Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-08-2023, 01:55 PM
Free Member

I'm doing a video project about the Joplin tornado and it involves syncing lightning and power flashes to other videos. All my other videos are synced perfectly but this one video has an issue where at one portion of the video the timing seemingly breaks and completely misaligns with the rest of the video.

In the attachment I uploaded you can see the issue , where both videos on top and bottom align, and then as it gets further along the timeline the video on the top completely loses sync. The video in question (which I also uploaded) is ripped from a security camera so if I had to guess probably the original uploader's camera must've been damaged in the tornado and the resulting video was bugged out. I just want to know if there's any kind of I way I can change the video speed or if this video's salvageable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg issue.jpg (24.0 KB, 8 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 security video.mp4 (15.68 MB, 11 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-08-2023, 03:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I'm not getting any audio at all on that clip.

Where did that video come from? It's obviously been re-encoded, probably multiple times now. It's not at all original from a camera, and re-encoding damage is the usual reason for a/v timing mismatch.

"ripped" is not captured. More details need to be known on the chain of custody, from original camera to what's attached.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-23-2023, 10:52 AM
Free Member

Hey, so I did some digging and I managed to find the original source of the video before all the reposting, here it is, it was uploaded 2 days after the tornado and the channel it comes from has two different videos from different angles. I noticed that on all the videos they posted all the videos had some kind of severe timing misalignment, the videos will randomly shift from being either sped up or sped down. What do you reckon from here?
07-24-2023, 07:29 AM
Free Member

I get no audio on the youtu.be clip either.

The EMP associated with a lightning stripe may have messed up the recording system causing lost frames of audio and/or video de-syncing it.

I would use a NLE to adjust audio/video sync in a clip and as necessary adjust augio or video playback speed to match other clips. A good VLE will also show audio waveforms to help in this process. (Usually better to change audio speed rather than video speed because audio has much finer granularity (e.g., 48k samples per second vs 30 frames per second).

Maybe it is too obvious but sound from lightning will always come after the flash; about 1 second for every 1000 feet.