I had 51 episodes without split screens and only 1 episode with. I wanted the set to be completely without split screen credits. All episodes are from S-VHS and captured to 352x480 for DVD, set is gorgeous.
I captured the end credits at 720x480 and then opened the capture file in VirtualDub
. I used NULL TRANSFORM filter and cropped off the left half of the image, keeping just the credits. I used the RESIZE filter and resized what was left to 352x480, which was not a change of many pixels.
I encoded the credits separately, and then merged them to the rest of the episode. I took music from one of the other episodes, as it had no voiceovers.
- To encode, I frameserved out of VirtualDub
into TMPGEnc (frameserve out with, save the session as an AVS instead of a VDR, AVISynth must be isntalled, but you don't have to script for it). In TMPGEnc, I covered over the edges with black bars, mostly to keep encode quality, as the edges were offscreen in the overscan.
- The splicing of video and audio files was done in Womble MPEG Video Wizard.
I know some people are strict in not wanting splitscreens. Well, here you go, a way to fix episodes, assuming you have a pure version to compare with (and take music from).
Friends who have seen my X-MEN project know I left some split screens in during the last season for a few episodes, but I added in the end credit music tracks (instead of the obnoxious advertising talk). This goes one step further. Almost wished I'd done it on X-MEN, but c'est la vie. Didn't think of it back then.
As you can see in the sample image above, it's not perfect, but it's still pretty close. The source was still a bit cropped as compared to a normal version. Each of the credits in this show were TRUE credits, not generic ones. Voice actors and all changed per episode. This is why credits were not simply cut off another episode.