning to restore poor quality tapes will require patience. To begin, the filters shown in your original image of a VirtuaLDub filter setup will not do anything for your sample video. They will make it look worse.

You can edit lossless captures and create short video samples in VirtualDub and post directly to this forum. A short 8 to 10 seconds of YUY2 video compressed with Lagarith or Huffyuv will fit within the 99mb file size limit for posting to this forum. After you have edited your short 8 to 10 seconds of lossless video in VirtualDub, click "File..." -> "Video..." -> "direct stream copy", and then save the video. You can post directly to digitalfaq. Video and images posted offline will eventually disappear from offline sites, making the samples useless. How To Upload Images And Attachments.

Please let us know which VCR and capture device was used to make your posted sample.
01-29-2019, 03:05 AM
Site Staff | Video

I think he's capturing to lossless, exporting from VirtualDub via x264vfw just for the sample needs.

I've not looked at the sample yet, wrong computer, but I had already guessed there may be timing errors (from lack of TBC). The AIW USB is the capture card, so the unknown is the VCR. I doubt he has a middle TBC of any kind, meaning that at least an ES15 is probably in order here.

@Mazufa: confirm this.

01-29-2019, 03:16 AM
Premium Member

The images posted on the offline site show that he is apparently capturing to h.264 using VirtualDub. The posted images are 3968x2976 jpg. Below is a resize of one of them:

The download is a 15-minute h.264 low-bitrate video (436MB) and three 4K jpg captures of VDub capture dialog windows, which are zipped onsite and then downloaded. This takes about 20 minutes. Fortunately the owner seems to have huffyuv correctly installed, so a short lossless YUY2 capture should be possible.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190128_151407R.jpg (83.8 KB, 110 downloads)

Last edited by sanlyn; 01-29-2019 at 03:27 AM.