Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Free Member

I have searched the posts, keeping up with reading the daily questions and perused the guides so far I just don't get it. After copying several tapes to my hard drive from a JVC GR-D250 video camera I need to encode to MPEG-2 and a few MP4 for my wifes facebook page. Is Aidemux 2.6.18 a viable encoder? I would also like to split off the audio and replace it in a few spots also. Can I do that with Avidemux? It is not intuitive to me how to use the program and havent found a step by step guide.

Next question is about when I need to deinterlace the DV to be used on the internet. Is this is done before encoding? What progrtam will deinterlace DV for the rare situation that it is required?

Last question is am I making it hard on myself by stubbornly using my windows 7 computer for dealing with DV? I know for capture XP seems to be the way to go.

Thanks you guys are the greatest
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Free Member

Searching through posts I found a suggestion for editing of DV using Adobe Premiere Elements. A quick look on amazon and Ebay shows Adobe-Premiere-Elements-10 with shipping under 14 bucks us. The only value this would be to me is if the encoding ie from DV to MPEG-2 or from DV to MP4 is reasonably good as I am ok with the editing functions of WOMBLE Video Wizard DVD already. Any opinions on Adobe-Premiere-Elements-10 as far as using it to encode?

It looks like at least in January of 2011 the good encoder for DV was MainConcept

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...s-digital.html #12
lordsmurf
Quote:
A DVD could be slightly lesser in quality due to the inherent instability found in home-shot footage. Why? Well between the MPEG compression scheme used on a DVD, and all the poor handheld shaky footage from the camera, you can end up with a somewhat noisy DVD. DV compression (~5:1) is less than that of MPEG-2 for DVD (~15:1), so there can be less noise. However, much of this really depends on the quality of the MPEG-2 encoder, and the settings used.

Here I use the professional ($500+) MainConcept Reference MPEG encoder, with multi-pass VBR settings, and I'll use DVD+R DL media when required. The DL disc allows more disc space so that I can use extra high bitrates. For me, quality is the same on both the original tape and the new DVD that I created.