Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-25-2023, 03:31 AM
Free Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Lordsmurf and all other replies I finally have my set-up complete:
VCR: Sony svo5800p or JVC HR-7600
TBC: Kramer FC-400
(Panasonic DMR-ES10 if tearing appears)
Capture device: Pinnacle 710-USB
Capture software: VirtualDub

I am working on a Windows 10 laptop and I no matter what I try, I can't get the HuffYUV installed. It simply does not appear with the filters in VirtualDub. Because I have quite a lot of storage space, I'm considering capturing uncompressed.

On this forum I found an (older) quote of Lordsmurf who stated:
For about 5 years now, I routinely
- capture lossless 4:2:2,
- often encode out a 4:2:2 15mbps+ MPEG-2 archive copy,
- and deinterlace a copy for CRF 15-20 H.264 to 4:2:2

I want to follow this process. I have such a large collection to capture that even archiving HuffYUV is a bit too much for me. Moreover, I do not need to restore. I want to archive it properly.

My 2 questions:
1. Now that HuffYUV doesn't work, capturing uncompressed isn't wrong, right?
2. With which software should I archive to MPEG-2? Can I possibly still cut the beginning and end shorter? (e.g. if I turn off capture 10 minutes after a tape ended)

From all the topics I conclude that it is best to use Hybrid for the H264 file with QTGMC deinterlacing.

Thank you everyone!!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-25-2023, 11:40 AM
Free Member

Why can't you save interlaced 4:2:2 into h.264? For a fraction of the file size you get similar or better quality, h.264 is way more efficient than MPEG-2 and hard to notice the compression artifacts like you do for MPEG-2 for the same bitrate.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
04-25-2023, 12:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVR View Post
no matter what I try, I can't get the HuffYUV installed. It simply does not appear with the filters in VirtualDub.
You won't find it under Video > Filters, you will find it under Video > Compression.

You can install both versions of HuffYUV (32-bit and 64-bit) in case you're not sure which version of VirtualDub is installed.
04-25-2023, 12:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Why can't you save interlaced 4:2:2 into h.264? For a fraction of the file size you get similar or better quality, h.264 is way more efficient than MPEG-2 and hard to notice the compression artifacts like you do for MPEG-2 for the same bitrate.
In which software do you suggest I save the file to h.264 interlaced?
04-25-2023, 01:03 PM
Free Member

Mostly script type like avisynth and the likes. Not that I'm saying they don't exist, I'm just not familiar with them, Have you tried Hybrid? MPEG-2 is very old and unefficient, It was the best option 2 decades ago.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
04-25-2023, 02:11 PM
Free Member

Yes I know Hybrid. Thanks!
So when I directly after capturing encode to h.264 for archiving, there is no need to capture HufFYUV in stead of uncompressed, right?
04-25-2023, 03:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to Lordsmurf and all other replies I finally have my set-up complete:
VCR: Sony svo5800p or JVC HR-7600
TBC: Kramer FC-400
(Panasonic DMR-ES10 if tearing appears)
Capture device: Pinnacle 710-USB
Capture software: VirtualDub
Nice.

Quote:
I am working on a Windows 10 laptop and I no matter what I try, I can't get the HuffYUV installed. It simply does not appear with the filters in VirtualDub. Because I have quite a lot of storage space, I'm considering capturing uncompressed.
Did you try this?
https://github.com/hofmand/video-codec-installers

Quote:
Still accurate. It actually depends on content, and archive needs. But for anything kept in "cold storage", the "4:2:2 15mbps+ MPEG-2" is important.

Quote:
I want to archive it properly.
"Archive" is the key words" Not just a random copy to watch, or whatever. But a longterm version, often kept for unknown potential future needs, so compatibility and quality is a must.

Quote:
My 2 questions:
1. Now that HuffYUV doesn't work, capturing uncompressed isn't wrong, right?
Capture with another lossless. Try Lagarith. Overhead is more, so watch dropped frames. It is more CPU core intensive.

Quote:
2. With which software should I archive to MPEG-2? Can I possibly still cut the beginning and end shorter? (e.g. if I turn off capture 10 minutes after a tape ended)
I use MainConcept payware to get the 4:2:2.
Most freeware GUIs skip it, so you'd need to use CLI ffmpeg.

Quote:
From all the topics I conclude that it is best to use Hybrid for the H264 file with QTGMC deinterlacing.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
That's no entirely accurate. H.264 has a bad habit of blurring content, whereas MPEG-2 does not. MPEG makes blocks, H.264 makes mush. It's easy to see blocks, up bitrate. The mush is much harder to realize until it's too late.

Interlace H.264 doesn't always cooperate with software or players, either, whereas MPEG always does. Again, when archiving, for cold storage for later, later compatibility matters. When even the current compatibility is iffy, then avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofmand View Post
You won't find it under Video > Filters, you will find it under Video > Compression.
You can install both versions of HuffYUV (32-bit and 64-bit) in case you're not sure which version of VirtualDub is installed.

Quote:
Yes I know Hybrid. Thanks!
So when I directly after capturing encode to h.264 for archiving, there is no need to capture HufFYUV in stead of uncompressed, right?
I would not suggest this whatsoever. In the age of 26tb hard drives, I see zero reason to compress further from SD MPEG to H.264. It just makes no sense. Again, cold storage archives, not watching copies. Huge difference. Compression is for delivery, for watching. No sane archivist ever uses delivery, but they do used various compressed lossless and broadcast.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-25-2023, 04:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:

I want to follow this process.
You should not.
  • capture interlaced YUV 4:2:2 lossless and archive this capture.
  • do not archive compressed (mpeg2 nor h264); if space is an issue, make an effort and increase it; you won't regret if in the future you wish doing any post-processing
  • there is not a single reason to use MPEG2 today except for making DVDs
  • h264 is fine with interlaced material and far superior to MPEG2
  • be very careful with h264 4:2:2, many TV/Players do not read it.
  • for h264 encoding a simple ffmpeg command line is more than adequate if you do not process the capture

My suggestion: capture and archive lossless, do some processing in AviSynth or Hybrid to at least mask the head switching noise, compress to h264 4:2:0 for general distribution (4:2:2 only for PC or compatible players)