04-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Premium Member

Is there a program (preferably free or shareware) to extract selected frames from an avi file and save them as jpg, gif, or bmp?

I have been capturing live TV with my Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 as mpg (6400-8000 bit rate), removing unwanted scenes using VideoRedo, then using Ulead to burn to DVD. This works fine, but sometimes I want to extract a frame or two to save as a jpg. VideoRedo does this (as a bmp, then I use LviewPro to convert to jpg using almost no compression), but for scenes that have movement the part that moves comes out blurry even in the VideoRedo screen. For example, if someone is turning their head then their body comes out fine but the head is blurry. So I thought of capturing as avi and picking out the frames with some tool that will generate a jpg, bmp, or gif.

Would you have any suggestions? Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Yes.

Now remember, video you have is most likely temporally compressed with interlace motion, so you may not get the EXACT frame you want in high quality, but usually you can get one that is close (lacks any sort of motion issues).

Use an MPEG-capable version of VIRTUALDUB, and then open the MPEG file. Drag the slider bar to the frame you want to grab, and then goto VIDEO and COPY FRAME TO CLIPBOARD.

Now open up your favorite image editing software (I suggest Photoshop 7 or higher) and then make a new blank file (size should be set automatic to the data seen on the clipboard) and then paste the image.

Now, video is low resolution, and has an aspect ratio that can stretch when viewed as square pixels. So you'll want to resize to 4:3 first in Photoshop. Most likely you'll have 352x480, 704x480 or 720x480 source. Resize to 640x480, and then crop off the overscan noise (if any) with the crop tool.

Now, if you want to make the image larger (to print), get the Photoshop 7 or higher plug-in GENUINE FRACTALS. I have GF Print Pro, the professional version. There are lesser versions available for less cost. This is where you upsize to print-worthy quality. It converts the image to fractals and resizes with a fractal method that looks far better than simple upsize methods found in Photoshop or other image software.

Another tool you may want to use if Neat Image, a professional photography filter that was created for dSLR cameras. It removes noise quite well. I'd run this prior to a fractal resize, if you use it.

You can safe to whatever format you want, JPEG, TIF, GIF, BMP, etc.

If you have motion video, interlace, and there is noise, one haphazard method you may want to try is to load the video clip into TMPGEnc Plus and then run an IVTC on a short clip (20 seconds, which includes the still you want) and see if the IVTC can eliminate the interlace frames and "restore" a film frame (or at least fake it, if the source was never film, sometimes it can do this). Be sure to pick the AUTO/ODD method, maybe try the AUTO/EVEN method too, see which looks best.

I realize this was all text, so it you need any pictures for anything specific, or links to any of the software discussed, then let me know.

I wrote a guide on cleaning and upsizing still images, with Photoshop and Genuine Fractals here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/...ases/lowresfix. htm

I frequently use these methods for creating DVD case artwork when source images are in limited supply, or when screen grabs are needed for printing, for whatever reason (usually also DVD case artwork, sometimes menu artwork).

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-30-2006, 02:00 AM
Premium Member

Wow, TMPGEnc's noise reduction filter really cleaned up the noise from the poor cable TV reception. It did, however, make the entire image a little too soft. I used the settings recommended in the guide (Still picture = 100%, Range (pixel radius) = 4). Is there something I can do without bringing back the noise? Thanks.
04-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

If you extract a still in VirtualDub and then use the Neat Image plug-in for Photoshop, it often can remove just as much noise (maybe more), but without sacrificing as much sharpness.

That's really all I can think of.

Another option is to take the TMPGEnc-cleaned image, and then do an unsharp mask on it in Photoshop.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!