Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-26-2023, 10:13 PM
Free Member

I am trying to find the FFVH codec. For some reason VLC can play it, but Premiere CS5 can't. Premiere can read the standard Huffyuv format (HFYU), but it can't read FFVH for some reason. Gspot even says my PC doesn't have the FFVH codec installed. I have searched google, youtube, and many forums for a codec, but to no avail. The reason I'm trying to find it because I would like to use hybrid to de-interlace my huffy captures in my workflow. However, Hybrid seems to only encode to FFVH and not HFYU. But I still want to de-interlace them to a lossy format before I edit them and compress them for delivery. So I thought, why not deinterlace in Hybrid and keep it as Huffyuv (or similar huffy in this case) and then do any editing/compressing afterwards. After capture, I don't want to compress > edit > compress again. I figure that would only degrade the quality, right? Or am I wrong? Anyway, the main reasons I really want to stick with using Hybrid in my workflow to deinterlace is because I've discovered it is significantly faster than Vdub (specifically Vdub2 with Avisynth/QTGMC) and doesn't blow up my file size several times larger than my original huffy captures. Even using the direct stream option in Vdub2 wasn't helping tone down the file size increase. It turned a 68GB capture into a 200+GB file! Anyway, maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. But I need help on this.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-26-2023, 11:20 PM
Free Member

I believe that FFVH is in the FFDShow codec pack.
10-27-2023, 12:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofmand View Post
I believe that FFVH is in the FFDShow codec pack.
Okay. I was wondering about that. So I downloaded it, and then whenever I tried to play back the clip in Premiere it freezes up for a minute before I try to move the play head again and then Premiere freezes up again. Is there a location that FFDshow keeps the codecs? Do I have to copy & paste it to the Media Core folder? That's what I had to do with the standard Huffy codec in order to get the video to populate in Premiere.
10-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Free Member

FFVH isn't good for video editing because reverse seeking is very slow. I suspect that Premiere wasn't designed for that. FFVH is more of an archival codec.

HuffYUV is slightly worse compression but it's much more usable.
10-27-2023, 06:31 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofmand View Post
FFVH isn't good for video editing because reverse seeking is very slow. I suspect that Premiere wasn't designed for that. FFVH is more of an archival codec.

HuffYUV is slightly worse compression but it's much more usable.
Okay. Is Huffyuv not considered the best lossy version to capture? I thought it was, but I could be wrong. Also, if I wanted to stick with Hybrid for deinterlacing, what would suggest to encode it to? Specifically, if I don't want to compress until after any editing?
10-28-2023, 01:41 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaTime View Post
Okay. Is Huffyuv not considered the best lossy version to capture?
HuffYUV is lossless compression.
11-01-2023, 09:57 PM
Free Member

Just coming back here to let everyone know that I solved my importing issue by installing an older version of ffdshow! Specifically, I installed rev. 3572. It now imports and plays back smoothly. Hope this helps someone down the road.

Tags
deinterlace, ffvh, hfyu, huffyuv, hybrid