Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-27-2017, 05:53 PM
Free Member

Hi guys. Some advice if you don't mind? I'm trying to convert my captured MiniDV tapes (I used Scenalyzer via Lordsmurf's download instrucs, thanks to play back on my Samsung SMART TV. Samsung requires very specific file types and codecs to play back correctly (or at all). So far I've only gotten VOB files to play. But my MiniDV tape transfers aren't in VOB format and after Googling what seems to work for other Samsung TV owners, it seems that "MP4 in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec" is working for them. If you Google the Samsung formats, there are SEVERAL- is this the one you all would choose to playback on a large screen Samsung TV? What if I just converted them to VOB- can you even do that? What would quality be like? I've been using VLC media player to convert the files, but I don't really know what I'm doing settings-wise and don't know if using a program like Avidemux (not sure if that program even applies here) would improve results so much that I should try it instead? And I don't know the settings to use there either! I've read your "Guides" and "How To's" (SEVERAL times) and it's like I have a mental block about retaining this stuff. Obviously I'd like the better quality output- which program would you suggest for my needs? And could you advise on what my settings should be for this particular project?

Thanks!

Anyone? Any suggestions?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-30-2017, 09:09 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroverXpup View Post
I've been using VLC media player to convert the files,
Ouch! Don't do that. Use VLC for what it was designed to do -- as a player, not an encoder. There are probably worse ways of converting/encoding but offhand I can't think of any.

I gave up on freebie encoders like Avidemux, etc., a long time ago. They're too limited. They often force you to learn included components like Avisynth and others, and most assume that you know a lot more than you do now. OK if you already know what you're doing, but at this point you aren't even familiar with basic formats. For example, VOB is a specialized container for MPEG encoded video on authored DVD discs.

The two most universal codecs are still MPEG with AC3 audio (as .mpg files) and h.264/AAC audio (as .mp4 files). I'd say your best bet for getting a handle on video formats is to get a budget NLE that can also teach you a little about editing and can offer templates for quality encoding using preconfigured profiles. They're also OK for learning to make basic mp4's for internet posting, although in the long run there's specilized software that can get somewhat better web results but isn't designed for beginners. I'd suggest either of these packages, both of which are good buys in the budget range:
- Vegas Movie Studio 14 Platinum (formerly SONY, now from Magix), often at discount, as sold here: https://www.amazon.com/VEGAS-Movie-S.../dp/B01NBYOMJD
- Corel Video studio Pro X10 or X10.5
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: GroverXpup (01-01-2018)
01-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Believe it or not, some years ago I was going to attempt a major video project (major by my standards, anyway) and was all set to go...something came up and it got shelved. What's weird is at THAT time I knew a lot more about this stuff. I read one of my old posts from back then and I have retained NONE of that knowledge (obviously)!

I'll look into the software- I agree, it's probably the best way to go since I don't have the time to devote to such a complicated subject. And it's a minor project, actually. My parents would like to be able to watch our home videos on TV like they do Netflix. Videos won't be streamed (they're on an external HD), I just meant they'll be able to use their remote to select and control playback, etc. And truthfully, they could care less about the quality of playback! It's ME that wants them to look as good as they can without a lot of time and effort on my part. Later on, I WOULD like to learn to edit videos, create menus and just acquire a better understanding of how all this stuff works! Thanks again for your help!
01-02-2018, 06:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Yes, don't use VLC to encode anything. It's a very rudimentary ffmpeg implementation, and if you want ffmpeg-based encoding then you need to use Avidemux. It's easy. Handbrake is a bit too dummy-friendly, and then after you master Avidemux you can move on to Hybrid (which is what I use).

Those "smart" TVs are generally anything but smart. They're actually quite dumb. I gave my parents WDTVs, and after many times showing them what to do, they're generally pretty good with it. But I do still get calls that "something's wrong" (something minor).

Your DV conversions are Huffyuv lossless AVI, yes? Those need a deinterlace (QTGMC best, but you can use Yadif). That's a quick filter you choose on Avidemux when encoding out. VLC either didn't deinterlace, or did it automatically (and probably using a poor method).

VOB is just an MPEG in DVD-Video VOB containers. Most devices, even good ones, don't understand individual VOB files. If you want MPEG, convert to MPEG. That will allow interlace be retained. But files are 10x larger than H264/x264 in MP4, so be sure you have room on the stick or TV or whatever you use. Some of those "smart" TVs don't understand hard drives, either, just USB sticks.

Avidemux is pretty good for the price ($0), but I prefer MainConcept ($500). It's mostly a stability/batch thing, with advanced options like Hybrid has (but for x264).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: GroverXpup (01-23-2018)
01-23-2018, 06:08 PM
Free Member

Thank you LS for your suggestions and explanations. I apologize for the delayed response- had to go out of town unexpectedly! I wound up buying Corel Video Studio Ultimate X10 per Sanlyn's suggestion. I would love to someday delve into all the audio/video info available on this site- but for now I just need some quick conversions that will look decent for my needs. This is just for quickie playback, I have the original files saved properly (I HOPE) so that I can mess around and not ruin the integrity of the originals. KP converted some of my VHS-C tapes and I think a couple VHS tapes. But many of my tapes were converted by someone else who may not have used a process and/or format that you guys would suggest here on DFAQ. So I'm thinking about RE-DOING those. My mini-dv tapes I've been "capturing" with SC Live per your suggestion in the forums. Does that answer your question about the format then? Whatever that program captures in I guess! And I have MORE tapes to be converted- getting ready to check out that topic on here again (don't quite remember the "protocol" for requesting the service and arranging everything). Do you yourself ever do conversions for DFAQ members?
01-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Do you yourself ever do conversions for DFAQ members?
I oversee all conversions here, and do all the harder ones myself.

01-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Free Member

Awesome Shall I use the "contact us" link?
01-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Awesome Shall I use the "contact us" link?
Yes.

Tags
avidemux, convert video, minidv, samsung