Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-24-2022, 01:24 PM
Free Member

I've only seen this on this one tape, so I'm assuming it's damage to the tape itself, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TapeDmg.jpg (242.6 KB, 28 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-24-2022, 04:34 PM
Free Member

Looks a bit like the effect you get when playing a SVHS tape in a normal VHS deck (without SQPB), or damaged heads.

If other tapes are ok it's probably something that happened when the tape was recorded rather than tape damage. Looks a bit like it could have been a dub from a tape playing on bad deck or SVHS recording in VHS deck.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
03-25-2022, 01:32 PM
Free Member

Actually that makes it even weirder. There were 2 tapes, both made at a small company that did commercial tape productions for people. They're short videos so the 2 tapes are both the type that have big spools and not a lot of tape.

Both made at the same place at the same time, and 1 works fine and the other looks like that. Considering all this, should I assume that it's tape damage? I don't suppose there's a fix for it?

Thanks

DM
03-25-2022, 01:53 PM
Free Member

You can assume if that makes you happy but that's not how problems get solved, Have you read the above post and made an effort upon it to see what format is recorded on tape?
If you want help post pictures of the tapes, a short clip and the hardware used to play it back, if you choose to assume there is no need to start a thread.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
03-25-2022, 04:47 PM
Free Member

Look for the S-VHS coding hole in the cassette bottom. If absent it is not likely a S-VHS recording.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg S-VHS.JPG (79.7 KB, 9 downloads)
03-26-2022, 01:57 PM
Free Member

Thanks

I checked and they are SVHS tapes. Odd that the one played fine and the other didn't, but at least now I know the issue. I've been looking for a S-VHS player locally but haven't had much luck. I also can't afford one of the good ones currently. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Look for the S-VHS coding hole in the cassette bottom. If absent it is not likely a S-VHS recording.
03-26-2022, 02:59 PM
Free Member

Keep an eye on local thrift shops, Salvation Army stores, yard sales, etc. Every so often a working one might show up for a nominal cost. Good luck in the hunt. If you find one, test it with a scratch tape first to verify it doesn't eat tapes.

A member here might live near you and be able to check it for you.

Plain VHS VCRs will record VHS mode on SVHS tape. SVHS recorders will normally record VHS mode on VHS tape. Might have had a mixed bag of VCRS in the tape makers dup rack.