Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-23-2019, 12:52 PM
Free Member

Hey all, I'm brand new to the forum and I'm sorry if there are answers to this already. If so please direct me to the proper thread for that!

I've been trying to preserve my old tapes recently, but have been having trouble. I've always had some shoddy gear to work with. However, now I've got a better component to digital capture device. I want to convert my old Winnie the Pooh tapes to digital since Disney never released the full series on DVD. This is a show I loved as a kid, and would want to preserve my childhood as the tapes get older since some are close to 30 years old!

I have been trying to use OBS as the capture software, but I don't have a good idea of what to make my settings as. I need some help on that, or maybe just even a better software to use. Also the tapes have some age to them and have weird coloring at the top of the image at certain times. I don't think this is the player since it isn't on all tapes. Is there anything I can do in post to lessen that effect, or to better correct the colors which are obviously off from their more original color?

Thanks for all notes and help you can give! I can provide more info or examples if needed.

Last edited by DestinoVHSrips; 05-23-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-24-2019, 06:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Which Winnie the Pooh is that?

I'd definitely be interested in making sure that's capture in the best possible quality.

OBS is streaming software, lousy for trying to capture analog tapes. Wrong tool for the task. You need VirtualDub.

The VCR and capture cards also matters, as does presence of TBC.

I need full rundown on what you're using.
If you need to upgrade anything, I need to know what budget you have to do that with.

How many tapes?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Which Winnie the Pooh is that?

I'd definitely be interested in making sure that's capture in the best possible quality.

OBS is streaming software, lousy for trying to capture analog tapes. Wrong tool for the task. You need VirtualDub.

The VCR and capture cards also matters, as does presence of TBC.

I need full rundown on what you're using.
If you need to upgrade anything, I need to know what budget you have to do that with.

How many tapes?
Here is the capture card: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJKSJZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The VHS Player that I have is a Philips Magnavox Model No. VRA431AT24

I might have access to another VHS player from a friend, but I don't know its make or model. I think it might be a Sony though.

My concern over Virtual Dub is that it makes avi files, and I prefer to work with mkv or mp4.

There are about 12 tapes that I need to go through.

Budget is flexible since I'm not time constrained to get this done, so I can save up some money. However, I don't see myself preserving much beyond just these tapes so I don't want to over invest.

Thanks for the help!
05-25-2019, 08:44 PM
Site Staff | Video

And which Winnie the Pooh is that?

05-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Free Member

The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh show. Mainly those learning series VHS tapes.
05-25-2019, 08:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Are those your own original recordings, perhaps with 80s commercials?

05-26-2019, 09:57 AM
Free Member

They are not my recordings, but I still own these tapes. The show wasn't fully released on DVD, so I wanted to preserve these episodes in a format that doesn't deteriorate day by day.
05-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

Are these 80s commercials on the tapes?

Tags
disney, restore, rip, vhs