07-12-2017, 05:29 AM
Premium Member

After trimming a segment or clip from a larger .avi file with VirtualDub, I loaded the trimmed segment/clip into VirtualDub and it showed this message window. If I hit the red X on this window, the whole VirtualDub program exits and dissappears, but if I don't hit the Red X and simply hit the Play button down on lower left input or preview play controls, the video plays, and that message box dissappears, and the trimmed file plays normally. Is this message box anything to worry about?

20170712_021838.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Are you capturing to RGB with huffyuv? The message states that the input compression colorspace is 24 bits. That's unusual because VirtualDub should be able to decompress it. How is your huffyuv set up? The huffyuv setup dialog should be set for "YUY2 compression method (predict median)", "RGB compression method (predict gradient)", and "Field threshold (288)". The other items should not be enabled.

How are you opening that file? The message image you posted refers to a VirtualDub shortcut.

It's a lot of trouble to take camera photos of your PC screen. Use the "PS" (Print Screen" key to capture an image of your PC desktop to the clipboard, then paste that into an image app, crop the results as needed, and save it as jpg or png.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (07-12-2017)
07-12-2017, 07:56 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
You always have the weird problems.
I've never seen that ... at least that I can remember.

@sanlyn, Greenshot works better than PRNTSRN+Paint/etc. Nice freeware screenshot software, use it all the time.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: sanlyn (07-12-2017)
07-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I've never seen that ... at least that I can remember.

@sanlyn, Greenshot works better than PRNTSRN+Paint/etc. Nice freeware screenshot software, use it all the time.
Thanks for that tip.
07-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Thanks for that tip.
It makes guides really easy to make.

sample-greenshit.jpg

07-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Yes, LOC! (Laugh Out Crying!)..Agreed, I havery a computer curse!..sometimes self-inflicted, other times not. BTW this started while learning how to Mask my videos in Virtual Dub, will post successful results.

Quote:
Are you capturing to RGB with huffyuv? The message states that the input compression colorspace is 24 bits. That's unusual because VirtualDub should be able to decompress it. How is your huffyuv set up? The huffyuv setup dialog should be set for "YUY2 compression method (predict median)", "RGB compression method (predict gradient)", and "Field threshold (288)". The other items should not be enabled.
Thank you sanlyn, looks like I need to make a few small tweaks to huffyuv configuration settings. There is a box checked that shouldn't be? Plus both RGB and YUY2 are set to "gradient" (I tried to research these settings and
got mixed up)... And I do apologize for "picture" of pc monitor, it's quicker for me because because my XP capture PC is not connected to the Internet.

2017-07-12 19.41.51.jpg

Quote:
How are you opening that file? The message image you posted refers to a VirtualDub shortcut.
I am using the Select File tab in Virtual Dub, and selecting a file that was edited using VirtualDub, located in a folder where VirtualDub edited files are stored.
Maybe VirtualDub auto assignes a shortcut to those edited files? I cannot see the original file icon in that or any other media file on my Video PC, because I have VLC set as the default player, and all media file icons have been replaced with that little orange VLC cone. Maybe VLC is affecting VirtualDub when first loading a file into VirtualDub?

Quote:
It's a lot of trouble to take camera photos of your PC screen. Use the "PS" (Print Screen" key to capture an image of your PC desktop to the clipboard, then paste that into an image app, crop the results as needed, and save it as jpg or png.
Yes, there's also the "Window Snip" feature on Win 7. I use it often, will use it in future posts, however I am using this Android Phone more and more lately, sometimes is a real blessing, other times a curse!

07-13-2017, 01:56 AM
Site Staff | Video

You can use Huffyuv (plain, non-hacked), and leave it at defaults.

07-13-2017, 02:09 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, is mine the hacked version? If so which version is plain?
07-13-2017, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

BTW sanlyn/lordsmurf, how do my current huffyuv settings (as pictured above) affect final capped video? As opposed to proper recommended settings? Should I reset and re-capture, or just reset and chalk one up for experience on future captures?

Last edited by rocko; 07-13-2017 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Change
07-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockovids View Post
looks like I need to make a few small tweaks to huffyuv configuration settings. There is a box checked that shouldn't be?
None of those checkboxes should be enabled.

Quote:
Plus both RGB and YUY2 are set to "gradient" (I tried to research these settings and
got mixed up)...
I described the recommended settings in Post #2 (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post50158). Why don't you use what everyone else uses and recommends?

Quote:
I am using the Select File tab in Virtual Dub, and selecting a file that was edited using VirtualDub, located in a folder where VirtualDub edited files are stored.
I'm using "File" -> "open video file...." in v.1.9.11 (Build 32842). If you're using VDub v.10.x, it's buggy. I don't remember what the menus look like on VDUb v.10, it gave me problems, so I removed it.

Quote:
Maybe VirtualDub auto assignes a shortcut to those edited files? I cannot see the original file icon in that or any other media file on my Video PC, because I have VLC set as the default player, and all media file icons have been replaced with that little orange VLC cone. Maybe VLC is affecting VirtualDub when first loading a file into VirtualDub?
No, VLC doesn't affect opening a file in VirtualDub. Windows assigned the VLC icon to video file listings because VLC is your default AVI player. If you assigned Windows Media Player as your default player you'd see the WMP icon instead of VLC.

Quote:
BTW sanlyn/lordsmurf, how do my current huffyuv settings (as pictured above) affect final capped video? As opposed to proper recommended settings?
Why would you not use the proper recommeneded settings? The setting for YUY2 is "predict median (best)". Do not enable any checkboxes. Likely the use of non-recommended settings gives you weird messages.

Quote:
Should I reset and re-capture, or just reset and chalk one up for experience on future captures?
Set up huffyuv as recommended and just continue. If another huffyuv file gives you a message like that, fast-recompress with the recommended settings.

Last edited by sanlyn; 07-13-2017 at 08:59 AM.
07-13-2017, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Yes, will fix settings as recommended, I did set field threshold to 288 a few months ago after asking about it, and by the way, given different opinions from several folks, including lordsmurf, but I stayed with yours. Then got a few different answers/opinions concerning RGB/YUY2 settings, but again will stick with your instructions as stated above, Thanks.
07-13-2017, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Yes, the recommended settings that most people use are historically considered t be optimized for the kind of post processing most people do. It would be interesting to see what others have been saying about alternate settings. Can they prove their case, or are they just speed addicts? If you'd rather avoid all that controversy just use Lagarith. It's easier, and all you set is the colorspace. Lagarith works with YV12, YUY2, and RGB. There's no threshold and no media/gradient choices to argue about.
07-13-2017, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

I will check later, think I Installed lagarith on my cap pc upon your recommend a few years ago, hope it works with ATI MMC. I Sometimes get stuck using what "seems to work for now" without trying new things, mostly due to limited time right now, looking for better income. However getting my railroad tapes propely converted and shared is also a top priority also, before it's too late. I find this whole thing "Frustratingly Relaxing"!!