Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

An H.264 has been created, to illustrate how Womble MPEG Video Wizard can be used to edit out commercials, and remove "junk" from before and after a video recording.

Video Guide

Notes:
  • I've re-arranged how the program windows are laid out, so that everything could show up in a relatively small 800x600 video (shown here at an even smaller 640x480 playback size). My full working screen is 1280x1024 on this particular machine, and I have my timeline on bottom (default out-of-the-box layout). You don't need to rearrange your work area to match mine.
  • Notice how I "zoom" in and out of the timeline, by right-clicking on the timeline measurement "ruler", and changing between a 1-frame, 1-second or even 5-minute distance. This allows me to get closer for precise cuts, but step back to view longer sections of video in a shorter timeline.
  • After you cut a segment with scissors, notice that both side of the cut are highlighted. To delete a segment, click off of your being-edited clip, into a blank area on an adjacent timeline. Then click on the object on your clip, and hit the DELETE key on your keyboard.
  • Be very careful to not stretch a video, only move it back and forth on the timeline. If it wants to stretch, due to bad cursor placement on the clip, the cursor will change to a bookend-like icon (similar to some of the keys above the ENTER key on a keyboard), instead of an arrow.
  • Once you've finished the video edits, notice the highlighted section of the timeline "ruler" is not the same length as your group of clips. To fix this, press END on the keyboard, followed by "O" (the letter, not a zero). Then press HOME, followed by "I". This marks the start and end point of your new video.
  • When you go to export, you'll want to look at the DETAILS of the video export. If you tried to mix clips of different settings on the timeline, then it will show them as red, to be re-encoded. This is not good, you never want to re-encode in Womble, it's a lousy encoder. It's only good for editing. If audio needs to be re-encoded, that's okay, although still not optimal. (I did not cover audio settings in this guide, didn't seem important right now.) If you have red spaces in your video, go back to your timeline, you probably have gaps in the video. Zoom in to a 1-frame distance if necessary, and try to move the clips together better.
  • Above all, go slowly. I've been using this software for 6+ years (since it was first released!), but I still go at a steady pace, and make sure to review the DETAILS window and scanning the timeline before exporting. If you go too fast, you may miss an edit, leave a gap, etc.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: Miketiger (01-20-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Free Member

At the start of the tutorial, you opened your video, and it went into the "Output" window, well on mine, I have an input and output window right next to each other, and there's a button on top of the input window and it only opens the video in that window...not in the output one like on yours.....does my video need to be in the output window? and if so, how do I get it in there?
03-02-2009, 01:53 PM

• My first bulleted note mentions that I had re-arranged my windows to make the guide fit in the available screen space for the video tutorial.
  • You can entirely close the input window, it's never needed.
  • You don't put a video in the preview windows. It simply shows what is on the timeline. As shown at the beginning of the video, your file is directly dragged from Windows ("My Computer") onto the timeline.

03-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Free Member

Is there anyway you can make that video a little slower if possible? What I'm cutting off is small few seconds of snow, the kind you get when u record, then stop, and record again..there's always a few seconds of snow type stuff before the next recording shows up...that's what I'm trying to eliminate, and then a few seconds of clips at the end when I recorded too long accidentally. My deletes aren't as big as yours..if you can't do it, that's alright. It was just a little tricky to try to follow along. I think I hit a wrong button and my video that I was working on deleted completely off the timeline lol

I made all of the videos that I'm going to be using Video Wizard with, so there's no commercials in them. Just like I said above, those snow screens occasionally, and if I accidentally capture too far over 3 hrs when I'm putting the video on my computer.

Last edited by Superstar; 03-02-2009 at 04:40 PM.
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM

Yikes! Not without re-making a video! Can't do that one very easily. Just play, pause, drag the slider back, play again, pause again. I'm mostly doing the same thing over and over again. You'll want to go much slower, so do 10-30 second timelines to scan for the errors, then go to the 1-frame level to make your cuts. I've done edits precisely like the one you refer to.

You can CTRL-Z to undo mistakes, or click the back arrow in the tools palette. And then you're able to save your timelines, too. One great benefit of Womble MVW over some of the other MPEG editors out there.

03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Free Member

Ok, I'll give it a shot, don't worry about re-making another video then. I'll figure it out.

So to cut the unwanted parts..
- Move the slider
- Bring up the window, select 30 seconds
- Click the scissors icon
- Move the slider to the ending of where I want to cut
- Press delete on the keyboard
- Slide and join the movie together

Is that right, or do I have a step mixed up..
Also, since I'm not doing a lot of edits, like I said, just 3,4 maybe a few more per video, and they're all small, do I need to worry about all of the things that you typed in the video post above, or do I just need to do a few basic things..

Can u outline the steps, that way I can kinda have a checklist with them as I watch the video, and it'll be easier for me to make sure I don't accidentally miss a step.

Thanks!

Last edited by Superstar; 03-02-2009 at 06:21 PM.
03-03-2009, 11:27 AM

• Drop video on timeline
  • Move slider back and forth to view. Your remove points are "glitches" instead of commercials, so the length is shorter, therefore view the timeline in smaller increments. Maybe 30 seconds, maybe even less (10-15 seconds) viewing "distance".
  • When you find a glitch, zoom in to a 1-frame distance, cut on both sides of glitches, then delete it.
  • Zoom back out to 10-15-30 (whatever) distance again, scan timeline for glitches. When you see one again repeat process as necessary.
Easy.

03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Free Member

Do I have to do anything special when I save it?
03-03-2009, 01:09 PM

As shown in the video, near the end, you click on the EXPORT button, and then pay attention to a few things in there. It's explained in the notes above, and shown in the video itself. Re-read and re-watch if necessary. I don't think I can explain or demonstrate it any other way.

03-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the great guide! I just used Video Wizard, and followed everything you said and it worked great. Thanks so much!

I just imported a video to the timeline, and the timeline turned a tan color, instead of green. What does that mean?
I tried another video, and the timeline turned blue..
The other 2 that I've done have turned the timeline green, like in your video...
03-04-2009, 07:47 PM

Every new video tends to be another color on the timeline. It helps you when you drag multiple videos to the timeline. Each one changes color. Mine have been pink, orange, yellow, purple, green, red, blue, tan, etc -- it's just pretty that way.

03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Free Member

Sometimes when I delete a clip, and then drag the clip to join the other side, and when I scroll back over it, the clip I just deleted is still there...why is that?

Nevermind, I think I figured it out. I just don't think I was dragging it over far enough, there must've been a little space left that I didn't realize.

"Once you've finished the video edits, notice the highlighted section of the timeline "ruler" is not the same length as your group of clips. To fix this, press END on the keyboard, followed by "O" (the letter, not a zero). Then press HOME, followed by "I". This marks the start and end point of your new video."

Should I always do this step before I export?
03-05-2009, 10:39 AM

Yes, that's why I wrote that note.
  • Sometimes you can skip it, and you'll be fine.
  • However, sometimes it will only export part of the timeline, because you did not mark it, especially if your clips are not all touching.

The following users thank admin for this useful post: Miketiger (01-20-2011)